X6i, frsky tranus plus

jipp

next month i need to buy a TX. when i originally wanted to get into this hobby i picked up a Hitec Optic 6. and yes its dated and not even 2.4ghz ( was a few years ago, the reciot shows i paid 160.00 for it.laughs ). thats ok tho. it is now my dedicated TX for flight simulators. less wear and tear for my main radio.

i plan on getting a couple of BNF airframes along with my blade nano Qx, and i did buy a handful of lemon spectrum RX for 2.50 a piece.. i figure at that price it be cool for a few park flyers etc..

now I was originally thinking of just getting a Tranus Plus and the Orange Spectrum module. ( i have read every thread on this radio even before the pluss was put out with all the hardware updates.. i read this over on rcgroups. heh i did a lot of reading before i even decided to buy my first peice of foam. so i know what the radio is about in that aspect..

but im starting to think i should go ahead and get a cheap x6i spectrum radio. then down the road go ahead and get the tranus. i figure buy doing this i will know more what i want in a radio.. and at least the spectrum x6i will not become useless junk on the shelf.. because i can use it for BNF etc. of course you have the turnigy version of the tranus that maybe quite capable and better suited to multirotors as that is where my interest is leading me ( so maybe that is another thing to think about which TX better suited to ones need.. i do not see my self doing any glider stuff for example )..the idea of flying a plane got my interest back into the hobby, but i think quads will win me over.. :p
then they will be illegal, go figure. LOL. day late and a buck short.

so do you think my thinking is a practical one? i have little cash flow each month to play with. so i have over think simple things :p

rock on.
stay healthy.
chris.

Last edited:

brettp2004

In my opinion, I think you should go ahead and get a Taranis with the Orange Module. I love the Taranis so I might be a little bias. But if you think you'll want the Taranis down the road you might as well get it now.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
The Taranis is, for most fliers, all the radio you will ever need or want. If you are reasonably sure you're in the hobby for the long haul, I would recommend the Taranis. You may never outgrow the DX6i, but you definitely will never outgrow the Taranis.

HOWEVER...

Because you intend to fly a lot of BnF, the DX6i is a stronger choice than it would otherwise be. The thing is, you have to ask yourself, are you going to want to do advanced programming that the DX6i can't do? Are you going to want more than 6 channels? If so, then $130 is a lot to spend on a radio that you're eventually going to outgrow.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Because you intend to fly a lot of BnF, the DX6i is a stronger choice than it would otherwise be. The thing is, you have to ask yourself, are you going to want to do advanced programming that the DX6i can't do? Are you going to want more than 6 channels? If so, then $130 is a lot to spend on a radio that you're eventually going to outgrow.

Are you suggesting that because of the model limits of the OrangeRX module? The DIY module that was posted before seems to not have those.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Are you suggesting that because of the model limits of the OrangeRX module? The DIY module that was posted before seems to not have those.

I'm just saying that the DX6i is going to be easier to set up for a BnF model than the Taranis. All the channels and switches are automatically going to be in the right place. Just bind and fly--like the name says! With the Taranis, you will have to create a new model, map the channels, decide which switch you want to do what, and so forth. And, if you're like me, you LOVE that level of freedom. But not everybody does. Some people just want to fly their dang model, not fiddle with their transmitter all the time. "OH! Do I want flaps on the left switch or the right switch? Do I want 20% flaps at the middle position, and 40% flaps at the down position, or maybe this other switch can turn the flaps on and off, and alternate between flaps and air brakes, and then this slider can control the amount. How much expo should I have on the elvator vs. the aileron? Dual rates, yes, or no?" Etc... If that sounds like you, get the Taranis and don't look back. If that makes you want to vomit, maybe get the DX6i.