A plane question for quad people - tiny motors & ESCs

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Oh I thought you were talking like this:
View attachment 182978
That is an option! I've thought about it on a bigger scale. I did a Bicopter with 5" props off a similar setup as the tail pivot on the tricopers.

EZbiMaidenReady.jpg

Inspired by David Windestål's Bicopter before the kits were available. I built one of those too.
DavidBicopter.png

you can still get these... Emax Bullet 6A ESC

you will need to use an external BEC but that's easy and can be had cheap.

good luck,

me :cool:
Yeah I was looking at it. Thanks @mrjdstewart.
Then - I'll be getting a couple 110X motors - and from what I'm hearing, on 2S and 2" blades they should be good with a 6A ESC, but the motors might be good with up to a 3" prop, and they'll take a 3S or maybe more, so I took a wild guess and thought maybe I should go bigger with the ESC.

I found this and bought 2 today:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJ42RG8/?tag=lstir-20
51fgTk9SiEL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

It seems like a no-name brand I suppose, but it's 12A with BEC and it's super light. For 2-3S.
My only slight worry is it puts out just 2A from the BEC. I hope it'll be enough for 3 small servos, possibly even 4. It will, right?

What could go wrong? :D

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Yeah I was looking at it. Thanks @mrjdstewart.
Then - I'll be getting a couple 110X motors - and from what I'm hearing, on 2S and 2" blades they should be good with a 6A ESC, but the motors might be good with up to a 3" prop, and they'll take a 3S or maybe more, so I took a wild guess and thought maybe I should go bigger with the ESC.

I found this and bought 2 today:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJ42RG8/?tag=lstir-20
View attachment 182995

It seems like a no-name brand I suppose, but it's 12A with BEC and it's super light. For 2-3S.
My only slight worry is it puts out just 2A from the BEC. I hope it'll be enough for 3 small servos, possibly even 4. It will, right?

What could go wrong? :D

if you looked on that emax site you could have got a 12A for $8.

that is one of my favorite sites and one that should be bookmarked.

good luck,

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sorry just re-read you post. a 2A BEC will be good for maybe 4x 5G servos, or 2x 9G, and the RX. anymore and you are playing with fire. do some research, they post number for amp draw on the servos, your rx should be the same. once you know that, you can add to find max draw.

good luck,

and it goes 4S no problem... Emax Bullet 12A
Yeah that's cool - and yes I did look at those. But they don't have a BEC. Add it up and that's a lot of grams (even though they haven't bothered to list the weight in their specs).

And yeah, I did the research.

The research I did - and all that was needed - was seeing the Bixler saying something about "and our ESC puts out 3 amps because we never want you to come up short using bigger servos or a lot of functions like retracts and flaps and things." That tells me 2A should be fine for my purposes.

And then I got you to confirm it. I call that more research.

Yeah that's cool - and yes I did look at those. But they don't have a BEC. Add it up and that's a lot of grams (even though they haven't bothered to list the weight in their specs).

And yeah, I did the research.

The research I did - and all that was needed - was seeing the Bixler saying something about "and our ESC puts out 3 amps because we never want you to come up short using bigger servos or a lot of functions like retracts and flaps and things." That tells me 2A should be fine for my purposes.

And then I got you to confirm it. I call that more research.
AND what's the worst that can happen?
Pft. Magic smoke. Glide home. Buy the Emax ones. Ha. It's just money! There's always more where that came from.