2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge! CoD Infinite Warfare Jackal Space fighter

JTarmstr

Elite member
Jackal-Pic.png
Hey guys. this is my entry for the fantasy aircraft design challenge.

The Jackal was a air/space superiority fighter in the Call of Duty Infinite warfare universe. Developed by India's space program. The Jackal became the primary fighter for SATO. Capable of combat in space and atmosphere, and able to achieve speeds 3,230 MPH under its main engines and when needing to escape a planets atmosphere, it could boost to speeds of 49,700 MPH.

Specs:

Length: 62 Ft

Height: 19 ft

Width: (wings extended) 54 ft

Top Speed: 3,230 MPH

Design goals:

1: Make it fly

2: Make it look good

3: Make it cheap ;)

4: Make some plans and make it easy to build.

Should be fun. Feel free to leave comments on improving my design or powerplant/electronic parts I should use

Unfortunately this is my first documented build, so this will be a bit of a mess.

Last edited:

JTarmstr

Elite member
Ok so right now I am looking a FT Viggen style build. I am going to use two base sheets of foam for wings and the build a fuselage on top. thinking a 65mm EDF? Will edit with drawings later.

Edit: more details:

3 foot wingspan

Components: plywood, balsa, standard Dollar Tree foamboard

I want to model this after a Jackal configured for atmospheric combat
maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome aboard! :D

So roughly this looks like 4 EDF lifting body, but with the fun transitional wings... are you planning to have the wings extended any more or is that the outer position already? And are you thinking to have the wings transition in flight, or is that phase 2 - just make it fly first?

JTarmstr

Elite member
Welcome aboard! :D

So roughly this looks like 4 EDF lifting body, but with the fun transitional wings... are you planning to have the wings extended any more or is that the outer position already? And are you thinking to have the wings transition in flight, or is that phase 2 - just make it fly first?

Yes, I was planning on a lifting body sort of like a YF-23 or F-22. I have a few problems though

1: 4 EDFs are going to cost a lot and I dont have much to spend on this

2: I have No experience wiring multiple EDFs together

3: Even if I did get 4 EDFs on the same airframe I would have a rocket on my hands, I dont think I would be able to fly it safely

I was considering having 1 or 2 EDFs and then ducting them out those ports

As for wings transition in flight, yes that would be my second prototype, first I have to get this off the ground!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That looks cool. Never saw that before. This will be a contender for sure if you can get it to fly and look half as cool.

JTarmstr

Elite member
That looks cool. Never saw that before. This will be a contender for sure if you can get it to fly and look half as cool.

Thanks man! this will be my first freestyle build and I am hoping to finish it completely by the end of the year. Its from a old CoD game and I remembered seeing it in an add. I think it was based off of the YF-23 and space shuttle, thx for the support!

Last edited:

JTarmstr

Elite member
Again, thanks for the support! I am going to make a cardstock mock up over the weekend, I will hopefully update at least once a day. Please post any helpful suggestions, thanks!

Update:

Pencil and paper being not up to the task I am going to install sketch up and design the aircraft on that, mock up should be posted by Monday.

Also for all ye EDF fans out there, can you recommend any special EDF? I was looking at the Grayson Hobby FT Viggen EDF pack.

Last edited:

JTarmstr

Elite member
I have a question for anyone reading. Do you think I should add a airfoil to the wings or leave them flat?

I am thinking airfoil since they will be rather small, also will be reading up on lifting body aircraft.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I'm here, I'm listening. ;)

Wing: Go with an airfoil. Even if it's thin, go with an FT-style "foldover" wing with a spar/spacer in the middle and overlapping trailing edge. This construction method gives you a nice rounded leading-edge which helps delay flow separation and stall, it also makes a stronger wing which you're going to need.

EDF: I suggest a twin 50mm or twin 55mm setup. 50 or 55mm EDF's are a bit cheaper than 64/70 size, and together they'll put out enough thrust I believe. I've had good experiences with the FMS 11-blade 55mm EDF on 4S. Here are a few sources:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078YW78QD/?tag=lstir-20
https://www.banggood.com/FMS-50mm-1...0-KV5400-3S-4S-Brushless-Motor-p-1115809.html

That said, I just looked at the Grayson Hobby Viggen 64mm "Basic" pack, and that's not a bad deal, if you can fit twin-64mm's in the model, go for it:
http://graysonhobby.com/flite-test-viggen-64mm-edf-power-package-basic.html

JTarmstr

Elite member
EDF: I suggest a twin 50mm or twin 55mm setup. 50 or 55mm EDF's are a bit cheaper than 64/70 size, and together they'll put out enough thrust I believe. I've had good experiences with the FMS 11-blade 55mm EDF on 4S.

