Different foam glues

OGnapkin

Hey i am currently using foam tac glue that i got from my local hobby shop. I was looking for something that dries a little quicker than 24 hours so that i could repair my planes quickly at the field. What would be a good option to replace my foam tac glue for something that is flexible but strong that dries quickly?

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I've heard a lot of people like Gorilla Glue, works well at holding. However, I've not actually tested it on all of the various forms of foam, and there are glues that have been known to eat foam, so test on scrap if you can BEFORE gluing something big together....

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
Hot Glue is the go to for quick field repairs. Foam Tac is a fantastic glue and i use it regularly, but not for field repair. Gorilla glue has it uses as well but not in the field. It's also works best on parts that can be clamped/weighted down, it will push other types of joints apart since it expands while it cures.

quorneng

Master member
UHU POR is a good foam glue.
If you use it as a normal "glue" then you have quite few minutes 'wiggle' time and it needs several hours to achieve full strength but as long as the joint surfaces really match well just spread the glue as normal over one surface, press the joint together accurately and then immediately pull it apart. This spreads a very thin film all over both joint surfaces. Don't touch the joint just wait for 3 or 4 minutes (it seems like a long time!) and then very carefully make the joint again. It will stick but the final strength will depend on how well you line up the joint surfaces. No adjustment is possible once it has been pressed together.
Used like this POR behaves as a true 'contact' adhesive.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I saw RMRC had one that ran off of a 3s battery, but I'm not sure how well it works...
I'd love for someone to get one and do a review. It looks like it would put out about the capacity of a craft store gun.
Ryobie makes one that runs on their 18v power tool system. The only reason I have not ordered this is that I just invested heavily in the DeWalt infrastructure! If I can work out battery adaptation I will get one of these as it looks like they will put out a good amount of glue.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Whatever you use please do so sparingly and if you use hot melt glue remember to remove it and do a permanent repair when you get back home. As someone who repairs aircraft for those who are severely challenged in that area I can tell you that often I get planes for repair where more than 10% of the weight of the plane in for repair is hot melt glue, popsicle sticks and BBQ skewers.

I use a craft glue such as Sullivans, (in the US), and if used sparingly and as a contact type of adhesive permanent invisible repairs are possible in as little as 30 minutes. Modern epoxies can even quicker.

Where repairs are to be performed in the field it is also wise to carry toothpicks and a roll of good quality and cheap clear packing tape.

Have fun!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I'd love for someone to get one and do a review. It looks like it would put out about the capacity of a craft store gun.
Ryobie makes one that runs on their 18v power tool system. The only reason I have not ordered this is that I just invested heavily in the DeWalt infrastructure! If I can work out battery adaptation I will get one of these as it looks like they will put out a good amount of glue.

I've got the Porter Cable system myself, so I understand the whole battery swap thing...LOL That said, that Ryobi would be tempting if I needed more power tools!

Oh, and the Dewalt glue gun? One of the best I've found yet. :)

jaredstrees

Agreed on the dewalt glue gun. Went through a few before I found the dewalt. No going back. Does your flying field have electrical outlets? Or your vehicle? I usually bring my corded glue gun with me. Usually though if I crash a plane, it just goes back in the truck and I pull out another. If I crash that one, I'm going home!

Beavis

You could try an inverter to run off a 12v lighter plug. You could easily run a 40w Ad tech off an inverter plugged into a car lighter. Harbor Freight and other places sell 12v to 120vac inverters for pretty cheap.