1/12 Gotha G IV Design, Prototype, Publish

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Along with a squadron name we'll need a squadron insignia. Someone (ahem, Rasterize) should try to incorporate something like this, perhaps with a gremlin in place of the eagle, into all of the skins.

250px-Jd_1-insignia.svg.png

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
We need a German to chime in. Or at least someone who knows German. Something German that starts with F and T.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANI... Oh Wait.

You were looking for a German?

A German word for a fighter group with F...T? I'll think of something.

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Help me out here Balu.
Fliegende Teufel
Flying Devil
What would be the plural? Teufeln?
I got my degree in German but that was many moon ago...

I already have a logo in mind...

Last edited:

Rasterize

Mentor
Fliegende Tofu. lol
Does this mean instead of having some cool battle cry like
Tora! Tora! Tora!
we get to dive into the enemy yelling
Soy! Soy! Soy!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
1 Teufel, 2 Teufel. :) (But there's only one devil).

"Fliegende Teufel" would be "Flying Devils"

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I have concerns about how well that will scale down... Not to nit pick... can you make it more WWI themed? I like it though.

Rasterize

Mentor
To be honest, the wings are what bother me the most. I just threw them on for the fun of it. It all vector so it should scale just fine.
Could you give me an example of "WWI Themed"? I was just looking at WWI aircraft graphic examples and they seem either very simple or..well...lame. :p
Maybe just lose the wings? What color should we go with? Red?

Rasterize

Mentor
This did however come off a Handley Page O/100 heavy bomber, nicknamed the "Bloody Paralyser"

Bloody Paralyser.jpg

Maybe a line drawing of it?

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
With a name like "Flying Devils" it's gotta be red! :D

Rasterize

Mentor
Balu,
What would "Fliegende Tropf" end up meaning?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, as we work out the fun side details I'm continuing on with the build. I got the fuselage covered (not an easy thing). After assembly I was not really happy with the seams. I used small strips of remaining lozenge for the top and the bottom is what it is. I hate that the white is so prominent but I guess that's what you get with FT-style construction. After I did a dry mock-up of the tail this bothered me even more. I took my iron and beveled the edges of the tail surfaces. Its better but still not my ideal.

IMG_2514.JPG

Here you can see the slight color difference contrasting with each other... and the white seams.
IMG_2515.JPG

Rather than move on to the wings at this stage I think I will start hinging the tail surfaces and get into a bit of coating. I want to try my sanding sealer as a top coat to protect against the elements. My fear is that any kind of moisture is going to make this ink run. Getting a coat of sanding sealer should alleviate this and keep the paper from expanding and warping the frame. It will also give a more appropriate sheen to the finish. The fabric on these old airplanes was doped so it had a more satin to glossy sheen, depending on dirt. I can also easily add the crosses and other finishing touches later using 77 spray and another coat of sealer over top.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Thinking more about Art... The art done on the airplanes in this era were done by soldiers with little to no talent. This is why they tend to look more like cartoons. They were done with brushes and no masking. Masking tape did not exist! Here is a good example.

Typically the Germans never used these kinds of art for their insignia. Their focus was big German crosses to identify themselves and bright colors to intimidate. The bright colors were more to aggressively pick a fight in the sense of "Hey, come and get me. I dare you!" It was more offensive where the French and British typically were more about trying to hide their aircraft on the ground and art work was more of a morale boost to remember what they were fighting for. It was more defensive. They are very different ways of thinking.

I think we can strike a good balance here. Our aim is to foster comradery. We fight battles in the sense that assembling these scratch built airplanes are a crucible at times and its a loving effort for our hobby, rather than country.

Going out on a limb here but thinking back... @ Rasterize... Its your contribution to this fun hobby. I'm just going to say, take full liberty to come up with something great that YOU are happy with. The airplane will still fly very scale but the fun that goes into it is what really matters. Coming together as brothers in this hobby is so much fun and I am so humbled that so many folks are jumping in on this project. It will be a good time at FTFF for sure.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Sharpie markers come in hundreds of colors these days, and could help ease your frustration with the bright white foam board edges.

It's a beautiful build and I really hope there will be some great video for those of us who won't be able to make it to FTFF.