FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FT Tutor

Design By: Josh Bixler

Tutor Trike Forums.jpg

Description:
The FT Tutor was designed to be a training aircraft modeled after classic trainers, like the Sig Kadet, Eagle 2, LT-40, and Freedom 20. This aircraft also follows the concept of the Simple Series using many of the same common build techniques. The desire is that the FT Tutor will not only be a great entry into the hobby for new pilots, but also a fantastic new training plane.

The FT Tutor can be built as a 3-channel (combined with our power pack B) to enjoy easy relaxing flights. You can also add ailerons for basic aerobatics and the increased control that a 4-channel set up can give. The configuration can be set up as a taildragger, tricycle gear or even FT Simple Cub floats. If you want to turn things up to the extreme, add in the power pack C and the Turbo Tutor wing kit for insane aerobatics and 3D maneuvers.

Speed Build Kit:

Power Pack Compatibility:

Options:

Specs:
  • Center Of Gravity: 2.25-2.5 inches (57-63mm) from leading edge of wing
  • Wingspan: 41.5 inches (1055mm) Standard Wing
  • Wingspan: 37.25 inches (946mm) Sport Wing
  • Recommended Motor: 2212B-1050kv Standard, 2218B-1180kv Sport/Floats
  • Recommended Prop: 10x4.5 3s, 9x4.5 4s
  • Recommended ESC: 30-40 amp
  • Recommended Battery: 1300 mAh 3s or 4s with 9x4.5 prop
  • Recommended Servos: (2-4) 9 gram servos

Videos:

Build Playlist:
FT Tutor Build Playlist

Last edited:

Burnhard

Looking at the tricycle land gear, would it be possible to make the nose gear stearable? In the build video it seems to move around but I did not see Josh putting in any servo.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
It appears to be a free caster setup. But, it does look like the plywood mount limits the angle of motion so that it cannot spin 360° around. I'm sure someone could figure out how to add a servo up there and make it steerable as well.

Bo123

Elite member
Maybe something 3d Printable?
It appears to be a free caster setup. But, it does look like the plywood mount limits the angle of motion so that it cannot spin 360° around. I'm sure someone could figure out how to add a servo up there and make it steerable as well.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin

That should be very easy! I can think of a couple ways, based on larger models that would be easy to apply.

I got my Turbo Tutor SBK Thursday evening, and between yesterday and today, I finished the fuse and the wing. I have to say that this is the best build I've experienced so far. With *two* doublers on each side inside the fuse - well, I guess they're triplers - this should be a very robust plane. I also appreciate that the design calls for the elevator and rudder to be in the rear fuselage, which I find much easier to deal with (I often find the long control wire runs case me problems with the wire bending badly when the servo goes in one direction, making very uneven up/down and left/right movement in the tail.)

I may do the landing gear wire next, as I find bending the wire to be close to torture. I did follow one forum member's advice to get a linesman's pliers, and I think that will help.

It looks like rain all through this coming week (M-F,) but with any luck, I might be flying the Tutor by next weekend.

Photos of my Tutor as it stands now attached.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 11.14.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 11.14.01 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 11.13.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 11.13.44 PM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Burnhard

I got my Turbo Tutor SBK Thursday evening, and between yesterday and today, I finished the fuse and the wing. I have to say that this is the best build I've experienced so far. With *two* doublers on each side inside the fuse - well, I guess they're triplers - this should be a very robust plane. I also appreciate that the design calls for the elevator and rudder to be in the rear fuselage, which I find much easier to deal with (I often find the long control wire runs case me problems with the wire bending badly when the servo goes in one direction, making very uneven up/down and left/right movement in the tail.)

I may do the landing gear wire next, as I find bending the wire to be close to torture. I did follow one forum member's advice to get a linesman's pliers, and I think that will help.

It looks like rain all through this coming week (M-F,) but with any luck, I might be flying the Tutor by next weekend.

Photos of my Tutor as it stands now attached.

Cheers!
Looks great! What kind of paint job are you considering?

Despite a stearable landing gear, I am wondering whether flaps could also be added.

Burnhard

My plan is to add flaps, too. That way I can have a Tutor that just hangs in the air! LOL!
The wing looks pretty similar to the one from the bushwacker. Should be an easy mod. Quick question, do you use a servo reverser or do you rearrange the wires in the servo? I have done both in the past and am wondering whether there is a preferred way.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
The wing looks pretty similar to the one from the bushwacker. Should be an easy mod. Quick question, do you use a servo reverser or do you rearrange the wires in the servo? I have done both in the past and am wondering whether there is a preferred way.
I prefer separate channels for each, and to reverse one at the TX. But, a servo reverser is a solid option.

Burnhard

I prefer separate channels for each, and to reverse one at the TX. But, a servo reverser is a solid option.
Now where you mention that, I do have that on my DO27 as well. I guess it comes down to how many channels you have. Majority of my receivers are 6 channel and I like to include the occasional
bomb drop ;-) so try to operate flaps on one channel.

Here's a progress update on my Tutor. I applied some of the decals that come with the SBK over an all-white paint scheme, and I do like it.

I still have to install the wing servos, motor, and electronics.

Unfortunately, when I was painting, I put the hatch a little too far over in my garage, and then ran over it later with my car ;-) I'll build a new one from DTFB.

Attachments

• PXL_20211029_030413811.jpg
    PXL_20211029_030413811.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0