X-29 Build - Swept forward in the fun

L Edge

Master member
When you fly an EDF(no gear), do not fly on a field that was just recently mowed or it is wet!!! First flight was okay and I never checked for grass in the inlet(or dirt or pebbles).

Chucked the second flight and heard a nice buzz and the bird dropped to the ground. Inspection revealed chunks of wet grass that went thru the blade and made a mess. It was the only balanced 70 EDF I ever bought and it lasted a total of 3 flights. Now I either look inside before flying or design the EDF so it is can't scoop that stuff up.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
When you fly an EDF(no gear), do not fly on a field that was just recently mowed or it is wet!!! First flight was okay and I never checked for grass in the inlet(or dirt or pebbles).

Chucked the second flight and heard a nice buzz and the bird dropped to the ground. Inspection revealed chunks of wet grass that went thru the blade and made a mess. It was the only balanced 70 EDF I ever bought and it lasted a total of 3 flights. Now I either look inside before flying or design the EDF so it is can't scoop that stuff up.
Wise advice!!!!

Vimana89

Legendary member
Where I live, there is a mating season around spring to summer-ish for painted lady butterflies. Very beautiful, but sadly just so many of them they splat into your car like hail. Probably not a good time for flying EDF's once I get into those.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Where I live, there is a mating season around spring to summer-ish for painted lady butterflies. Very beautiful, but sadly just so many of them they splat into your car like hail. Probably not a good time for flying EDF's once I get into those.
It was flying ant day yesterday evening, there would have been many chewed up on the blades if I had flown!!! 🤣🤣

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I found a need to reduce throws on the aileron input and full bore on elevator.

Reason is physics. The elevator is maybe 3" from CG, and ailerons are maybe 12" out. That's 4 time the effect. And as always expo. And you'll have a good time.

Ask me how I know. :eek:

mayan

Legendary member
I found a need to reduce throws on the aileron input and full bore on elevator.

Reason is physics. The elevator is maybe 3" from CG, and ailerons are maybe 12" out. That's 4 time the effect. And as always expo. And you'll have a good time.

Ask me how I know. :eek:
Hmmm I guess you’ve built one ;?

kilroy07

Legendary member
Well, if you need something to dissuade you, the EDF, ESC and battery combination is a pain in the bank balance ;) but I would not feel good myself seeing such a pretty plane marred by a prop at the back, it just would jar too much.
Yup, I'm with ya!!
But it's too late to dissuade me...
(Just ordered 2 of the EDFs (but only 4S) for the SR and 2 more ESCs (I don't think the 60s I have would be enough...) I could have gone 6s, but I think the SR is really close to flying without it and that would have been a bit more... (I do have enough twin 3s batteries to run 6s though...) I "Might" get one for an X-29 build in the future... (Current build(s) come first however!) LOL

It was also your video on 4s scooting across the carpet that had me convinced with two of those, the SR should really move!
(Also, making room for two 6s batteries would probably require a rework of the battery tray.)

Good luck with the maiden this weekend!!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Yup, I'm with ya!!
But it's too late to dissuade me...
(Just ordered 2 of the EDFs (but only 4S) for the SR and 2 more ESCs (I don't think the 60s I have would be enough...) I could have gone 6s, but I think the SR is really close to flying without it and that would have been a bit more... (I do have enough twin 3s batteries to run 6s though...) I "Might" get one for an X-29 build in the future... (Current build(s) come first however!) LOL

It was also your video on 4s scooting across the carpet that had me convinced with two of those, the SR should really move!
(Also, making room for two 6s batteries would probably require a rework of the battery tray.)

Good luck with the maiden this weekend!!
Not this weekend, the one after it. Still painting and finishing it.
I will test the thrust on 6S and fully expect it to not just to be able to hover but to rather rapidly lift off :)

L Edge

Master member
CT
Like to give you tips for EDF's:
1) Holding it vertical and move throttle forward, find position where it almost balances itself. (Let's say at 1/2 throttle.) If it takes full throttle, really overweight plane.
So try 3/4T or slightly more on launch, otherwise things happen too fast. Have someone to help you launch and do not go throw steeper than 30 degrees or it will stall and roll over and nose or wing plant.
2) So as it as gets to altitude, pull back throttle so it cruises around nicely and trim out. If you are brave enough and at 3 crash heights, keep slowing down and approach stall speed and that will determine what speed you should use landing.
3) Have a timer, set for 2 min for first flight. Time to come in. Why, since you are a beginner. what happens if you are high, hot and heavy, you will go need a go around(remember spooling of EDF). How about another miss, you will be endanger with no battery left. Remember, max is about a 4-5 min flight(if you are lucky) and to go around and try again, uses up lots of valuable time. Besides, it is a good idea to check your plane to insure everything is okay before you try top speed.
4) What you need to do(concentrate) if airborn and engine craps out(ESC), pull throttle to off and count to 3 slowly and in meantime, use your controls to line up for a landing as the ESC will allow servos to function, If you try to cheat throttle time off, it will not go on, so concentration of time is important.
5) Do not make any tight turns or you will lose lots of altitude quickly.

Get to know your plane at a good speed before trying for top speed. I started off at racing at 100mph, then 135 and finally 185 plus. You need to be comfortable before moving up. At 6s, it will feel like NASCAR speed.

mayan

Legendary member
CT
Like to give you tips for EDF's:
1) Holding it vertical and move throttle forward, find position where it almost balances itself. (Let's say at 1/2 throttle.) If it takes full throttle, really overweight plane.
So try 3/4T or slightly more on launch, otherwise things happen too fast. Have someone to help you launch and do not go throw steeper than 30 degrees or it will stall and roll over and nose or wing plant.
2) So as it as gets to altitude, pull back throttle so it cruises around nicely and trim out. If you are brave enough and at 3 crash heights, keep slowing down and approach stall speed and that will determine what speed you should use landing.
3) Have a timer, set for 2 min for first flight. Time to come in. Why, since you are a beginner. what happens if you are high, hot and heavy, you will go need a go around(remember spooling of EDF). How about another miss, you will be endanger with no battery left. Remember, max is about a 4-5 min flight(if you are lucky) and to go around and try again, uses up lots of valuable time. Besides, it is a good idea to check your plane to insure everything is okay before you try top speed.
4) What you need to do(concentrate) if airborn and engine craps out(ESC), pull throttle to off and count to 3 slowly and in meantime, use your controls to line up for a landing as the ESC will allow servos to function, If you try to cheat throttle time off, it will not go on, so concentration of time is important.
5) Do not make any tight turns or you will lose lots of altitude quickly.

Get to know your plane at a good speed before trying for top speed. I started off at racing at 100mph, then 135 and finally 185 plus. You need to be comfortable before moving up. At 6s, it will feel like NASCAR speed.
Thanks for the great tips!