Aero L-39 Albatros V2 - EDF Jet

tomlogan1

Elite member
Am starting an L-39 build but am confused by plans as my printer made all the colored items look identical. I cannot determine which folds are A Folds, B Folds, etc.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Am starting an L-39 build but am confused by plans as my printer made all the colored items look identical. I cannot determine which folds are A Folds, B Folds, etc.

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Look on the online plans and take note of the colors of the lines. I haven’t built the l-39 yet but with most builds you can usually figure out what fold it needs to be with some dry fitting.

tomlogan1

Elite member
Problem solved! Found a Grifflyer document that details the build. I've attached it, albeit my naming convention, in the event someone else would like to build one.

Attachments

• l39 build 09-22-2021.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

FishbonesAir

Okay, sorry for what is probably a dumb question, but my son and I are new to all this. The foam in this; can we use the foam board we can buy at the store, or does it need to be the stuff from flite test?
Shalom, David

AussieBison

Okay, sorry for what is probably a dumb question, but my son and I are new to all this. The foam in this; can we use the foam board we can buy at the store, or does it need to be the stuff from flite test?
Shalom, David
It doesn't need to be the flite test foam. Dollar tree foam board (by Adams) are fine.

Intashu

Elite member
Shalom, David
I build all mine from dollar tree foamboard. What's important is you are not mistakenly buying the foam posterboard which uses much thicker paper, and makes most planes too heavy to fly (and many planes become too tail heavy on top of that!)

FishbonesAir

I build all mine from dollar tree foamboard. What's important is you are not mistakenly buying the foam posterboard which uses much thicker paper, and makes most planes too heavy to fly (and many planes become too tail heavy on top of that!)
Thank you! I was really hoping that was the case.

diiity

Hello,

What material did you use to build this beautiful L-39 and in what thickness?

do you also ask to send me the DXF vectorized plans?

Thanks

diiity

Bonjour,

Quel est le matériau que vous avez utilisé pour construire ce merveilleux L-39 et en quelle épaisseur ?

demandez-vous aussi à m'envoyer les plans vectorisés DXF ?

Merci

diiité

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
My current Grifflyer L-39s. In the first one (IAF trainer livery), I put an old Freewing 64mm (3s). The EDF was pathetic, so since it had a 40 am ESC, I tried it on 4s, and so far so good. Very nice flier!

L-39 number 2, is done in IAF camo and has a xFly 64mm (4s), rated at almost double the thrust of the Freewing 64mm.

Both are scaled up 128% for the 64mm EDF.

These are great little jets - easy to make, and to fly. Launching can be sketchy if you don't have a good thrust to weight ratio (these do on 4s).

I absolutely love John Overstreet's jets (I've built the F-16), but they are quite an investment in time that can be quickly ended at first launch because they are just so big. These little things are just the right size at 128% since I always fly alone.

IMG_5627.jpeg

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
My current Grifflier L-39s. In the first one (IAF trainer livery), I put an old Freewing 64mm (3s). The EDF was pathetic, so since it had a 40 am ESC, I tried it on 4s, and so far so good. Very nice flier!

L-39 number 2, is done in IAF camo and has a xFly 64mm (4s), rated at almost double the thrust of the Freewing 64mm.

These are great little jets - easy to make, and to fly. Launching can be sketchy if you don't have a good thrust to weight ratio (these do on 4s).

I absolutely love John Overstreet's jets (I've built the F-16), but they are quite an investment in time that can be quickly ended at first launch because they are just so big. These little things are just the right size at 128% since I always fly alone.

View attachment 230209
Sell it a little bit harder why don't you...:p :rolleyes: Fine. I will go find the V2. and print - Build and fly again.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
My current Grifflier L-39s. In the first one (IAF trainer livery), I put an old Freewing 64mm (3s). The EDF was pathetic, so since it had a 40 am ESC, I tried it on 4s, and so far so good. Very nice flier!

View attachment 230209
I have built 2 of them at original size with 50 mm edf's . They are great planes, nice design and build. 4s 1300 mah is perfect for the original. First one is long gone but I still haven't maidened the second one yet. Here is a pic of it, I basically used the same parts but instead of the scoring and folding to get the shape as in the plans , i removed the paper from one side and formed the parts instead and modified the wing tips but essentially the same plans. I also put some LEDs in that light up the exhaust tube red and there is one in the tip of the nose as well. You did a beauty job with the liveries on those two, they look awesome!!(y)(y)
IMG_20220908_174849_937.jpg

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I have built 2 of them at original size with 50 mm edf's . They are great planes, nice design and build. 4s 1300 mah is perfect for the original. First one is long gone but I still haven't maidened the second one yet. Here is a pic of it, I basically used the same parts but instead of the scoring and folding to get the shape as in the plans , i removed the paper from one side and formed the parts instead and modified the wing tips but essentially the same plans. I also put some LEDs in that light up the exhaust tube red and there is one in the tip of the nose as well. You did a beauty job with the liveries on those two, they look awesome!!(y)(y)
View attachment 230223
Curves are very cool.

Intashu

Elite member
Looks great!
Capture.PNG

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
The difference between the 2 versions as I remember is the pusher/edf option , that piece missing as you say from v2 should be same in v1.