3D printing for the rest of us

chris398mx

Master member
Although it is possible to print complex shapes in one go there usually is a significant penalty in the print quality.
My solution was to print parts with each orientated for print quality and designed to fit exactly so they can be simply glued together.
The component parts of a 9 cylinder radial based on the P&W Cyclone.
View attachment 179343
To complete each cylinder needs 7 parts with 2 for the crankcase that surround the motor.
So 54 parts to arrive at this:
View attachment 179348
It is printed in the appropriate colour PLA so no painting is required.
It has a substantial printed tapered motor mount that will be fixed to the firewall.
View attachment 179347
All surrounded by a printed cowling.
View attachment 179349
And fixed to the front of my Depron Antonov AN2.
View attachment 179352
Of course much of the engine detail is hidden (and not even accessible!) but I do have the satisfaction of knowing it is there.

I did wonder if it would be possible to 3D print the parts to make a working steam engine but of course running on compressed air.
After much trial and error and several smaller prototypes the final result.
View attachment 179353
A twin cylinder double acting 'vertical' engine. It uses the same 'multiple parts glued together' principle.
It runs too.
Wow that is some crazy detail!!! mind sharing your CAD or STL files?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Although it is possible to print complex shapes in one go there usually is a significant penalty in the print quality.
My solution was to print parts with each orientated for print quality and designed to fit exactly so they can be simply glued together.
The component parts of a 9 cylinder radial based on the P&W Cyclone.
View attachment 179343
To complete each cylinder needs 7 parts with 2 for the crankcase that surround the motor.
So 54 parts to arrive at this:
View attachment 179348
It is printed in the appropriate colour PLA so no painting is required.
It has a substantial printed tapered motor mount that will be fixed to the firewall.
View attachment 179347
All surrounded by a printed cowling.
View attachment 179349
And fixed to the front of my Depron Antonov AN2.
View attachment 179352
Of course much of the engine detail is hidden (and not even accessible!) but I do have the satisfaction of knowing it is there.

I did wonder if it would be possible to 3D print the parts to make a working steam engine but of course running on compressed air.
After much trial and error and several smaller prototypes the final result.
View attachment 179353
A twin cylinder double acting 'vertical' engine. It uses the same 'multiple parts glued together' principle.
It runs too.
Beautiful! Great prints all around!

quorneng

Master member
chris398mx or anyone else.
Here are the STL files for the 9 cylinder as fitted to my AN2.
They were all printed using CURA 4.6 in PLA on my Anet A8 using a 0.4 mm nozzle and a wall thickness of 0.25 mm and a layer height of 0.15 or 0.1 mm as appropriate.
Each file will need to be orientated on the bed to suit printing but support is only required for 9cylCaseNose. To save weight I used no fill either.
You will need 18 off of Cylinder1b and 9 off of each Cylhead1b, PushRodBase, PushRodL and PushRodS. With the 2 parts of the crankcase and the exhaust ring giving a total of 57 parts. :eek:
I don't remember the print time but it was a good many hours and gluing it all together took some time too!
Have fun.

Attachments

• 9cylCaseMount.stl
    282.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 9cylCaseNose.stl
    552.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Cylhead1b.stl
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Cylinder1b.stl
    192.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PushRodBase.stl
    59.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PushRodL.stl
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
  • PushRodS.stl
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
  • ExhaustRingCmplt.stl
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Perhaps the coolest thing about 3D printing and FT style planes is doing repairs on the fly.

The last hard touch down tore off the landing skid, and peeled the front landing gear back on my Storch. There wasn't a lot left to glue to, to repair the bottom plate. 5 minutes in Tinkercad and here we go.

20200920_001018.jpg

The holes on the side not only reduce weight, they allow for more surface to glue to. I don't think that landing gear will be peeling back again.

This is my Mustang. The tail has succumbed to hangar rash. I'd previously designed a tail support for another plane. All I had to do was print a couple and my tail is ninety degrees again.

20200920_021953.jpg

Back to the Storch. The grass wrapped around the tail skid. That's why there was so much damage to the landing gear. I didn't design this one, just downloaded it. There's probably lots of better ways to repair a skid, but darn this was easy!

20200920_025143.jpg

Here's the link for that one: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1833405

I'm repairing planes to fly on Monday, hopefully. There's more to come. :)

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
my latest 3D design and print. rear portion of the tube took 21hrs.

20200914_172802.jpg

still need to finish belly pod, sand down leading edges, wing tips, and add front wheels. running a 12 blade, 70mm EDF, 60A ESC on 4S-1300 (hopefully).

20200920_175646.jpg

design needs some work but i'm gonna see what we can do with this one since i already printed it. thinking about calling it the "Mike Wazowski." :LOL:

laters,

me :cool:

Captain Video

This thread is really cool but I have a question.
I have an Ender 3 Pro.
Can I just use regular glass for the print bed or should it be tempered or something i have not considered?
I have been using the textured sticky Ender print surface but I hear glass works better.
Thoughts, Ideas?
Your input is greatly appreciated.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
This thread is really cool but I have a question.
I have an Ender 3 Pro.
Can I just use regular glass for the print bed or should it be tempered or something i have not considered?
I have been using the textured sticky Ender print surface but I hear glass works better.
Thoughts, Ideas?
Your input is greatly appreciated.

I have been using PEI on my older printers and have started down the path of getting a PEI sheet for the Monoprice MP10. I've used glass, built-tak, blue tape, glue on tape, etc... and for me, PEI has worked the best. I finally was able to get replacement build plates for the MP10, and will rip the original build-tak tape off the original build plate and replace it with PEI. The original build-tak that was on my MP MiniV2 was actually TOO sticky. I did an extended print with PET-G, and could not get the tape off the print... Needless to say, ruined print, and ruined tape. LOL.

Cheers!
LB