X-29 Build - Swept forward in the fun

Vimana89

Legendary member
+1 to what @mayan said.

I also want to see it stand on its tail, I bet you have more than enough thrust on the 6s to do it. 😉
I second this! I'd at least like to see a good cobra if not a full vertical tail stand.

Also, you've got this. I believe in you(y). If things aren't perfect this time around with the maiden for some reason, just rinse and repeat till you get it.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Back from the flying site and flew the FIMI A3 quad, that's brilliant. My Goblin on 3S and its such a fun plane to fly. My AR Stealth Wing 900 with iNav and it's coming together, cruise working, return to home perfect, loiter is a bit dodgy and the stabilized is on rails.

Oh and the FT X-29 --------- WOW WOW WOW!!!!!! just awesome, in the air it cuts a completely unique silhouette which gathers attention!
I used my hat cam and a hand held video camera, the hand held video quality was garbage sadly. I left the maiden to the safe hands of John.

Last edited:

Vimana89

Legendary member
Looks marvelous! You got enough to see its silhouette pretty well and how it flies. From what I can see, it has a pretty decent speed envelope, so you can cruise around gently until you get the hang of it. Very maneuverable banking, ailerons are probably pretty sensitive, so looks like "less is more" on the throws (unless your trying to do high g stuff). Once you get good with it, I would bet it could do a tail stand or at least a good cobra, just for a flare or maybe continue a bit straight forward. I'm no expert, but I would probably not try to actually maneuver it at high angles of attack, just more a flare or straight shot.

From what I know(and piece together with educated guesses, could be wrong about this), that sort of wing has a symmetrical enough air flow to not stall in high alpha, but with small root chord and wider span up front, and convergence of vortices into a single trail it is probably not so stable or maneuverable at these angles. It's like standing on top of a pole with your arms spread trying to balance. My sliver can turn and maneuver in high aoa, much better than either of my Nutball variants, because the vortexes are splitting into two somewhat symmetrical trails rather than converging into one, so it's like standing on a wide platform(root chord), supported by two strong pillars, with your arms tucked against your sides so hard they are practically receding into your body. Funny images, but its the best I can describe all this nerdy stuff:geek:.

Anyway, great looking plane, you've got the space and the support to fly it and grow with it! Looks like a ton of fun, and makes me want to take a crack at a forward swept build some time soon.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Looks marvelous! You got enough to see its silhouette pretty well and how it flies. From what I can see, it has a pretty decent speed envelope, so you can cruise around gently until you get the hang of it. Very maneuverable banking, ailerons are probably pretty sensitive, so looks like "less is more" on the throws (unless your trying to do high g stuff). Once you get good with it, I would bet it could do a tail stand or at least a good cobra, just for a flare or maybe continue a bit straight forward. I'm no expert, but I would probably not try to actually maneuver it at high angles of attack, just more a flare or straight shot.

From what I know(and piece together with educated guesses, could be wrong about this), that sort of wing has a symmetrical enough air flow to not stall in high alpha, but with small root chord and wider span up front, and convergence of vortices into a single trail it is probably not so stable or maneuverable at these angles. It's like standing on top of a pole with your arms spread trying to balance. My sliver can turn and maneuver in high aoa, much better than either of my Nutball variants, because the vortexes are splitting into two somewhat symmetrical trails rather than converging into one, so it's like standing on a wide platform(root chord), supported by two strong pillars, with your arms tucked against your sides so hard they are practically receding into your body. Funny images, but its the best I can describe all this nerdy stuff:geek:.

Anyway, great looking plane, you've got the space and the support to fly it and grow with it! Looks like a ton of fun, and makes me want to take a crack at a forward swept build some time soon.
One of the things about forward swept wings, it's supposed to be far less likely to tip stall.....but I don't plan on testing that anytime soon :)

Vimana89

Legendary member
One of the things about forward swept wings, it's supposed to be far less likely to tip stall.....but I don't plan on testing that anytime soon :)
That's good. Sensitive ailerons will be easier to handle without that tendency of tip stall. I think its a great looking plane and was worth the effort. For what you want to do with it, I think it is really well suited. High speed passes and clean banks for days, doesn't stall at high alpha or tip stall. I bet it could roll and knife edge if you ever want to try. Maybe some wing over turns?

Vimana89

Legendary member
@CarolineTyler - I am glad we have that behind us now - well done - I still can't wrap my head around how these EDF have so much power! :eek::LOL:
Same engines in a leaf blower. I saw a kid in 6th grade(back in like 01,02) bring in a hovercraft for the science project his family helped with some. You had to plug it in, but it could hold a person and slide around like an air hockey puck. It was powered by a single electric leaf blower, which uses a ducted fan so yeah, lots of potential for big thrust. They just hog power a lot more than props.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
@CarolineTyler I loved it, seemed to fly amazing. Like @kilroy07 said now it's your turn :). I'll probably buy the electronics missing for mine on my next pay check having had a few large expenses this month, and not on any hobby stuff :(.
John said it was really nice to fly, I had 60% expo on the roll and pitch, he advised upping it a little more on the roll and reducing it a tad on the pitch. So now on 70% on roll and 50% on pitch. That and the upping the timer to 3 1/2 minutes was the only changes I've made. Looking forward to my first flight which looking at the weather forecast may be a while away ☹️
Definitely get someone else to launch it, it's a bit too big to do yourself.

L Edge

Master member
Going to give you some pointers:
Remember where the sun is, so you either fly above it or below it, not thru it. If you do go thru the sun, close one eye and open it after you have passed so you can see clearly and pick up the shape of the plane.

For landing, keep a small amount of throttle above stall and only back off when your about 6 to 12 inches above the field ready to land, then bring back to off.
Best way to recognize a stall, is when you move your controls and they really are mushy to the command.
Mentally plan your flight and just do it. I coached a student who placed 2nd at the nationals so you can see where my background lies. Even taught a deaf person how to fly.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Going to give you some pointers:
Remember where the sun is, so you either fly above it or below it, not thru it. If you do go thru the sun, close one eye and open it after you have passed so you can see clearly and pick up the shape of the plane.

For landing, keep a small amount of throttle above stall and only back off when your about 6 to 12 inches above the field ready to land, then bring back to off.
Best way to recognize a stall, is when you move your controls and they really are mushy to the command.
Mentally plan your flight and just do it. I coached a student who placed 2nd at the nationals so you can see where my background lies. Even taught a deaf person how to fly.
Completely agree, I wasn't flying! :)