Dayton Wright RB-1 racer , concept plane for the Gordon Bennett Air Race

leaded50

Legendary member
as most probarly know now, im a fan of "weird planes".... prototypes, design proposals of airplanes, or airplanes in very low productuion numbers. Whatever era they belongs into. Unique planes, that you not see everywhere! As RC models many probarly never seen, or heard about.

My last build now is a American racer airplane from the 20´s , developed as a single concept plane for the Gordon Bennett Air Race.
It was perhaps one of the most advanced concepts developed during the entire period. The pilot was entirely enclosed in the fuselage, which was of wooden semimonocoque construction. The cantilever wing was constructed entirely of wood an employed leading- and trailing-edge flaps. These flaps in effect provided variable camber so that the airfoil section could be adjusted to its optimum shape for both high-speed and low-speed flight, a variable-camber wing!
This extremely advanced feature did not appear on production aircraft until the development of the jet transport in the 1950's.
Front section of the wing acted as flaps, rear acted also as ailerons. They were interconnected together, and cooperated with retracting landing gear. As the gear was extended, the flaps deflected down. - with the trailing edge being a plain flap, and the leading edge functioning similarly. All system was operated by a crank in the center of the instrument panel and took 12-20 seconds.
The landing gear on the racer retracted into the fuselage in very much the same way as that used in later Grumman fighters of the thirties and forties, and seaplanes.

. The Dayton Wright RB-1 racer

Its has quite a sleek shape of that time, and was called the "mackerel" by some who felt it looked a little as a sleek streamlined fish shape.

My idea is make it at approx 900mm wingspan, with fully functional vaiable camber wing, and undecarriage retract.
Many parts in the retract system seems needed be made in 3D print, and also since this model get a "ok" size, im making a pilot and some closed cocpit for him.
Place inside is no problem... even buildt as 860mm long, it will anyway scale have a fuselage 200mm high........

DaytonWrightRB1_4.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
start of the cowl... "radiator have got a mesh insert in the surface. And the axle from motor already is going through it..
Aince posibillity for both ESc and battery will go into this part, it wasnt be buildt with a "internal spar" but reinforcing parts glued on the outer sides to keep things in place and also hold the plywood firewall/former. Plan is by making a hatch on the top here, even a battery can be put vertical in here in front of the wing.

DSC_1212.JPG

leaded50

Legendary member
cowl/front section is ready with skin, and comed to where wing and retract are. Hatch has even got its air louvers for discharging air. Ive closed one side with skins, but have one open still, to figure out a functional retract, and how to mount it. (yeah, i used some old parts from a crashed plane..

DSC_1213.JPG

as most probarly know now, im a fan of "weird planes".... prototypes, design proposals of airplanes, or airplanes in very low productuion numbers. Whatever era they belongs into. Unique planes, that you not see everywhere! As RC models many probarly never seen, or heard about.

My last build now is a American racer airplane from the 20´s , developed as a single concept plane for the Gordon Bennett Air Race.
It was perhaps one of the most advanced concepts developed during the entire period. The pilot was entirely enclosed in the fuselage, which was of wooden semimonocoque construction. The cantilever wing was constructed entirely of wood an employed leading- and trailing-edge flaps. These flaps in effect provided variable camber so that the airfoil section could be adjusted to its optimum shape for both high-speed and low-speed flight, a variable-camber wing!
This extremely advanced feature did not appear on production aircraft until the development of the jet transport in the 1950's.
Front section of the wing acted as flaps, rear acted also as ailerons. They were interconnected together, and cooperated with retracting landing gear. As the gear was extended, the flaps deflected down. - with the trailing edge being a plain flap, and the leading edge functioning similarly. All system was operated by a crank in the center of the instrument panel and took 12-20 seconds.
The landing gear on the racer retracted into the fuselage in very much the same way as that used in later Grumman fighters of the thirties and forties, and seaplanes.

. The Dayton Wright RB-1 racer

Its has quite a sleek shape of that time, and was called the "mackerel" by some who felt it looked a little as a sleek streamlined fish shape.

My idea is make it at approx 900mm wingspan, with fully functional vaiable camber wing, and undecarriage retract.
Many parts in the retract system seems needed be made in 3D print, and also since this model get a "ok" size, im making a pilot and some closed cocpit for him.
Place inside is no problem... even buildt as 860mm long, it will anyway scale have a fuselage 200mm high........

