50mm EDF Tailed Delta Project

Vimana89

Legendary member
Stuff just came in. Looks good, only concern is the little front ring/collar on the EDF housing. It pops on and off too effortlessly with no way to lock it in. Am I going to need to use a bit of superglue on it or something?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

jfaleo1

Stuff just came in. Looks good, only concern is the little front ring/collar on the EDF housing. It pops on and off too effortlessly with no way to lock it in. Am I going to need to use a bit of superglue on it or something?

Most are taped but super glue usually holds too.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Everything's here. Couldn't find black foam by there's plenty of white that's fresh and straight, so I'll use that. Going to be some work, but this will be a straight forward build with one dilemma: 3 or 4ch? The main concerns is redesigning the tail plane for rudders. As is, making the dual tails live rudders will conflict with the position of the elevator. I could eliminate the twin tails or reduce to small winglets and add a main VS with rudder. If I do this, I'll probably situate it before the elevator. I don't particularly want to do a split elevator, twin rudders, or anything complex with this first EDF build.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Building about to start! I will start with the fuselage and the wing, as the wing will be the most straight forward part. I'm leaning towards setting this up for 4ch with a pretty basic tail plane design. here's my parts and a quick sketch of various parts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
Working on the template for the fuselage first off. I'll complete this and build the fuselage first, since it's big and two separate parts. I've planned out what I think is the simplest approach while will being sturdy and sleek. The wing will be next since that will be the easiest part.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Templates for fuselage done. Time to draw these up and cut them out and hopefully come out with a nice, neat fuselage. Going with A folds to keep it simple, in a couple key places rather than the whole length.

Attachments

• IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Vimana89

Legendary member
I've made up my mind. 4ch is confirmed(y). I'll use a nice, simple tail plane with anhedral tips. The VS/rudder will start just in front of the elevator(simple one piece). I can't promise I'll be making full use of it or synergizing like a pro with ailerons on the maiden or anything. I'm still pretty awkward at that from the little 4ch experience I have. For the maiden and first couple flights I'll likely fly mostly yank and bank and try a bit of maneuvering with just the rudder and elevator to get a feel for it.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Exhausted most of the day but doing some work now. Decided no anhedral on the tail plane just keep it simple. They wouldn't add anything aerodynamically and would limit elevator area more and compromise strength if not reinforced. I've drawn a simple rudder and tail plane and a winglet template. I will draw up the wing and a box for my first attempt at a nacelle next.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I drew up the nacelle box and started drawing up the wing last night. I'll continue today when I get a chance and feel up to it.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I finished the main drawing and measuring, time to cut and work on the wing and tail section blanks, cut the control surfaces, etc. The plane is about to start taking shape👍

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Man making tabs and slots in any quantity with pencil and straight edge is tedious.
It looks great! That’s why I use illustrator - I can draw up a quick prototype and then I have the tabs and slots easy to cut. It does keep you from starting the project as soon and isn’t practical if you’re designing it while building it.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Will get pics before maiden. I need to do linkages and electronics and mount the main wing for good. The EDF is already on, but I tossed the big bulky complex nacelle and just taped the unit and thrust tube down. It's not the most sophisticated method but It holds good and was easy to align properly, and it's a lot lighter and sleeker.

Vimana89

Legendary member
One dumb thing I overlooked...I do not have a 4s charger. I may be able to maiden with 3s 1600 mAh which gives a max of 650g thrust. We will see how much my plane weighs when it is done and if that will be adequate power to keep from being weak. Today is much too windy, so it will have to wait until at least tomorrow morning anyway. I need to do ailerons linkages and connect everything up. Ordering a 4s charger right now.