50mm EDF Tailed Delta Project

L Edge

Master member
How do you know where the CG is? You should go up high, roll inverted. If the elevator requires too much push down to fly level, you need to move the battery until you need very little push down on elevator. That's the CG of your plane, not the plans.

Two, you really need to add a rudder that has control and you will see it will add a new dimension to your flying. Presently, you are flying 2D which sucks in the wind. It has plenty of power, if you feel you need more, take some of the fuse off underneath. Don't do any sharp turns or it will stall and spiral. It is not a prop. It is a different way of flying.

Did you keep the power on low to land?(not off) Did you remember to adjust the throttle curve in an exponential maner at low end as I explained?
You should now put on a number of flights without crashing it.

When flying an EDF, you must think ahead of what you want to do and then do it. Takeoffs require not throwing it at a steep angle, but shallow, landings require a shallow glide(engine running) so you can properly do noseup flare and land near you or go around.

The way I look at it is that you are just learning how to fly just as you did with props.

jfaleo1

Here is a short compilation of both flights, but the camera must have shut off or ran out of power before finishing the second(and successful) flight. As that one progressed I got the hang of it more and more and even managed to do a good roll, but that part cut off. I also explained that part of it was the weight, but part of it was getting used to the way the EDF accelerates.

I plan to fix up, reinforce, and even lighten the plane a bit further even though its kind of beat up already, that way I can at least get some training on it.

I think it looks pretty good. And the second flight looks and sounds, by your description, to have been better. It takes getting used to to fly different types of aircraft. Look at it this way too. This type of delta wing is not used often in full scale for a reason, but you are learning how to make it work.
Use this as a test bed to learn the EDF and to try new mods. The power was enough, plenty of climb and speed to fly, this one will teach you how to fly the wing and manage the power and kinetic energy, rather than flying on power. Not saying lighter is not better, it is, but the Citation X+ (fall on what I know best) has 14000 pounds of thrust with a gross weight of 36000 pounds (numbers both rounded slightly down). The fuel alone is 13000 lbs. I am going to guess even as is you have a lower wing loading and a better power to weight ratio.
Keep it up and don’t be to frustrated. You are learning like everyone. Edison failed on something like 100 attempts to get the light bulb to work. But he said he just learned a hundred ways not to make a light bulb. (Paraphrased)
Looking good and good luck 👍🏻

Vimana89

Legendary member
This one went really bad really fast and suffered a loss of control at the worst time, when I thought things were starting to look better. The plane had random behavior like that some times, and it almost seems like something related to the wing loading and weight that just made it not want to turn or respond right. I should have went with my gut and started a fresh project, the thing was a turd pile and no matter how many roses you put on a turd pile, it's still a turd pile. I don't even want to go into total detail right now, I'm pretty pissed. Suffice it to say I don't even have the electronics. I will be back at another EDF project some time in the future, but not necessarily the super near future, and I'll be approaching it differently.

Thanks for all the help and support, but I'm going to have to put this one on hold for a bit.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’m sorry man, it’s rough when that kind of thing happens. I had a buddy who lost his brand new fpv drone on his 3rd flight due to a receiver issue. He and I looked and looked but never did find it.

jfaleo1

This one went really bad really fast and suffered a loss of control at the worst time, when I thought things were starting to look better. The plane had random behavior like that some times, and it almost seems like something related to the wing loading and weight that just made it not want to turn or respond right. I should have went with my gut and started a fresh project, the thing was a turd pile and no matter how many roses you put on a turd pile, it's still a turd pile. I don't even want to go into total detail right now, I'm pretty pissed. Suffice it to say I don't even have the electronics. I will be back at another EDF project some time in the future, but not necessarily the super near future, and I'll be approaching it differently.

Thanks for all the help and support, but I'm going to have to put this one on hold for a bit.

I am really sorry man that sucks. I get it though. Try again when you are up to it. Until then enjoy other projects.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Its cool. All the advice and support I got here has been solid(y). It was errors in my own judgment and piloting, and possibly building as well, combined with bad luck and bad circumstances. I'll come back to this when I'm ready and it will be with something better thought out and more beginner friendly.