View attachment 210876
Ugly is a strong word and shouldn't be used in conjunction with planes and aircraft...
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: UGLY! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Ok @leaded50 you win the ugly contest! ;)

leaded50

Legendary member
The plane ishistorical interessant, and that variable-camber wing profile system does the extra. My former Avro is a total ugly one, vs this one. ;)
Im also happy enough to have fun building unique planes, than "follow the stream" as anobody ells......
Ive could buildt "superjets" every week..... most is d** boring and similar to each other. And i have enough EDF planes now. And a jet with prop in the rear.. nope! ;)

leaded50

Legendary member
You said you like weird planes, how about this crazy thing https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_P.1079
Of all the 5 - 7 different P.1079 Messerschmitt variants, you found the uglyest one.... No one of them is of interest, either because doesnt have any nice designlines in appearance that appeals to me. Or was for ramjet engines, that gives a thin thrustopening vs size of plane ,difficult with small EDF on power, to get it be looking more scale similar.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Of all the 5 - 7 different P.1079 Messerschmitt variants, you found the uglyest one.... No one of them is of interest, either because doesnt have any nice designlines in appearance that appeals to me. Or was for ramjet engines, that gives a thin thrustopening vs size of plane ,difficult with small EDF on power, to get it be looking more scale similar.

To get around that, you build the plane to the scale of the engine. Years (and years and years and years) ago, there was a 1980's/1990's computer game called "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe" from Lucasarts. I absolutely LOVED that game.

(y)

leaded50

Legendary member
by Messerschmitt, only interesting ones are: 209 (racerversion 1938), P.262 HG III (a refined streamlined 262) ,309 (approx the 262 with single prop, not jetengines), 1108-11 nice deltabomber proposal) , P.1064 aka 261 v1/v2 (nice twin heavy fighter), BF 110, the rest is quite UNinteresting ;)
They at least have nice lines/interesting designs

Last edited:

cyclone3350

Master member
I like the ideas U come up with. I did this one as a Jetco FF kit many many moons ago. I think your next one should be an Antoinette Monobloc. I've always wanted to make that one. BTW luv the grill (y)

leaded50

Legendary member
one of the things wanted on this build, is to get a satisfactory functionallity on retract of wheels. I like when they get "into sides of fuselage". The systems found around in the RC world, planned for Grummans, and Catalinas are quite pricy, or very "intricated" planned. I dont see reason for "hundreds of links" who move in all directions to get seervos to do this. Typical 90 degree electric servoless could not fit either.....
When tryed different solutions, the wheels did get into fuselage either a bit over center of heright, or even higher.
Ive used last days testing out with cardboard parts, and ahaaaa, i found a lot easyer way! AND, it closes into fuselage at approx 1/3 of fuselage height. The top of the wheels close to max get to half height of fuselage!
By movement of 25mm direct vertical, the wheels will go from fully down, with close to vertical line of the wheels. Up, it changes angle to fit whats the fuselage have, and its just by one A-arm down at sides, and a strut/wheel strut.... + a linkage to the servo.

video of the function:

one of the things wanted on this build, is to get a satisfactory functionallity on retract of wheels. I like when they get "into sides of fuselage". The systems found around in the RC world, planned for Grummans, and Catalinas are quite pricy, or very "intricated" planned. I dont see reason for "hundreds of links" who move in all directions to get seervos to do this. Typical 90 degree electric servoless could not fit either.....
When tryed different solutions, the wheels did get into fuselage either a bit over center of heright, or even higher.
Ive used last days testing out with cardboard parts, and ahaaaa, i found a lot easyer way! AND, it closes into fuselage at approx 1/3 of fuselage height. The top of the wheels close to max get to half height of fuselage!
By movement of 25mm direct vertical, the wheels will go from fully down, with close to vertical line of the wheels. Up, it changes angle to fit whats the fuselage have, and its just by one A-arm down at sides, and a strut/wheel strut.... + a linkage to the servo.

video of the function:
Wonderful. Well then you sure do have more patience than I do! I don't think I've ever told anybody that before. :)

leaded50

Legendary member
Wonderful. Well then you sure do have more patience than I do! I don't think I've ever told anybody that before. :)
Ha,ha..Its about using creativity to solve a "problem" (or a idea) . and by a little extra effort im using shock absorbers form a old RC car as the linkage from the A-arm to servo... then its springloaded too :)

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Ha,ha..Its about using creativity to solve a "problem" (or a idea) . and by a little extra effort im using shock absorbers form a old RC car as the linkage from the A-arm to servo... then its springloaded too :)

Now we just need to do it for all the WW2 aircraft.......

(y)

leaded50

Legendary member
Now we just need to do it for all the WW2 aircraft.......

(y)
:LOL:. Its not many WW2 aircrafts that need that type retracts, a few Grummans mainly, and some flying boats..Mostly raises it in an angle 60-120 degree into underside of a wing, or fuselage bottom.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
:LOL:. Its not many WW2 aircrafts that need that type retracts, a few Grummans mainly, and some flying boats..Mostly raises it in an angle 60-120 degree into underside of a wing, or fuselage bottom.

Wildcat especially.......

(y)

Attachments

• hqdefault.jpg
    hqdefault.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 0c7e4c243aaaf98b3c6913dbce198940.jpg
    0c7e4c243aaaf98b3c6913dbce198940.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 0
  • c36bf8c43474ff963653d8a6db7061a5.jpg
    c36bf8c43474ff963653d8a6db7061a5.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 0