🔥🔥Rekindling the FT Fire🔥🔥

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I thought maybe everyone just might get a kick out of this old video. It just might give you a little history of FT at Edgewater. I know that the manufacturing plant is now on the grounds of Edgewater and is up and running putting out foam board kits.

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
Hello everyone! I am just getting back from vacation and getting ready to answer as many questions as I can, and here's what I'm planning to do...
Instead of trying to type everything out, as I am not much of a forum guy (no disrespect fellas!), I am going to record a podcast. Now I am not sure if it will be on the original FT podcast thread, or if I will create a new one (still undecided on that one).
I want to be able to record more frequent podcasts, but I don't know if all of them will be just about answering questions. I'm opening for suggestions here.
I look forward to seeing what you all think, and getting to work recording! Talk at y'all soon!

Byrdman

Very informative and answers a few questions from the perspective of a new guy here. Thanks!!

IMO, It's the same old story like what happened at Facebook when it went public, it lost some of the "coolness" having to adapt to a business model, sell ads , and make some money. That is the bad part of growth.

Also IMO, the good and great is that maybe this growth has provided more of a "something for everyone", but at the cost of a little less for the OG's and what got everything started. Now, if you like to build with flat sheets of DTF, it's my understanding you have access to many free plans from members and can pay for access to the official ones. If you like to buy SBK's to get in the air after a few nights of work, you got it. If you have no interest in building and want to just bind and fly, you have a little of that now as well.

Whatever you are doing seems to be working. FT just got me back in the hobby after being out for a long time!

RCBuildIdeas

Hello everyone! I am just getting back from vacation and getting ready to answer as many questions as I can, and here's what I'm planning to do...
Instead of trying to type everything out, as I am not much of a forum guy (no disrespect fellas!), I am going to record a podcast. Now I am not sure if it will be on the original FT podcast thread, or if I will create a new one (still undecided on that one).
I want to be able to record more frequent podcasts, but I don't know if all of them will be just about answering questions. I'm opening for suggestions here.
I look forward to seeing what you all think, and getting to work recording! Talk at y'all soon!

Thanks Lee, I look forward to the podcast.

Also, I noticed that the "Ground Crew" FTCA members will have "Access to class challenges and experiences" and
that the "Air Crew" FTCA members will have "Access to all challenges and experiences". Would you please give some examples of what these Challenges and experiences will be?

Thanks again!

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
Could you post the link here, too, Lee?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Lee,
One thing we are not seeing enough of is < 250 gram models. The FT Dart for example has been discontinued and my FT kit with a 450mah 3S battery came in at 220g. It flies absolutely AMAZING. I had it up at Edgewater during the Flying Circus weekend and got a lot of questions about it. Got home and tried to get a second kit, but it is no longer available. All the big planes are great, but we need more of the models we can literally fly anywhere without any registration if/when all these restrictions go into place.

Cheers!
LitterBug

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Lee,
One thing we are not seeing enough of is < 250 gram models. The FT Dart for example has been discontinued and my FT kit with a 450mah 3S battery came in at 220g. It flies absolutely AMAZING. I had it up at Edgewater during the Flying Circus weekend and got a lot of questions about it. Got home and tried to get a second kit, but it is no longer available. All the big planes are great, but we need more of the models we can literally fly anywhere without any registration if/when all these restrictions go into place.

Cheers!
LitterBug

I have been working on this very goal range, do you want to pop over here and answer the question (and any one else), hopefully I can get some ideas on what to design
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...sub-250g-plans-are-people-intrested-in.68163/

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’ve met John several times and had nice chats with him, and he’s a super nice guy. However I believe that a lot of the “negative” changes that many longtime members are complaining about are directly related to John joining the team. Don’t get me wrong, I love his planes (I’ve build several of his models!) and he’s helped FT in many ways, but I know a number of guys who have worked with FT and have heard from them some concerning stories. I guess it’s all part of businesses growing and all, but it’s really too bad that benefits have to come with negative side effects.

Last edited:

alan0043

Alright ladies and gentlemen, here is the podcast that I promised you (https://podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp...ure/flitetest/Podcast_210_-_83021_3.42_PM.mp3).
Now I know it may not be exactly what you wanted, but it'll have to do. I plan on perfecting this as we go along the journey. Help me make it great! Thanks in advance!!

Hi Lee,

Thank you for posting the podcast. I hope you can find a way or a place for podcasts on the forum. All we need is a link to the podcast. I believe more podcast will be heard if there was another way for this info to get out. I don't use the other social media platforms. I heard you talk about balance when using social media. Please keep up the good work and keep us informed.

Al

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
I’ve met John several times and had nice chats with him, and he’s a super nice guy. However I believe that a lot of the “negative” changes that many longtime members are complaining about are directly related to John joining the team. Don’t get me wrong, I love his planes (I’ve build several of his models!) and he’s helped FT in many ways, but I know a number of guys who have worked with FT and have heard from them some concerning stories. I guess it’s all part of businesses growing and all, but it’s really too bad that benefits have to come with negative side effects.
What “negative” changes/side effects have come to FT with the partnership with John Overstreet? I just want to be as well informed as possible.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
…I guess it’s all part of businesses growing and all, but it’s really too bad that benefits have to come with negative side effects.
”Negative side effects”? You mean the whiners complaining about no more “free plans” to John’s amazing designs? Yeah, I am sick of those people too.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
One thing that might not be clear to people is the relation between FT and John. John is not working at, but with FT. It is a partnership.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I personally think that ft is forgetting why they first started up....
i am well aware of the 60+ simple planes that ft has.. but for the past years.. we haven't seen any new simple ft planes released...
the simple planes are not that hard to design, and i believe that a lot of people want a plane that is easy to build, and flies great...
if you've ever flown the simple ft spitfire you'll know what i am talking about...
not saying anything about them having to release plans or anything like that...
but just a couple of new great looking & flying simple planes...

i believe this is what @The Hangar was talking about, how now all ft's new planes are master series planes, that take a lot of time to build...
Because when you are trying to hold a job/school, and trying to fly planes you do not really have time to spend 8 hours building a master series plane, that won't really fly as well/better than the standard ft ones.

Just my opinion

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I'm probably in the minority here but I don't listen to podcasts. I like to read.

I don't mind listening but Id rather have the video podcast like Stefan used to do. You don't get the facial expressions. Inside jokes are lost I cant keep awake when sitting listening to people yak when I cant interact in some way. I tired listening to yakky podcasts while doing things and I lose track of them when I zone into what I am doing.