F-86 Sabre 70mm EDF

luvmy40

Elite member
1) What is this piece for and where does it go?
2)Is there a cross member spar that bridges both wings for strength or do the two halves just get bonded together?
3) EDF placement in the fuselage & how long is the thrust tube? Or is that not important?
Just a WAG, but that looks like a dihedral gauge.

luvmy40

Elite member
Any suggestions on the battery tray layout? Things you’d change or improve?
I am only just now cutting the parts for this plane. I have no constructive criticism at all.

As a matter of fact, I'll most probably build one with no electronics at all, just to see how the build goes. That will let me experiment with hatches/ access points. Heck, I'm not even sure of the former placement at this point!

luvmy40

Elite member
And a couple of the former's internal cut outs don't look quite right to me. I'll see if they make more sense when I start putting it together.

DrthVdr

Im also looking for some CG. I used my last one on the f4u build and i dont know if they are swappable. So maybe I must get an extra CG, then ill have two...
Then can i just put it anywhere on the jet?

Zephyr1

Elite member
1) What is this piece for and where does it go?
2)Is there a cross member spar that bridges both wings for strength or do the two halves just get bonded together?
3) EDF placement in the fuselage & how long is the thrust tube? Or is that not important?

1) it is the dihedral gauge
2) just glue them together, i'm sure a cross member would be great but with the dihedral it gets tricky
3) what plans are you using? the edf slots into former 5 and the battery under former 3 - a thrust tube is necessary, bottom diameter should be about 64mm for optimal thrust

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Had to build one while stuck inside today because of a winter storm
Its not quite done; I still need to rig up a canopy hatch and some servo protectors...plus find the CG. Looks pretty sharp...thank you Zephyr1 for sharing your plans!

Attachments

• 20240113_191145.jpg
    20240113_191145.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240113_191135.jpg
    20240113_191135.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240113_191124.jpg
    20240113_191124.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I found this CG calculator and using my best half-assed measuring methods, determined the CG to be 207mm behind the leading edge of the root chord. This seems to be further aft than the F-86s from FMS or Freewing models, so please correct me if you know the correct CG for Zephyr1's Sabre.

Our weather is going to be pretty nasty for a bit, so it may be a while before I can chuck this in the air and see what's up, center-of-gravity-wise.

Zephyr1

Elite member
Wow! What a great job! It looks so smooth with the maker foam. For the canopy hatch, I used a magnet on the back, and a piece of foam on the front, that works rather well. I can't wait to see the servo protectors and other mods you'll do.

I'll have to check to get the right CG placement for you

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Thanks! I was able to chuck it in the air the other day to see how close that 207mm measurement was for the CG. Seemed fairly close, but I'm curious to see what you come up with. I wound up putting a couple of "drop tanks" on the bottom for landing skids to protect those servos. It really flew well!

I doubt those drop tanks will survive very many of my landings, so I might rebuild the wing at some point once they get ripped off and orient the servos inside of the wing to allow for a smaller servo protector. I'll post some picts once I get this one painted.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Here's some obligatory glamour shots before she gets all beat up. The 4S 3000 battery is located pretty close to CG. I will need to add some more protective tape to the bottom of the wing and fuselage, as there's a lot of surface area underneath that gets scraped up on landing. Its a fun flyer- lively and quick- and floats well for landing. She looks great in the air! Build one today. Thanks, Zephyr1.

Attachments

• 20240207_200149.jpg
    20240207_200149.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240207_200340.jpg
    20240207_200340.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240207_200421.jpg
    20240207_200421.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240207_200438.jpg
    20240207_200438.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0

Zephyr1

Elite member
I found this CG calculator and using my best half-assed measuring methods, determined the CG to be 207mm behind the leading edge of the root chord. This seems to be further aft than the F-86s from FMS or Freewing models, so please correct me if you know the correct CG for Zephyr1's Sabre.

Our weather is going to be pretty nasty for a bit, so it may be a while before I can chuck this in the air and see what's up, center-of-gravity-wise.
I haven't been able to get anything concrete but I believe the CG point was about 2 inches back from the leading edge of the root chord.

However, based on the battery and it's placement, I'd say it should be good. Mine balanced with a 2650 4S in the nose in that spot, so a 3000 should be good.

Absolutely gorgeous glamor shots of the F-86! I especially love the gun ports!!

Burnhard

Here's some obligatory glamour shots before she gets all beat up. The 4S 3000 battery is located pretty close to CG. I will need to add some more protective tape to the bottom of the wing and fuselage, as there's a lot of surface area underneath that gets scraped up on landing. Its a fun flyer- lively and quick- and floats well for landing. She looks great in the air! Build one today. Thanks, Zephyr1.
This is beautiful!