A plane question for quad people - tiny motors & ESCs

Yeah, check again... Fat finger munday
Yeah That... Is... Nuts. Nano stuff. Crazy!
Makes me think of those guys flying at a crawl in a gymnasium with an audience.
But yeah, I don't want to like change hobbies here. Just buy a really small battery! :p
I'll look more into it but maybe for now it's looking like 110X motors and 2S.

Haha just like @PsyBorg said before I begged him to reconsider. :D
Anyway I don't care to make a 16" wingspan that'll fly away like a paper napkin. But I've got a smallish park a block away, if I had a slower flyer, or small & nimble, I could try flying there. Not quite enough room for a more normal plane.

And the 0802s work just fine on 2S too.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Haha just like @PsyBorg said before I begged him to reconsider. :D
Anyway I don't care to make a 16" wingspan that'll fly away like a paper napkin. But I've got a smallish park a block away, if I had a slower flyer, or small & nimble, I could try flying there. Not quite enough room for a more normal plane.

And the 0802s work just fine on 2S too.
You should try them on 6S! ;)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
These are the motors I'm going to use on my FT Dart (should I ever get back to wrkn on it. Have a pair for my VAS Ghost as well. They are some of my biggest 110x motors and have "bolt on" props for more abuse.
DartMotors.jpg

CampRobber

Got it. So it looks like you either use 2S or try to use 1s and add a booster of a couple grams more. Well anyway, 2s is still tiny.

I think the <5v aspect of 1S is going to be a problem with basically every piece of gear you try to use. It's easily possible to build a 2s or 3s model well within the 250 gram limit. Most of the 1S models like tinywhoops are designed as one fully-integrated package so the electronics designers are planning on <5v everywhere from the start.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I think the <5v aspect of 1S is going to be a problem with basically every piece of gear you try to use. It's easily possible to build a 2s or 3s model well within the 250 gram limit. Most of the 1S models like tinywhoops are designed as one fully-integrated package so the electronics designers are planning on <5v everywhere from the start.
Excellent point. The linear servos are rated 3.2-4.2v, so if you are running 2s, you may have to drop the voltage. I have not checked online to see if people have run them @5v

I hear that. For sure. Thx.
I'm zeroing in on 2S and I guess an 110X motor.
I think one of the things that's turning me on to this direction is I can experiment more with quick & dirty builds without them being too precious. Canards, tandems, various twin options, pushers... It's not so intimidating at this size. There's less at risk.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yeah, unless you are going for uber light weight, I would stick with 2S and up. The nano FrSky RXes will do 1-2 S with no voltage regulation. You could use a 3.3v Bec to run the electronics to be able to flip flop. The thing to remember is Watt Hour capacity will weigh the same. So if you were going to run a 800 Mah 1s battery, you could run a 400mah 2s battery and have the same WH rating at roughly the same weight.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well then you're going in a VTOL direction with that, right?

Well, in the example yes, but on a plane, you could use it for yaw control. Heck, if you are running 2 motors, you could do them instead of elevons and do pitch and roll, then use a yaw mix on the two motors to do yaw. Just thinkin outside the box here and presenting "options" :)