13th Squadron DH88

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I'm rebuilding my DH88 Comet after "rage ripping" out the motors on the previous model and deciding to start a fresh one. The motors kept cutting in and out with props on (I didn't catch it during building & testing), and Comet #1 never even maidened. However, its a cool looking plane and worth the effort to rebuild. The picture below is the only evidence I have of its existence.

However, I'm finding on #2 the same issue I had with the first one: the wing doesn't fit quite right with skin #7 and skin #6 seems too small to fit around the internal formers G-H. I've fixed that by trimming down the formers slightly, but still have the gap on the skin (see picture below). Theres also a gap betwen the wing and the internal backbone. While I think it can be covered up with a small piece of the brown foamboard paper backing, I wanted to give other builders a heads up on that step to be careful. See if you can figure out what I'm not doing right here.

Attachments

• 20220223_054636.jpg
    20220223_054636.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220130_173317.jpg
    20220130_173317.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 0

Kugzenburg

As of my experience, stuttering motor can be caused by 2 problems, the motors are overloaded means you should get a higher kv one or install a hall sensor to it, both works well, or it may be the connection, usually the ppm signal didn't get soldered well. Hope it helps, sick build btw paint job is 10/10

I'm rebuilding my DH88 Comet after "rage ripping" out the motors on the previous model and deciding to start a fresh one. The motors kept cutting in and out with props on (I didn't catch it during building & testing), and Comet #1 never even maidened. However, its a cool looking plane and worth the effort to rebuild. The picture below is the only evidence I have of its existence.

However, I'm finding on #2 the same issue I had with the first one: the wing doesn't fit quite right with skin #7 and skin #6 seems too small to fit around the internal formers G-H. I've fixed that by trimming down the formers slightly, but still have the gap on the skin (see picture below). Theres also a gap betwen the wing and the internal backbone. While I think it can be covered up with a small piece of the brown foamboard paper backing, I wanted to give other builders a heads up on that step to be careful. See if you can figure out what I'm not doing right here.
Sure does seem like two times in a row might point to a fault in the plans. I have a very similar issue with how my wing fits on my present build, but I drew it so the blame falls on me!
The DH-88 is so uniquely beautiful it's worth a second build for sure. Hope we have a flight vid soon.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
#2 is finished. Balances perfect with a 3S 1300 battery. Slick lookin' plane. Thanks, 13th Squadron/Niez13. Now I just have to wait for the weather to cooperate.

Attachments

• 20220226_193507.jpg
    20220226_193507.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220226_193519.jpg
    20220226_193519.jpg
    966.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220226_193539.jpg
    20220226_193539.jpg
    518.3 KB · Views: 0

CrshNBrn

Elite member
It was a little gusty yesterday, but as long as I keep the speed up, it wasnt too bad. Sometimes these small, light foamies are like trying to fly a potato chip and are all over the place.

Niez13

Elite member

Just curious is the bottom of your wing completely flat or does it bend up on the bottom?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Maybe just the slightest bend upwards towards the tips. Overall, its pretty flat though.

Attachments

• 20220413_082029.jpg
    20220413_082029.jpg
    743.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220413_081243.jpg
    20220413_081243.jpg
    841 KB · Views: 0

Niez13

Elite member
Maybe just the slightest bend upwards towards the tips. Overall, its pretty flat though.
I guess I was wondering more about the center of the wing and the airfoil. There is just a slight upward bend that you may not have done which I believe is causing those skins not to fit. I'll have to make it more clear on the plans.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I guess I was wondering more about the center of the wing and the airfoil. There is just a slight upward bend that you may not have done which I believe is causing those skins not to fit. I'll have to make it more clear on the plans.

That's very possible, and you might have indicated it already in the plans and I just missed it. Sometimes I'm as sharp as a marble!;)

That said, I just want to extend my appreciation for all of your energy and effort to design and share your plans. I think I've built almost every plane 13th Squadron has designed, and they are all super cool in their own way. While some aren't with us anymore (peace out, Mini-Zero), that just means I've got spare electronics for the next awesome thing you design.

Niez13

Elite member
That's very possible, and you might have indicated it already in the plans and I just missed it. Sometimes I'm as sharp as a marble!;)

That said, I just want to extend my appreciation for all of your energy and effort to design and share your plans. I think I've built almost every plane 13th Squadron has designed, and they are all super cool in their own way. While some aren't with us anymore (peace out, Mini-Zero), that just means I've got spare electronics for the next awesome thing you design.
My words can not describe how much I appreciate your kind words and effort to build all of my designs! I think by FliteFest I should have two more designs. Three if school and college stuff lightens up. One of the designs uses Zero electronics so I've got you covered lol!

SSgt Duramax

My words can not describe how much I appreciate your kind words and effort to build all of my designs! I think by FliteFest I should have two more designs. Three if school and college stuff lightens up. One of the designs uses Zero electronics so I've got you covered lol!
We're all looking forward to seeing the next design you put out! I understand school. I am going to start another class toward my masters soon and that is time consuming (in addition to working full time and having kids). Do you have any jets in the future?

Niez13

Elite member
We're all looking forward to seeing the next design you put out! I understand school. I am going to start another class toward my masters soon and that is time consuming (in addition to working full time and having kids). Do you have any jets in the future?
Wish you the best of luck with your masters! Yes, the F-35 that is the potential third plane in the previous post. It might not be that repeatable because I want it to be a one off, super scale with a cockpit and a whole bunch of features. I will still put out plans but some of it might be freehand where I show how to do it. However, there are still other jets I would love to do. My grandpa really wants me to build an F-35 so that's first on the list.