1.0m foam Pitcheron

bracesport

Legendary member
So I couldn’t help myself - the wings on the pitcheron foamy were a bit deformed in the manufacturing or shipping process, so I took them out to review whether I could straighten them - then I spied my old Bixler3 wing on the shelf - hmmmm, could I cut that down to make a better wing for the pitcheron?

Wildthing

Legendary member
So I couldn’t help myself - the wings on the pitcheron foamy were a bit deformed in the manufacturing or shipping process, so I took them out to review whether I could straighten them - then I spied my old Bixler3 wing on the shelf - hmmmm, could I cut that down to make a better wing for the pitcheron?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

bracesport

Legendary member
after dinner I got stuck into some new wings - looking at the 'LIDL' brand EPP Pitcheron the wing chord is 160mm and the 'Cheetah' is 115mm - the red wing started out life as a 1600mm wing with a 200mm chord but after chopping a centre section out of the wing it is now 160mm - this new wing will have the better performance I am sure.

The existing hub will be a bit smaller at 120mm so the new wing will sit slightly forward and aft of the hub but I will make it work - it would be easy enough to print another hub, but that can come later if this works and flies better!

IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0089.JPG
IMG_0090.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
putting it all back together again - the wing rod is tacked in one side and the end cap is glueing in place - you can see the wing chord is much bigger this time - yes, you can also see the underside needs some painting when all the holes are filled in!

IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0105.JPG

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
Hi guys - just some confirmation on the Wireless Trainer functionality - I am running a second MPM (multi-protocol module) as the 2A RX for my FSi6s as the student radio - I needed to reverse ch3 on the i6s as I run ch3 reversed on my master module for crow brakes etc - the external MPM is the Tx for the glider. :)

JustPlaneChris

These are so cool! :cool:

A "few" years ago (more than I care to admit) I had a CR Aircraft Turbo S (wingeron + elevator). I always loved how that thing flew, and the roll rate was pure insanity.

I must be missing it, but what is your method for retaining the wings on the pivot rod?

bracesport

Legendary member
@JustPlaneChris - hi Chris, in this case I use a collar on one side that has a screw to retain the collar! I have also built a carbon fibre pitcheron lately the link is in my project list at the bottom of my post - look for the slippery Pitcheron!

SSgt Duramax

that looks like a great way to have even more fun with these gliders, they fly great, and are nearly indestructible.
I have a smaller version of one of these (the 19 inch one) and it flies great. I would like to find one of the 1m ones locally, by the time you get them shipped online and throw your own electronics in them, you may as well have bought a kit, but these things fly excellent once you power them.

I never thought about using pitcherons. I just did an aileron/elevator set up and fly it bank n yank like that.

bracesport

Legendary member
I also built a bigger one!

317585_2b898f0fdc44c51c33b72baa22bbdf83.jpg
316516_9626a542d005a252c59cd15948449a8f.jpg

I have a smaller version of one of these (the 19 inch one) and it flies great. I would like to find one of the 1m ones locally, by the time you get them shipped online and throw your own electronics in them, you may as well have bought a kit, but these things fly excellent once you power them.

I never thought about using pitcherons. I just did an aileron/elevator set up and fly it bank n yank like that.