Good budget hat cam?

The Ion 1011L Air Pro Lite looks good to me but I haven't done any research. I see a guy on youtube mounted it to his ball cap visor.
I don't really feel a need to spend loads of money on this.
Anyone know this camera?
Or what's a good option for a head cam? I'd really love to put it on a ball cap.
Thanks!

Fidget

I've not seen that one. Andrew Newton on Youtube reviews a lot of cameras in terms of RC use. Watching demo video is usually the best bet.

Boberticus

I have a POLAROID Cube II, it shoots in 1080p video, is a nice little lightweight(50g) rechargable CubeCam that will fit in an airframe in any orietation, and has a magnetic base.

it came with a little strip of metal that ive glued to a hat brim, and it sticks there great, ive even used it biking and running. Ive also glued a washer to a plane at the CG point, so now that plane is can shoot onboard footage by just pressing a record button, setting it with the magnet, and taking off. I can also stick it to my truck paneling and get driving footage.

Mic is kinda crappy, image stabilization is just ok, i had to download VLC player to play MOV format videos, and the transistion from bright to dark isnt going to win any youtube awards, but for 20 bucks its solidly decent. it even came with a bumper case that begs for a parachute, been meaning to make a camera bomb drop from something.

I have a POLAROID Cube II, it shoots in 1080p video, is a nice little lightweight(50g) rechargable CubeCam that will fit in an airframe in any orietation, and has a magnetic base.

it came with a little strip of metal that ive glued to a hat brim, and it sticks there great, ive even used it biking and running. Ive also glued a washer to a plane at the CG point, so now that plane is can shoot onboard footage by just pressing a record button, setting it with the magnet, and taking off. I can also stick it to my truck paneling and get driving footage.

Mic is kinda crappy, image stabilization is just ok, i had to download VLC player to play MOV format videos, and the transistion from bright to dark isnt going to win any youtube awards, but for 20 bucks its solidly decent. it even came with a bumper case that begs for a parachute, been meaning to make a camera bomb drop from something.
Dude. Killer $20 onboard cam!
Yeah I don't have the patience or desire to become a camera expert right now - I just need a camera for my hat to gain street cred here on the forum!! :p Decided not to screw with it and just got (what's supposed to be) the standard. Got a deal on a GoPro Hero 7 silver. Pretty decent stabilization. And a plastic clippy thing. Done and done.

I don't know if you have a 3D printer or not, but I remembered running across this when I read your post.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4444543

Might not exactly be what you wee looking for, but could at least help you determine if you like a camera on the hat or not.
Yeah I saw something just like that come up on the forum here.
Like this -
Too cool!
humorous-photo-modern-technologies-young-guy-phone-attached-to-head-using-tape-virtual-reality...jpg

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I just use packing tape on the bill of my hat with a foam wedge to get upwards looking aerial footage
you can also buy len's with various degrees of field of view angle, longer cables for the lens is also availble for relocating the small lens elsewhere, replacement batteries are also available on the bay

I have had a few 808's last one kissed a tree at 40mph, and I just ordered another yesterday but becareful who you buy from there are fakes out there that are cheap clones
I beleive this ebay seller is the manufacturer, I always buy from them
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808-Micro-Camera-16-V3-D-HD-720P-H-264-Pocket-Camcorder-Video-Recorder/184193959971?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

here is an example of the 808 #16 720P of moving video on a wing cam

Last edited:
I just use packing tape on the bill of my hat with a foam wedge to get upwards looking aerial footage
you can also buy len's with various degrees of field of view angle, longer cables for the lens is also availble for relocating the small lens elsewhere, replacement batteries are also available on the bay

here is an example of the 808 #16 720P of moving video on a wing cam

I have had a few 808's last one kissed a tree at 40mph, and I just ordered another yesterday but becareful who you buy from there are fakes out there that are cheap clones
I beleive this ebay seller is the manufacturer, I always buy from them
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-DVR-808-Micro-Camera-16-V3-D-HD-720P-H-264-Pocket-Camcorder-Video-Recorder/184193959971?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Perfectly good for YouTube. You have the one with the wider lens? Their D-lens is 120 degrees.
I can get the same unit on Amazon by Monday or sooner but it has the A-lens, 62 degrees. That would get a tighter shot from the ground, but it's only good if I'm pointing at the plane, and it might shake too much. Maybe I'll get that one and at the same time order the D-lens from China, separately or attached to the camera. (That could take as much as two months.)