2021 mini scout challenge!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
6A2B4190-F9D7-4A21-B272-1F83BD2BD867.jpeg

Happy new year everybody! I’m going to start off the new year with a new community challenge where the objective is to build the lightest mini scout possible. The mini scout is a timeless classic - most people have built one at some point and I’m pretty sure we’ve all loved ours. This challenge will allow you to show off your building skills and creativity while you try to build the lightest mini scout possible.

Here are the rules:

1) No modifying the plans. Building out of different types/thicknesses of foam (or balsa) is ok, but in the end it needs to be a stock mini scout without scaling or changed proportions.

2) Have fun! Be creative, try new techniques, and learn from each other. If you’re not satisfied with your first attempt, try again!

The deadline for your final entry will be at 11:59 January 31 in whatever country/timezone you’re in.

At the moment I don’t have any prizes planned other than bragging rights. :)

Have fun and good luck!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
First place goes to @Samh with an AUW of 49 grams!
Second place goes to @MooreRC with an AUW of 51 grams!
Third place goes to @BlockerAviation with an AUW of 68 grams!

Honorable mention goes to @Intashu with an AUW of 54 grams, but wasn’t able to fly it.

Way to go everyone who participated, and whether your mini scout flew or not, we all had a lot of fun!

Last edited:

Flyingshark

Master member
View attachment 187636

Happy new year everybody! I’m going to start off the new year with a new community challenge where the objective is to build the lightest mini scout possible. The mini scout is a timeless classic - most people have built one at some point and I’m pretty sure we’ve all loved ours. This challenge will allow you to show off your building skills and creativity while you try to build the lightest mini scout possible.

Here are the rules:

1) No modifying the plans. Building out of different types/thicknesses of foam (or balsa) is ok, but in the end it needs to be a stock mini scout without scaling or changed proportions.

2) Have fun! Be creative, try new techniques, and learn from each other. If you’re not satisfied with your first attempt, try again!

The deadline for your final entry will be at 11:59 January 31 in whatever country/timezone you’re in.

At the moment I don’t have any prizes planned other than bragging rights. :)

Have fun and good luck!
Count me in!

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Are there any rules on power system? If I put a 1s system on a scout it’ll be way lighter than someone who only has an A pack system. Do we have to show proof of flight?
Does the weigh in happen at the ready to fly weight?

OliverW

Legendary member
Are there any rules on power system? If I put a 1s system on a scout it’ll be way lighter than someone who only has an A pack system. Do we have to show proof of flight?
I believe it is weighed in without the battery, and you can do a 1s setup, and you have to show proof of flight

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
If you can get it to fly off a 1s system then go for it!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Would making one out of Carbon Fiber and tissue covering for the fuselage be modifying the plans?