2nd Tricopter Build Help

Hello guys,

I've learned to fly my Tricopter (David's build) and even got into a cheap FPV flying but I now want to make a better trike with a better cam too (Mobius).

Instead of the 24 gr Hextronik motors, I want to move to 980 kv Sunnysky motors as I've heard very good feedback on them. I'm aiming at lower Kv motors for higher efficiency and weight lifting. I've found this offer for 4 sunnyskys at about $55 for the whole pack.

My questions are:

1) Do you agree these sunnyskys are a safe bet and a step forward?
2) What ESCs would you recommend? I was thinking these considering they're already pre-flashed with SimonK. What feedback do you have here? I have an Atmel programming tool but Afro's seem to have a different chip.
3) Alternatively, I found these Mystery ESCs but I've never heard anything on them.

Any other suggestions on my 2nd build would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I suspect now AE is famous for the biggest IPO in history, we will start seeing it 'around' allot more. You'll be happy with the Sunnyskys.

Those Sunnyskies look good. The Mystery ESCs are a mystery to me, :p so I can't comment on them. I personally love the Afro's ONCE you flash them to an up-to-date NFET.

RichB

What do you mean ? default firmware is problematic ?

For certain motors, the SimonK firmware from early 2013 is problematic. This was shipping on Afros as recently as July 2014, and may still be.

Symptoms include running motors becoming increasingly twitchy during flight, escalating to suddenly stopping mid-flight for 1/2 to 2 seconds.

Myself and Cyberdactyl have both experienced this independently and we both recommend updating to the latest SimonK as a first step when getting new Afro ESCs.