1 Sheet Plane

Mad_Mechanic

I'll admit that the double break/bend in my wing is a point of concern. If I don't get the angle the same on both sides, then I suspect it will be a detriment to flight characteristics.

I'll look into re-designing my wing for a single break/bend to achieve the desired dihedral. This will also mean a re-working of the fuselage where the wing attaches.

Mad_Mechanic

I re-worked the wing to make it a single break and I didn't even have to change my fuselage. That certainly simplifies the flat pattern and the wing construction.

Single break wing.PNG

Single break side view.PNG

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I'm likin this as well. Simple yet effective. If your planning on using the A Pack you might be able to get away with an under cambered wing design to save on FB and weight as well. The Mini Scout and Mini Speedster both use this design and both have wide flight speed envelopes. a plane that can grow from a trainer for the first timers and be modified to fit the old timers. Bank and yank is just a 2 servo operation using the one servo for ailerons like in the Bloody Wonder or the Baby Blender.

Actually the Mini Scout has a higher then center wing placement which also works great for the single break dihedral. With a higher then center wing placement the battery,(2s I imagine) could be held on with Velcro on the underside of the top fuse plate and leave the bottom plate open for access starting an inch or two behind the firewall, further decreasing the overall weight. Just built my second Mini Scout so the idea is fresh in my head. All over the forums you will find members who love the Mini Scout and how adaptable they are.

Lookin forward to see where this design goes, will follow. Keep it shiny side up

Mad_Mechanic

Ok! So, here is where I'm at, I have finished my first prototype 'release' draft of the plans for my plane. See the attached PDF.

Note that many lines are not clear as to there intended cut (partial or thru). Again, this is a prototype release meant mainly for my use for now.

Next I'm starting to buy parts. Now, this is going to be a bit costly for me but I want to try 2 different setups of electronics. Someone mentioned it would be desirable to make the plane run on the FT Power Pack A, so I am planning to buy a brand new FT Power Pack A 'Radial' Edition in addition to my own personal combination of parts.

So I will build 2 planes based on the following set of parts:

*Battery will be the same for both builds and is intended to be a HobbyKing Turnigy 1300 mAh 2s w/ XT30 ($7.24)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-1300mah-2s-20c-lipo-pack-w-xt30.html

*Receiver will be the same for both builds, an FrSky RX6R ($28.25)
https://alofthobbies.com/frsky-rx6r.html

Plane 1 - FT Radial Power Pack A ($69.99)
Motor: FT Radial 1806 2280kV
ESC: FT 20A w/ XT-30 connector
Servos: FT ES9051 5g
Propeller: 6x3
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-power-pack-a-radial-edition-flt-3057/p983483

Plane 2 - Mad Mechanics Parts ($44.14 or $46.42)
Motor: Cobra C-2203/34 2300kV ($18.99)
https://innov8tivedesigns.com/cobra-c-2203-34-brushless-motor-kv-2300

ESC: PowerUp 20A w/ SBEC ($12.50)
https://alofthobbies.com/powerup-esc-20-amp.html

Servos: Turnigy TGY-1551A ($2.95 ea) or HXT500 ($3.52 ea)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-tgy-1551a-analog-micro-servo-1-0kg-0-08sec-5g.html
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hxt500-micro-servo-0-6kg-0-08sec-6-2g.html

Propeller: GWS 6x3-DD ($0.85)
https://alofthobbies.com/gws-park-flyer-propeller.html

Attached is the prototype plans.
I typically have my plans printed on 24in x 36in paper at my local staples print center. Costs about $3 for a 24x36 print and saves me the hassle of tiling for 8.5x11 paper.

Attachments

• 1 sheet plane Foam Board Layout.PDF
    41 KB · Views: 0

Mad_Mechanic

Got my plans printed at Staples today on 24x36in paper. Plans are printed perfectly 1:1. I also noticed that Staples can print on 20x30 poster board (not foam board) which might be useful in the future for making reusable templates. I got 3 copies made of these plans, two copies I plan to use to make planes, the third copy I ordered so I can make notes as needed for adjustments.

DSC06853.jpg

DSC06852.jpg

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Even though this plane is designed for the A pack, I wonder with the right components and the simplicity what kind of air speed this has the potential of? I've seen vids, I think Hai-Lee posted, on an ugly stick style plane capable of triple digits. It's a thinker

CapnBry

Elite member
Things are starting to get real! Is the line in the center of the wing a reference line, or is it scored and crushed, or maybe just bent with a straight edge to help the dihedral form?

Mad_Mechanic

Even though this plane is designed for the A pack, I wonder with the right components and the simplicity what kind of air speed this has the potential of? I've seen vids, I think Hai-Lee posted, on an ugly stick style plane capable of triple digits. It's a thinker

That is a very interesting prospect. Someone else in the community will have to experiment with this as I don't trust myself to fly that fast, nor do I have the flight space to attempt it.

I think the biggest issue will be either wing folding or tail surface distortion.

Things are starting to get real! Is the line in the center of the wing a reference line, or is it scored and crushed, or maybe just bent with a straight edge to help the dihedral form?

If I'm looking at the correct line you are referring to it's a score and crush line. For the release plans I will be cleaning up many of the lines to make them more clear. Using things like dashed line types and notations to define what lines are cut thru lines and which are score and crush or score and remove.

