13th Squadron Mini A6M Zero

otto54

I am doing the planes in fusion 360 based on the templates, a question when making the wings should I put all the ribs or is it additional weight

Also, sorry, the rear fuselage should lighten it up a bit by making holes?
Page-05.jpg

leaded50

Legendary member
some holes at rear would help on getting easier weight forward... and no extra ribs in wing, it shouldnt be necessary,FT build is normally just one, or two spars not any ribs.
if the model aint 2000mm wingspan eg. than perhaps can be ok with a few.

Last edited:

otto54

some holes at rear would help on getting easier weight forward... and no extra ribs in wing, it shouldnt be necessary,FT build is normally just one, or two spars not any ribs.
if the model aint 2000mm wingspan eg. than perhaps can be ok with a few.
Excuse me, a question, I had thought to make the side parts of the fuselage and the wings skins with 1.5mm cardboard, it is quite rigid and light, would it be useful or should I do it with foam
Sorry if I ask a lot or annoy, it is that it is my first design and I want to do it well

Niez13

Elite member
I have assembled a 1/33 Gee Bee and the templates and profiles are already ready, I just need to simplify it to make it easier to assemble, could you help me with that part.
But I know that it is a very difficult plane to fly and a bit unstable, I also have an L-4 Grasshoper in mind
This is the papermodel file
Those templates are awesome!!! That's practically all you need to get going. Those side and top views can help you a whole lot more when making the formers. You should be able to size those plans to the size you want then go from there.

Niez13

Elite member
Excuse me, a question, I had thought to make the side parts of the fuselage and the wings skins with 1.5mm cardboard, it is quite rigid and light, would it be useful or should I do it with foam
Sorry if I ask a lot or annoy, it is that it is my first design and I want to do it well
I feel like the 1.5mm carboard would be a little excessive. If you feel it needs it go ahead of course. At that scale though it probably won't do too much.

otto54

I feel like the 1.5mm carboard would be a little excessive. If you feel it needs it go ahead of course. At that scale though it probably won't do too much.
the wingspan of the wing would be 1.5 meters and I might need some ribs

leaded50

Legendary member
i would prefered foamboard. But if plans to use only 1.5mm cardboard, definitly needs some reinforcing/spars to hold shape over some time. At least on 1.5m wing

otto54

i would prefered foamboard. But if plans to use only 1.5mm cardboard, definitly needs some reinforcing/spars to hold shape over some time. At least on 1.5m wing
thinking so maybe I should use foamboard it could be critical to use cardboard on the wing

RokrRJ

Guys, a little help needed from a newbie...

How do I scale the plans to 120% and print it tiled, in order to print at an A4 ordinary sheet of paper?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the noob question.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Guys, a little help needed from a newbie...

How do I scale the plans to 120% and print it tiled, in order to print at an A4 ordinary sheet of paper?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the noob question.
If you have a program like inkscape you can scale up the plans, save it as a PDF, and print it from there.

Hi!!

some mods to my 13th squadron's Zero
20210307_095517.jpg

I added the rest of the wing piece. Now is more resistant

20210307_095541.jpg

A piece of foam to protect the servo when i land

20210307_095600.jpg

the propeller and motor. I use motor 2208 1800kv and propeller 7"x5. Good performance

flight video

Jack, if i want to do this plane 48", do i have to change something of the structure? do you have thought to make the plans for this size?

Last edited:

Niez13

Elite member
Hi!!

some mods to my 13th squadron's Zero
View attachment 194549
I added the rest of the wing piece. Now is more resistant

View attachment 194550
A piece of foam to protect the servo when i land

View attachment 194551
the propeller and motor. I use motor 2208 1800kv and propeller 7"x5. Good performance

flight video

Jack, if i want to do this plane 48", do i have to change something of the structure? do you have thought to make the plans for this size?
Nice! Love the mods! How does she handle with the non-undercamber wingtips? Any big differences?

I think a 48" size Zero would be awesome. Overall, there's not really too much you would have to change. I don't plan on making plans at that size but maybe because its such an easy design... maybe. The only two big things I see main fuselage structure and wing strength. The cowl, cockpit, and tail molded piece are going to be the same scaled up. At 30" size the side walls of the fuselage under the cockpit don't really need to be to strong so it works at this size. The two ways I can think of to strengthen it up is the either put balsa or reinforce the side walls with some sort of strength. The other way is to add a former or two to that section. The only other but more complicated way is making a traditional box style fuselage inside the fuse. Although, I don't think that would be necessary. The main things to keep in mind is that that fuselage molded piece keeps the wings in place, and also needs torsional strength when you would roll the plane. If you have any other ideas that follow those rules it should work just fine.

The wings would just be strengthen by just simply adding a wooden spar. I'd say a wooden spar than runs 1/2 of the wing for the agile zero. Also, just cut one more of each foamboard spar to create two thickness of foamboard spars to strengthen it up as well. All of that and you should be good.:)

Fonfría

Hola. Me ha pasado una cosa cuando he impreso los planos. Las curvas de las alas salen cuadriculadas. A alguien le ha pasado? Que puedo hacer ? Gracias

Attachments

• IMG_20210701_225653.jpg
    IMG_20210701_225653.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Niez13

Elite member
Hola. Me ha pasado una cosa cuando he impreso los planos. Las curvas de las alas salen cuadriculadas. A alguien le ha pasado? Que puedo hacer ? Gracias
That's the first I've seen that happen before. Does that happen in other spots or just that one? On that specific spot you could away with free handing it.