Your TOP 5 Noobie Questions?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
While I am not new here, I would like to ask all you new-in-the-hobby guys, What are your TOP 5 Questions you want answers too?

Mine were:
  1. How much money ($$) should I have to Start?
  2. How do I select a Transmitter?
  3. What plane should I start with?
  4. What do all those numbers on the motor specs mean?
  5. (after the Plane was Build) How do I know I'm ready to Fly - CG?

Aslansmonkey

Are you looking for answers to your questions or just for more questions?

If more questions...

6) Where is it safe to fly?

If answers...

1) Figure about $300 all told. That should get you a transmitter, all the gear for the plane, the FB kit or sheets of foam, a battery and a battery charger. MOST of that can be re-used on future planes though. Outside the cost of the bare kit, I spend about $50 on the electronics for a new plane assuming I'm just binding to the same transmitter and using the batteries I already bought.
2) Do some research, but even that can lead you astray. I own a Frsky Taranis X9 Light transmitter which I almost NEVER use, and is bound to like 2 planes right now. I also own a budget Flysky FS-I6x, which is a cheap transmitter that does EVERYTHING I need and has 18 planes bound to it. I know if I ever do anything really complicated I'll probably have to learn to use the Taranis. But right now the Flysky does the trick, even when doing Elevon mixes.
3) Any broad high wing plane should do well to start. The FT Explorer is a great example, but my son learned on the Bushwacker. Your second plane should be the scout. You'll never stop loving the scout.
4) Roughly the first number is the size of the stator, though some manufacturers use the can size. Basically it's how big the motor is. Bigger motors have more torque. The "KV" number is how many times it will spin per battery cell at full speed...roughly. Higher numbers spin faster, and generally require smaller props. This is really a more complex topic than can be covered quickly.
5) Check your CRAP:
C = Control Surfaces. Everything moves freely and the correct way when you move the transmitter controls
R = Rips and tears. Look the plane over and make sure nothing is broken that will affect flying. Nothing worse than thinking "this plane is flying funny" then watching the rudder fall off.
A = Angles. The rudder should be perpendicular to the tail surface. The tail surface should be parallel with the average plane of the wings both from the side and from the front. If something is aligned wonky, the plane will fly wonky (or not at all)
P = Power. You did hook up the battery, right? Are you using a throttle lock switch? Did you turn that off?
Those things are in addition to the CG check, which is, of course, also very important.

6) Open field with good lines of sight where you have permission to fly. I think public parks are generally ok, but make sure you're not flying over people (or pets) or in any way where you may irritate someone. When you fly, you represent not only yourself but our sport in general.

FoamyDM

Are you looking for answers to your questions or just for more questions?
What are your TOP 5 Questions you want answers to? I want your questions.

I am working to bring experts onto my podcast to answer these questions. While my co-host and I have done my best to present the core information, I want to know what subject I need guests for, and what questions to ask.

Keep them coming please

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
--What is a good way to learn to solder, without practicing on important aircraft equipment?

--What do I need to know about LiPo battery charging/use/discharge/storage/safety?

--Why should I start with a trainer as my first plane, as opposed to a cool Jet?

--What the Flerken is RC Pilot Etiquette?

FoamyDM

--What is a good way to learn to solder, without practicing on important aircraft equipment?

--What do I need to know about LiPo battery charging/use/discharge/storage/safety?

--Why should I start with a trainer as my first plane, as opposed to a cool Jet?

--What the Flerken is RC Pilot Etiquette?
These are great!

... and tempting not to answer.

... can't resist #1, Learn to solder by practicing on LESS important aircraft... if you don't have those, get the casing off your alarm clock.... :LOL::ROFLMAO:

OK, sorry. Back to the topic.

bwarz

Master member
there are 'learn to solder' kits that don't cost much that come with some 'junk' boards & wires to practice with.
even that, noting to people that while one soldering iron tip could be used to solder 2.5mm bullet connectors or Xt60s to your batteries and the signal wires between your fc and esc should you? the right tool for the right job as my dad always said... Practice Practice Practice on things similar to what you plan to solder:D

DrthVdr

What's a gyro and do i need it? Wont it teach me bad habits?
Why electric? I want a cool NITRO plane, like my grand pappa flew.
Why these silly foam toy planes? I want a sexy balsa plane to start with.
Why join a club? I want to fly any ware.
Are there different skills required for slope soaring as apposed to gliding or fixed wing motorized flight?