CapnBry

Elite member
Excellent! I'm about an hour and 20 minutes from the moment I hit print on the plans and I've got everything cut out, beveled, edges melted, and ready to glue up. I am assuming the spar runs all the way through the middle at the max thickness portion of the wing?
DSC06631.JPG

Mad_Mechanic

You are ahead of me on this :ROFLMAO:, I'm getting my work area cleared so I can start cutting mine out.

The easy way to line up the spar is to position it centered and between the servo cutouts in the wing (if you plan to use the plane as a 4-channel with ailerons).

Spar.PNG

Something else that isn't clear is that the cutout in the body is wider than the width of the spar, this is intentional as it allows clearance for the aileron servo wires. That being said, the intention is to position the spar towards the front of the fuselage as shown here.

Wing position.PNG

Lastly, there is a seemingly random piece on the layout whose function may not be clear. This is a 5-deg angle wedge for getting the dihedral of the wing. The design is planned to have each wing 2.5-deg up from a horizontal reference plane, so if you hold one half of the wing flat on a work surface, you can use this 5-deg wedge under the other half, this should then achieve the desired dihedral on the wing.

Angle Wedge.PNG

Overall I'm very impressed you have done what you have so far given that many of my lines aren't entirely clear. Nice work!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Excellent! I'm about an hour and 20 minutes from the moment I hit print on the plans and I've got everything cut out, beveled, edges melted, and ready to glue up. I am assuming the spar runs all the way through the middle at the max thickness portion of the wing?
View attachment 138881
What's that little almost trapezoidal piece in the middle for?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You are ahead of me on this :ROFLMAO:, I'm getting my work area cleared so I can start cutting mine out.

The easy way to line up the spar is to position it centered and between the servo cutouts in the wing (if you plan to use the plane as a 4-channel with ailerons).

View attachment 138882

Something else that isn't clear is that the cutout in the body is wider than the width of the spar, this is intentional as it allows clearance for the aileron servo wires. That being said, the intention is to position the spar towards the front of the fuselage as shown here.

View attachment 138883

Lastly, there is a seemingly random piece on the layout whose function may not be clear. This is a 5-deg angle wedge for getting the dihedral of the wing. The design is planned to have each wing 2.5-deg up from a horizontal reference plane, so if you hold one half of the wing flat on a work surface, you can use this 5-deg wedge under the other half, this should then achieve the desired dihedral on the wing.

View attachment 138884

Overall I'm very impressed you have done what you have so far given that many of my lines aren't entirely clear. Nice work!
And... just disregard my last post lol

CapnBry

Elite member
It's perfectly clear! Although I have built 10 or more different FT designs as well as my own so I sort of know what to expect. I hope you don't mind that my model has volunteered for the Mad Mechanic Air Force.
DSC06635.JPG

I'm going to try to do the one servo in the center for both ailerons, since I've never done that before. I just stuck it through the hatchhole to see how the balance was going to work out, since all I have are heavier 9g servos. I'm going to move the rudder and elevator servos forward a little since the layout you see there is where everything works out currently (950mAh battery), assuming a CG 30mm from the leading edge. I think I'm going to throw a little paint around and minwax on it before I fit all the electronics.

I cut halfway through the spar and removed a sliver of foam and put a bit of glue in it when I made the dihedral. I really like the way the spar goes through the middle cutout in the fuselage and makes it really feel locked in. It might be nice to add a little extra paper flap on the front bit of the wing so it makes a little ramp from the fuse to the wing rather than just square foam of the wing bottom (the bevel in the center face upside down) but that's nitpicking-- the rest of the model is perfect right from the plans.

EDIT: Forgot to say, 223g so far so I expect closer to 250g by the time it's all assembled.

Mad_Mechanic

Dude! I'm smiling so much right now, to see my design built by someone else already! (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I'll take any and all volunteers to the Mad Mechanic Air Force!

Let me know how the single servo ailerons work out for you. I'll be very interested to see.

Mad_Mechanic

Please maiden that plane as soon as you are ready to and please tell us how it flies in your configuration. Should be interesting to compare notes between your plane and mine!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It's perfectly clear! Although I have built 10 or more different FT designs as well as my own so I sort of know what to expect. I hope you don't mind that my model has volunteered for the Mad Mechanic Air Force.
View attachment 138889

I'm going to try to do the one servo in the center for both ailerons, since I've never done that before. I just stuck it through the hatchhole to see how the balance was going to work out, since all I have are heavier 9g servos. I'm going to move the rudder and elevator servos forward a little since the layout you see there is where everything works out currently (950mAh battery), assuming a CG 30mm from the leading edge. I think I'm going to throw a little paint around and minwax on it before I fit all the electronics.

I cut halfway through the spar and removed a sliver of foam and put a bit of glue in it when I made the dihedral. I really like the way the spar goes through the middle cutout in the fuselage and makes it really feel locked in. It might be nice to add a little extra paper flap on the front bit of the wing so it makes a little ramp from the fuse to the wing rather than just square foam of the wing bottom (the bevel in the center face upside down) but that's nitpicking-- the rest of the model is perfect right from the plans.

EDIT: Forgot to say, 223g so far so I expect closer to 250g by the time it's all assembled.
That recessed servo on top is for the ailerons correct?... Just curious