Ok, I have no experience building with EDFs much less dual EDFs, so I will need some help figuring that out. that said, I think I have some solid plans for the fuselage.

I am also going to probably set up the Ailerons so that they also act as elevators, and I am unfamiliar with setting that up to.

Learning a lot of new things...

kilroy07

Legendary member
Learning a lot of new things...
This community is known for that! ;)

I am amazed daily not only at the experience of the members here, by the total willingness to reach out and help.

Just a heads up, I learned recently that the cheaper lipos I had been using for everything, just weren't up to the task to drive an EDF (let alone two.) So, an inventory check for quality/C rating on your batteries might be in order...
@Mid7night helped me out there too, so, thanks again! ("Might" be able to maiden the viper today!!) (y)

JTarmstr

Elite member
This community is known for that! ;)

I am amazed daily not only at the experience of the members here, by the total willingness to reach out and help.

Just a heads up, I learned recently that the cheaper lipos I had been using for everything, just weren't up to the task to drive an EDF (let alone two.) So, an inventory check for quality/C rating on your batteries might be in order...
@Mid7night helped me out there too, so, thanks again! ("Might" be able to maiden the viper today!!) (y)

Thanks, I agree the amount of suggestions I have gotten is awesome. Right now I am looking at several good quality batteries for this project, also I am thinking I might power this on one 65 mm EDF because right now the potential price point for dual EDFs is Way overbudget (I gave myself $75 to spend with a extra $25 in case I need it). Granted if it turns out underpowered I might have to double up. I dont know how well it would work on one EDF and I would have to do some fancy ducting.

So drawing plans, I think it will look something like this
Jackal (2).JPG

Note: this is early stage and obviously I have a lot to work out, gonna try to put this through a CAD program and work this out.
Jackal (4).JPG

This was a earlier idea for a nose/cockpit style

Any opinions on this ESC? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754H7XZZ/?tag=lstir-20

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
I might power this on one 65 mm EDF because right now the potential price point for dual EDFs is Way overbudget
I've got one of the Grayson Hobbies 64 EDFs in my Viggen right now, it flew her just fine on a 3S I would imagine better on a 4.
They are on sale right now for $20!! (Don't buy them all, I might pick up another pair here shortly!) ;)
They are 6 blade, which I understand is more efficient... But doesn't sound as cool as the 12 blades...

JTarmstr

Elite member
I've got one of the Grayson Hobbies 64 EDFs in my Viggen right now, it flew her just fine on a 3S I would imagine better on a 4.
They are on sale right now for $20!! (Don't buy them all, I might pick up another pair here shortly!) ;)
They are 6 blade, which I understand is more efficient... But doesn't sound as cool as the 12 blades...

Dang it, I cant buy the set right now, I already spent what I had for planes this month on new batteries for my FT Mustang. I am hoping grayson will do another sale soon, I want to maiden this design by October.

In the meantime I am going to focus working this out on CAD and getting my mockup built so I can glide test the airframe.

Edit: I was looking at the wrong EDF, the 64mm is 60% off! I might use that as a base powerplant then.

Edit 2: Can anyone recommend a good CAD software? I just need one to make the plans (I generally dont make plans and haven't made them before)

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
I already spent what I had for planes this month on new batteries for my FT Mustang
I understand that, my wife and I are doing the Dave Ramsey FPU... So I've got an "allowance" too! :ROFLMAO:
AND I LOVE the Mustang... I am however not very successful at flying one... (The bane of my RC skills...)
Would LOVE to see pics of yours, here's one I did for FFO this year, she only flew a couple times before I nosed her in HARD.... :cautious:
IMG_7156[1].JPG

I cannot vouch for the quality, but if you want to drop down to a pair of 55mm I did run across this;
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Cle...2.0&pvid=4ea9c3b8-0415-4327-8983-a1ba768fabfa

Sketchup is a pretty easy CAD program (and TONs of youtube tutorial videos.) I don't think it has some of the more advanced features like unfolding... I could be wrong... I use MicroStation (and have for more years than I care to admit) but it's NOT free (unless you are a college student) and has a pretty steep learning curve (I use it in my "real" job...).