A noobs attempt at a 3d printed edf

Ranger_107

Elite member

Pieliker96

Elite member
I think Psyborg is referring to Ben Harber (Mid7night)'s ducted props, which IIRC he used on his A-10 and B-52.

To get appreciable thrust out of a 50mm Edf, you'll have to spin it really fast. This is why small EDF units generally use really high kV motors and/or high cell counts. A quick search gives a unit with a 4500kV motor which produces ~850g of static thrust on 4 cells. Compare that to the ~1000kv of power pack B and it becomes apparent that you'll either need to run somewhere in the neighborhood of eighteen cells (and have a capable speed controller to boot) or design a gearing system of sorts, neither of which is mechanically or electrically ideal.

At the end of the day, Power Pack B is designed for high torque, low RPM applications, and a small EDF is the polar opposite of that.

Edit: It might be worthwhile to look into converting the design into a tractor or pusher configuration with a slightly higher pitch and smaller diameter prop than standard power pack B. I've done two pusher prop "jets" in the past: a B-1B and an XB-70, both powered by Power Pack C, a 9x6, and 4 cells. They flew great.

Last edited:

Guy S.

This is a 3d printed 70mm 12 blade. Uses a 2206 2700kv quad motor on 4s. With a 30amp esc. Works wel, but l it’s pretty slow, but flys nice. I’ve redesigned the housing to include more flow straighteners. It’s doesn’t sound as nice but has a bit more speed. This one sounded really cool, but it was caused from air swirling around in the housing, but not being forced out the back. I used PLA for the fan and housing, but the fan has a internal hub made from PETG that is glued in for heat resistance.

Last edited:

JustPlaneChris

3D printed fans and props are a novel idea, but really not very efficient, well balanced, or durable. Several people have done videos on YouTube, and the result is pretty much the same. Ducts can be done, but the spinning parts really need to be molded and made of the right materials.

LB
Don't tell Lynxman that his idea won't work. He's using a 3D printed (120mm!) fan in his big 3D printed L-39, and it sure seems to work. :)

Chris

leaded50

Legendary member
Don't tell Lynxman that his idea won't work. He's using a 3D printed (120mm!) fan in his big 3D printed L-39, and it sure seems to work. :)

Chris
3D printed fans can and will work.. how good and how long, is another thing. A BDF normally not have same effency as a EDF in same size, since made by another principe of motor effect.. And by 3D printed, it needs be made in material suited and suited balanced parts, exploded trys have been many. By eg used a factory prop, and just print the fan housing, it will lower risks much. Aero science have shown that a shroud around a prop will raise effency.

Last edited:

JustPlaneChris

There are compromises in all things, especially things that aviate. :)
I was just responding to the blanket statement that a 3D printed EDF wasn't a good idea. They can (and do) work. I'm flying one of Lynxman's other designs, called the "Nucking Futs" and it has a 3D printed folding prop. It's printed from PLA, and works quite well. Would I run 1000 watts through it? Nope. But at ~300 watts it's great!