1st Balsa Build, Sig Four-Star 20

Wildthing

Legendary member
All the controls/servos are in except the throttle linkage. Once I get the engine mounted first thing will be to see if I have enough travel , I had to shorten it's servo arm to be able to run the three servos on the same mount. If it doesn't I just have to build a separate mount for it so I can put on a longer servo arm.
2020_1210_131327_001.JPG
2020_1210_131332_002.JPG
2020_1210_131346_003.JPG
2020_1210_154404_001.JPG

Wildthing

Legendary member
Its looking good man! how well is the blue and grey gonna work for orientation do you think?
Well I had enough blue to do the whole plane but decided to atleast make the underside of the wing grey, plus there will be some decals that go on later.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I used a detail iron like the one you picked up mostly for tacking down and shaping edges. I tried the household iron and that was successful, but it went really fast and seemed a little uneven in the shrink. But the heat gun had more control comparatively then the iron so that was used mostly. I would like to get a regular hobby iron for better results.

The pilot looks 3D printed, are you printing something for the cowl or using the one that comes with the kit?

I guess a nitro motor will get warm and possibly distort the PLA?

Wildthing

Legendary member
I used a detail iron like the one you picked up mostly for tacking down and shaping edges. I tried the household iron and that was successful, but it went really fast and seemed a little uneven in the shrink. But the heat gun had more control comparatively then the iron so that was used mostly. I would like to get a regular hobby iron for better results.

The pilot looks 3D printed, are you printing something for the cowl or using the one that comes with the kit?

I guess a nitro motor will get warm and possibly distort the PLA?
The model of iron I have is a Hangar 9 model HAN101, I think I got it from A-Main hobbies

Yes I have to make a cowl , the one supplied is about a 1/2" to short for the nitro engine.

GliderFlyer

Elite member
@Wildthing - this really taking shape now
Goodness, I'll say. Its only been a little more than a week and your almost done. I guess it could go that fast if you have more time (and CA glue). I need to find more time to work on my project. Its not progressing as fast as I would prefer.
Good work, though, and on your first balsa build(y)

Wildthing

Legendary member
Goodness, I'll say. Its only been a little more than a week and your almost done. I guess it could go that fast if you have more time (and CA glue). I need to find more time to work on my project. Its not progressing as fast as I would prefer.
Good work, though, and on your first balsa build(y)
Thanks, I have more time then money :D

Javiester

Elite member
Now the mods to convert it to gas. Even though Sig shows the option all they have is a picture of the plane with a gas engine so zero parts for the conversion which I was a little disappointed in. They supplied a couple thick spacers for the electric setup to allow room (length) for the gas engine . Their measurement from firewall to the prop flange is suppose to be 2 5/8" when you set it up well my engine with mount is 1/2" longer so it looks like I will have to 3D print a new cowl.

Anyways, once the glue cures I can start on the top of the fuse.

View attachment 185563 View attachment 185564 View attachment 185565 View attachment 185566 View attachment 185567
a question
fuel consumption does not change CG?
It is a question that has been around me since I have little .049

bracesport

Legendary member
I seem to be endlessly tweaking things but not flying. Our spring has been wet and windy (wrong winds) and there seems to be lots on with non flying related family activities! I do have some new stick on Velcro which is working well, so some upgrades in progress there. :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
I seem to be endlessly tweaking things but not flying. Our spring has been wet and windy (wrong winds) and there seems to be lots on with non flying related family activities! I do have some new stick on Velcro which is working well, so some upgrades in progress there. :)
You should have some batteries charged for days when the wind is wrong, we know you have some perfectly good electric planes ready to go :D

Bricks

Master member
Throttle Geometry.jpg
The correct way to set up a linear throttle. You just do not want total zero you need to leave some travel for shutting down the engine since you are using glow and not gas where a switch is used to kill the engine.

Wildthing

Legendary member
View attachment 185994 The correct way to set up a linear throttle. You just do not want total zero you need to leave some travel for shutting down the engine since you are using glow and not gas where a switch is used to kill the engine.
Interesting, I know to keep some for 0 throttle to shutdown the engine but your picture is like adding a mechanical curve to it. Going to give it a whirl, thanks.