Project Un-flyable/Tacit Blue (90mm edf)

dap35

Elite member
The FT Aura 5 lite is pretty good. Depending on the brand/model of receiver, you can drive the key functions (Elevons & V-Tail ) through it, and the nose gear through your rx.

the rc project

The FT Aura 5 lite is pretty good. Depending on the brand/model of receiver, you can drive the key functions (Elevons & V-Tail ) through it, and the nose gear through your rx.
really?!?! i will definitely look into it. im not gonna lie i've never flown with a gyro or safe. but if it gives me that option that would be sweet

the rc project

Well days like today make me question why I even like this hobby..... like seriously. Finally got the wings on after 2 hours of f****** around, I was really happy with how they fit till I realized the connector was stuck in the glue joint.... whatever right? Dug it out and half an hour later all is good, got the tails mounted and was working on some wiring, once it was all looking in order I tested out all the surfaces and started programming flaps and rates. Well I went to try the retracts out and one of them will not work. Very frustrating and this is now officially another test model because it looks like poo Ughhhh(lol edit: we’re just not gonna worry about making it look good, I’m not too mad it’s a really simple plane to build)

Last edited:

the rc project

Well I have revisited my old Tacit blue, I think I’m gonna rename this project unflyable😂, we’re gonna make it work though! Regarding retracts I sorted the issue down to wiring, although I don’t plan on using them during the maiden. I did a high speed taxi test and things Went alright, it handles well, except once the nose starts coming up it won’t come down even with full down, I ran these test atrociously nose heavy in case it wanted to fly but this just scares me more. Could be the “sweep” at the tail of the plane, or the high angle of attack on the flat belly is creating lift..... I think

the rc project

Since I’m revisiting this project I thought I should reevaluate my goals for it, so what’s the plan!
I really think it’s a fascinating aircraft and I’m determined to build a semi scale model.(retracts, twin fans, full flying stabs, etc)

So how am I gonna do this?

I’ve built another small scale with a 50 mm edf to do more testing before I fly the big one. I gave It bigger wings In proportion to the large one, I will cut them down once it’s flying well. The plan for this small scale is to get more understanding on the CG location. Hopefully this small version will have fairly high performance to test the envelope of bank and yank authority. Of course I plan on adding a gyro and rudder control but as of now I can’t 🤷‍♂️, I think it’s possible to fly without gyro and yaw because I had success with my previous small scale and the taxi tests look promising. The power of the 90mm is crazy, I might have to scale up....😎

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Saw it recently at the USAF museum.
IMG_8590.JPG

the rc project

So the slow process of testing continued this morning, more high speed taxi testing and one small hop, the plane started slipping/yawing the second the mains left the ground.... took out one of the mains on the way down but no other damage. Then I flew the small scale, with the CG on the leading edge the plane just sits in a high alpha and wing wobbles, it’s like it can’t get on “step” like a boat😂 (might be a better shape for a boat) I think I’m going to put a good handle on the belly and really give it a toss into the sky!

the rc project

As for the large scale I think it’s time to start cheating🤷‍♂️, I definitely need a gyro but I think I might try to put a very small rudder in the thrust tube, hopefully the TV will be enough yaw authority. Any other ideas on keeping this thing from drifting ?

the rc project

May need to fly faster? You're describing a typical low speed mushing flight on a delta
Probably, when better weather comes around I’ll take some video at the field to show what’s going on better! I have way more thrust than I should need on the large scale and once the mains lift off it slides pretty hard. I’m hoping I can learn more with the small one before I annihilate a 6 cell😂 But yes to better understand I gotta go faster!!!

Yusernaym

My Stiletto was a dense, high wing loading delta, and I agree with Piotrsko on this. It flew like absolute garbage at low throttle, but was remarkably stable once you got some airspeed. The last and most successful test flight demonstrated that the plane essentially didn't fly at anything less than half to two thirds throttle. Granted, it was a lot easier to push a simple prototype test bed than a more finished one like this. As for the yaw slip, it looks like there's not much leverage from the stabilizers to the point of rotation, so that might have something to do with it. I'm no expert in any of this, to be clear. I just messed around with design stuff until it worked, and I know that at least my deltas always needed a lot more vertical stabilization than you might expect.

L Edge

Master member
As for the large scale I think it’s time to start cheating🤷‍♂️, I definitely need a gyro but I think I might try to put a very small rudder in the thrust tube, hopefully the TV will be enough yaw authority. Any other ideas on keeping this thing from drifting ?

Would you take a pic from the rear please?
Yaw is your main problem.
Your thought of a rudder in the tube should be modified by (if needed, cut some thrust tube off) add the rudder outside the tube. It is much more effective.
Got my SR-71 and X-47B to work and had the same problem. Don't know why the V-tail didn't work?

the rc project

Would you take a pic from the rear please?
Yaw is your main problem.
Your thought of a rudder in the tube should be modified by (if needed, cut some thrust tube off) add the rudder outside the tube. It is much more effective.
Got my SR-71 and X-47B to work and had the same problem. Don't know why the V-tail didn't work?
Earlier in the thread I explained in more detail, but essentially I can’t with the radio I’m using until I can get my hands on an aura. Not sure what you’re saying about cutting the thrust tube. Pictures incoming

the rc project

Here are the two test planes(they are pretty ugly up close), I’ve just added the small fins into the thrust tubes, I will give them a shot for some tests at least, I might even want to add a control surface.

The big boi is 50in long, the little one is 32in with a 55mm

Attachments

• 6B8B59A7-5EFD-4707-9718-4C492C09A88C.jpeg
    6B8B59A7-5EFD-4707-9718-4C492C09A88C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • BFF87A2C-808C-43F4-BC03-393C1A9C0BD4.jpeg
    BFF87A2C-808C-43F4-BC03-393C1A9C0BD4.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 3316E3FC-EF19-4F69-8F8A-C9EBCE8B7058.jpeg
    3316E3FC-EF19-4F69-8F8A-C9EBCE8B7058.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

Piotrsko

Master member
Nose is a bit way too long and is destabilizing. Probably on the verge of being uncontrolled. There was a thread with some college students last spring that had a similar design and it flew decent until they tried to turn crosswind and crashed. If you look at the cele (latest turbo go fast passenger ship) the rudder and dorsal is freaking huge. Iirc, you need to get the COP behind the CG.