3D Printing fails

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
There are lots of options, that was just the first one I spotted on ebay of the general design. I had a simpler one that didn't have the fittings for PTFE tubing on the inlet/outlet and was very happy with it...but it wouldn't mate with my e3d V6 hotend so it's just sitting here waiting for me to mount it on my MPCNC to serve as a second printer ;)

I'm sure we can help get you going with a minimal outlay of parts!

I bet if you ask around you'll find someone who can print parts for you in the UK. Worst case you could try 3dhubs or order a few essential parts from shapeways.

There are lots of options, that was just the first one I spotted on ebay of the general design. I had a simpler one that didn't have the fittings for PTFE tubing on the inlet/outlet and was very happy with it...but it wouldn't mate with my e3d V6 hotend so it's just sitting here waiting for me to mount it on my MPCNC to serve as a second printer ;)

I'm sure we can help get you going with a minimal outlay of parts!

I bet if you ask around you'll find someone who can print parts for you in the UK. Worst case you could try 3dhubs or order a few essential parts from shapeways.

I have been having a look and i have see one called the 'Greg's Wade' extruder. Looks like its the go to extruder for the rep rap but need to do more research. Won't be able to do much more now until I have more money. Just have to wait and see. Need to find the instructions so I can build a new jig to ensure i have it set up right since i took it apart.

tamuct01

I was able to turn a fail into a success. As noted before, I'm printing a toilet for my daughter's 18" American Girl doll. I scaled up this model (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1866716) by 304% to get the appropriate size. Final height is ~180mm. I rotated and sliced the model into a tank and bowl parts. The bowl was going to require supports for a couple areas, but no biggie. I set it up to print both parts at 0.20 layer height and let it rock. To my horror the next morning I came in and saw this:
IMG_2088.JPG

I thought 15 hours of printing was lost. I took the bed off, fixed the loose bed thermistor, reassembled everything and recalibrated the bed. I'm glad I took the photo of the failure screen because it told me it was at 61mm layer height when it quit. Since it aborted the print and didn't make spaghetti of everything I went back into Slic3r and cut the model again at 61mm. I then decided to print the remaining pieces separately:

IMG_2089.JPG

Once finished, I had 4 parts instead of 2. Oh well! I glued the parts together with CA, and started printing the lid. The lid is supposed to stick into a receiving hole in the bowl, but there's no way for it to flip up or down. I make a quick pair of supports for hinges in TinkerCad, cut off the tab from the lid and made a hinge pin from some T-pins. After adjusting the fit, I glued the hinges to the bowl with CA.

IMG_2090.JPG

My daughter is super excited to have a potty for her doll. It only took a couple bucks in plastic and a few days' work. Yay daddy!

IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2093.JPG

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Looks great tamuct01! Glad you were able to salvage what seemed like a failed print and make it work out so well.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ohh that Doll is gonna be mad at you!!! You think the wife is mad when you leave the seat up.. what happens when there is no seat..

Run... Run now!!!

Actually that thing came out great. I thought it was a real one when I first opened the post and thought did someone 3d printed a toilet lid.. yes as well as the rest of one.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Mmmmm. Fail, fail, fail, fail, GOOD, fail, fail, fail...
Bah. these things can be tempermental. Finally got it adhering good at .1mm for a "special" part, then switched back to .2mm only to have it not adhere at all. :black_eyed:

Cheers!
LitterBug

tamuct01

I've had different success with bed adhesion over the various 3D prints I've done. I think a LOT has to do with the quality of filament. I've had some not stick at all to the PEI sheet, and others stick just fine. I've used glue stick on the bed with general success, but depending on the part it can be VERY difficult to remove. As with all things, YMMV.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
In this case, same filament, same temperatures, just changed layer height. Not sure if it's the crappy stock XYZ firmware playing games or what. If I get it set for .2mm height to work good, it smashes the nozzle into the print bed when I try to print .1mm height. Appears that the opposite is true when getting it all set for .1mm and it is too high so it doesn't even contact the bed. Need to see if there is an offset I can set in Simplify3D instead of having to adjust every time I want to change layer height.

LB

randyrls

Randy
My 3d printer is sitting in the corner screeching out an LCD front plate. I'll let you know how it turns out.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
HAPPY PRINTER SOLSTICE!!!

Wow. So not only is today the Winter Solstice with the least amount of daylight for the year, It is the Printer Solstice with the least amount of bed/filament adhesion... Literally EVERYTHING I tried to print on either printer failed miserably.
20171221_071007.jpg
20171221_071120.jpg

LOL
LOL
LOL
HEHE
HOHO
HAHA

Cheers!
LitterBug

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I too have thought, "This should go well." only to find something resembling color-dyed rice noodles upon return. I have found some designs warrant "special" bracing. I've used failed prints and extra masking tape to stabilize objects that would otherwise lose adhesion later in the print. I do know there is a Supports check box but I can be a bit hardheaded.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
That would be the XYZ da Vinci Color. Based on the hands-on reviews I've seen of it, I'd wait a while to let them work the bugs out. It's an example of the technology you're talking about, though.

I have an XYZ Davinci 1.0A and will "NEVER" buy another XYZ. Great looks, horrible implementation, bad service, and proprietary cartridges.