4 Metre Glider Scratch Build

What should I build next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jackson T

Elite member
I'm going to have to get into FPV after seeing your footage. I've always felt flying RC is vicariously satisfying the desire to fly. Looking out the front of a glider through a camera brings that feeling even closer.
You should definitely try it, it's heaps of fun! Quite a stunning view from up there too, I might add. There's a really cool thread over here about scale cockpit FPV with head tracking, if you're interested.

Jackson T

Elite member
I flew my glider again today, but I had an elevator trim issue so I cut the flight short. I started flying around downwind of myself to lose altitude, but I flew over a herd of sheep that must have triggered a thermal (or were farting heaps :ROFLMAO:). After deciding to keep flying instead of landing, I flew back and forth through the lift. It was very hard with the elevator not being trimmed, but I managed. I started flying around the area at maybe 12m altitude or so, but a few minutes later it was at least double the starting altitude! I am not sure if this will ever be a great "thermal machine", but today proved that it can be done. I am building a Simple Soarer to teach my little sister to fly on, so hopefully I can learn to thermal properly on that.

Last edited:

Jackson T

Elite member
Guess what? I crashed my glider :cry::cry::cry:. I was doing a performance test with my dad that morning. I normally put a few clicks of down trim when I'm near the ground to make sure I don't stall, but this time I didn't. I was low and slow, which didn't leave me with much control authority and overall safety. A cross wind gust came and banked me hard to the left, so I put in full right rudder, throttled up, and pulled up. That ended up with the glider being in a tight, steeply banked turn (my rudder input did nothing) about 2m off the ground, for at least a full 360 degree turn, and then it hit. the wingtip hit first, then the nose swung into the ground. There is some wing damage on the left outer panel and the firewall is stuffed, but it could have been a lot worse. For anyone who is interested, we measured the altitude using two stakes, a string, a tape measure, and trigonometry. Then we timed how long I could glide before I needed to throttle up. From that we figured out the rate of sink and the glide slope (L/D). The calculated rate of sink was about 0.65 m/sec, or 2.13 ft/sec. I was flying FPV to help me fly accurately at minimum sink, but there definitely would have been a drag contribution from the FPV gear (see photo), so the actual performance should be a bit better. I seem to remember the cruising speed being roughly 30km/h from a GPS test I did, which would put the glide slope or L/D at almost 13:1 with the FPV gear. Not bad for my second ever balsa design!
1581073985498.png

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Guess what? I crashed my glider :cry::cry::cry:. I was doing a performance test with my dad that morning. I normally put a few clicks of down trim when I'm near the ground to make sure I don't stall, but this time I didn't. I was low and slow, which didn't leave me with much control authority and overall safety. A cross wind gust came and banked me hard to the left, so I put in full right rudder, throttled up, and pulled up. That ended up with the glider being in a tight, steeply banked turn (my rudder input did nothing) about 2m off the ground, for at least a full 360 degree turn, and then it hit. the wingtip hit first, then the nose swung into the ground. There is some wing damage on the left outer panel and the firewall is stuffed, but it could have been a lot worse. For anyone who is interested, we measured the altitude using two stakes, a string, a tape measure, and trigonometry. Then we timed how long I could glide before I needed to throttle up. From that we figured out the rate of sink and the glide slope (L/D). The calculated rate of sink was about 0.65 m/sec, or 2.13 ft/sec. I was flying FPV to help me fly accurately at minimum sink, but there definitely would have been a drag contribution from the FPV gear (see photo), so the actual performance should be a bit better. I seem to remember the cruising speed being roughly 30km/h from a GPS test I did, which would put the glide slope or L/D at almost 13:1 with the FPV gear. Not bad for my second ever balsa design! View attachment 157025
It is fixable though?

Wildthing

Legendary member

Haha! To be honest, I'm actually quite sick of calling it my "4m glider" all the time, maybe I should give it a name. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Go4Juggler
Go4mars
Riddler

Jackson T

Elite member
Here's what the nose damage looks like.
20200208_161941.jpg

It doesn't look like much, but the firewall is broken, the left fuselage side is bent, and the nosecone thingy needs replacing. And then there's the wing, but that's another story...

Turbojoe

Elite member
That damage is nothing. You'll fix her up just fine. Your choice of colors was great. Transparent colors just seem to belong on a glider. I have a Great Planes Spirit glider kit that you may have inspired me to finally build even though I have no place to fly it. :unsure:

Joe