3D printing for the rest of us

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
To my knowledge we do not really have a dedicated thread for 3D printing. I think that's a shame. Not only is it a hobby in it's own right, there are so many great things we can print for our FT style planes.

I've seen where FT forum members, who literally just got a 3d printer, printed folding landing gear for an FT Spitfire. I've seen trials and tribulations of other members, just trying to get a printed, plastic plane to fly. I've personally got two printed and just waiting for assembly, and my confidence level

You can print supports, spinners, connectors, canopies, guns and pilots. You can even print an entire plane. There really isn't a limit to what can be done with a 3D printer and this hobby.

So I present a simple benchy. Only it's not the cool little boat you're thinking about. We're taking a benchy to an entirely different level. Plus, it's not so simple.

This:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4575774

Watch the video, so you know what you're supposed to be printing and the reasons that it's the new benchy.

Here's my take. It took six tries and two different filament types to get it right, tweaking all the way. That's pretty much what 3D printing is about.

20200917_004029.jpg

20200917_004058.jpg

It's not a plane. That's not the point. I want you to be able share any type of 3D printing triumphs you have, here. If it's RC aircraft related, that's a definite bonus! :)

Timmy

Legendary member
My problem with 3D printing is all the lines that the filament makes. You need to sand it down and for things like an engine with lots of details its pretty hard. Maybe the printer at my community center juts has really thick filament

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
My problem with 3D printing is all the lines that the filament makes. You need to sand it down and for things like an engine with lots of details its pretty hard. Maybe the printer at my community center juts has really thick filament

you can do an "acetone" bath and it will solve this. assuming you use PLA and the printer is setup correctly and not using some monster nozzle.

i never bother, but i also have my printer set up really well so my lines aren't that noticeable.

laters,

me :cool:

Matagami Designs

Master member
you can do an "acetone" bath and it will solve this. assuming you use PLA and the printer is setup correctly and not using some monster nozzle.

i never bother, but i also have my printer set up really well so my lines aren't that noticeable.

laters,

me :cool:

I thought acetone baths were only useful for ABS? Either way I am okay with my layer lines. I print PETG anyway since I tend to let my planes sit in the car... 😬

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Those make the legacy look SOOO good! I might have to print a couple of those. lol maybe I should put them on a quad...
Dude you don't even have a printer lol. However you're welcome to print them on mine if you can get it fixed... :sneaky::sneaky::p

quorneng

Master member
Although it is possible to print complex shapes in one go there usually is a significant penalty in the print quality.
My solution was to print parts with each orientated for print quality and designed to fit exactly so they can be simply glued together.
The component parts of a 9 cylinder radial based on the P&W Cyclone.
ExploView.jpg

To complete each cylinder needs 7 parts with 2 for the crankcase that surround the motor.
So 54 parts to arrive at this:
ASh-62.JPG

It is printed in the appropriate colour PLA so no painting is required.
It has a substantial printed tapered motor mount that will be fixed to the firewall.
BulkHead2.JPG

All surrounded by a printed cowling.
Cowl1.JPG

And fixed to the front of my Depron Antonov AN2.
CarbIntake.JPG

Of course much of the engine detail is hidden (and not even accessible!) but I do have the satisfaction of knowing it is there.

I did wonder if it would be possible to 3D print the parts to make a working steam engine but of course running on compressed air.
After much trial and error and several smaller prototypes the final result.
TwinCmplt.JPG

A twin cylinder double acting 'vertical' engine. It uses the same 'multiple parts glued together' principle.
It runs too.

Last edited: