Zlin X XIII - yugoslavia racer from 1939

leaded50

Legendary member
The Zlin Z-XIII was a purpose built racing and high speed courier aircraft. It was built in 1937 using a 130 hp Wlater Major 4 in line four cylinder engine. It had a maximum speed of 350 kph, but also, a very high landing speed of 140 kph. This required a very experienced pilot to fly it, unlike the Z-XII which was a docile and fun to fly plane that sold very well. One prototypes were presented in April 1935.
It was one of the first aircraft to feature wing flaps and a variable pitch propeller. The wings were also built as a single unit to which the fuselage could be attached.
It wa hidden from the Germans under the war and survivved, restored to a museum in Yugoslavia now.

Zlin-Z-XIII_a.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
The Zlin Z-XIII was a purpose built racing and high speed courier aircraft. It was built in 1937 using a 130 hp Wlater Major 4 in line four cylinder engine. It had a maximum speed of 350 kph, but also, a very high landing speed of 140 kph. This required a very experienced pilot to fly it, unlike the Z-XII which was a docile and fun to fly plane that sold very well. One prototypes were presented in April 1935.
It was one of the first aircraft to feature wing flaps and a variable pitch propeller. The wings were also built as a single unit to which the fuselage could be attached.
It wa hidden from the Germans under the war and survivved, restored to a museum in Yugoslavia now.

View attachment 224808
Ooh, i like that, both because it looks cool and it appeals to the aviation nerd in me! 😁

leaded50

Legendary member
unusual, and quite great lines in the design. Im building it 1:10 scale 700mm wingspan, length approx 685mm.
Its fuselage/design was quite slim, wonder how it been moving with a bigger engine that time :) 130 hp gave it a maximum speed of 350 kph

im back again in a wheelchair because falled and wrecked hard my left knee, with a right foot with problems from before... the chair was only possibilility, Doc wanted having me on the hospital, but its as easy to conytol it hhere if something happends.

So booooored, planebuild take away some of it :sneaky:

DSC_1352.JPG

Last edited:

The Fopster

Master member
unusual, and quite great lines in the design. Im building it 1:10 scale 700mm wingspan, length approx 685mm.
Its fuselage/design was quite slim, wonder how it been moving with a bigger engine that time :) 130 hp gave it a maximum speed of 350 kph

im back again in a wheelchair because falled and wrecked hard my left knee, with a right foot with problems from before... the chair was only possibilility, Doc wanted having me on the hospital, but its as easy to conytol it hhere if something happends.

So booooored, planebuild take away some of it :sneaky:

View attachment 224818
Would be a good companion plane for the 13thsquadron Caudron racer design!