Adams Readi-Board shipped to the UK (and international) for £1.66 per board :-)

xMeox

thanks for that post! the colored sheets indeed look very interesting! has anyone tried the fluorescent ones already? are they glue-able as normal boards?

gowen

I've tried a number of UK foam board sources and they have all been 50% to 100% heavier than the Adams/Dollar Tree/FliteTest foam board. By the time I'd got the C of G right the wing loading had nearly doubled making for a very fast flying Nutball and FT Flyer.

If you could weigh a sheet when it arrives, the Adams Ready Board should be just under 300g/m². If it's the real deal, I'll contact the seller about ordering some.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Subscribed. Even though I do live in the US, it will be good to point out this thread for others. Thanks for the hard work!

If indeed this does work, we need to get this news on a podcast to make it more widely known.

Last edited:

ianlh

I've tried a number of UK foam board sources and they have all been 50% to 100% heavier than the Adams/Dollar Tree/FliteTest foam board. By the time I'd got the C of G right the wing loading had nearly doubled making for a very fast flying Nutball and FT Flyer.

If you could weigh a sheet when it arrives, the Adams Ready Board should be just under 300g/m². If it's the real deal, I'll contact the seller about ordering some.

I am awaiting a response from the seller. So as soon as I get that I will let everyone know.

RipGroove

As I said I spoke to GoAdams direct and they have assured me that the Bazic board is the same as Readi-Board, see email below:

RipGroove

When it arrives I'll post details of what its like, how much it weighs and whether or not it arrived safely! I believe its due to arrive this week sometime.

RipGroove

Subscribed. Even though I do live in the US, it will be good to point out this thread for others. Thanks for the hard work!

If indeed this does work, we need to get this news on a podcast to make it more widely known.

Maybe someone on the forum in the U.S. could make some easy money here, in theory all they'd have to do is contact goadams and work out a deal for buying in bulk then just list the 50 board boxes on ebay and tick the box to be included in ebays Global shipping program. eBay then does all the hard work with regards to shipping and import charges, I believe all the seller has to do is pack them well and ship them internally in the U.S. to an address provided by eBay. After all, that's exactly what that seller of Bazic board is doing.

That said though goadams did also tell me that they are working with FliteTest to enable them to become international sellers of the stuff anyway at some point.

gowen

hi gowen.your not all that far from me.im near bideford

Hi viggen,

We've had a couple of great holidays at Westward Ho! The last time there were a couple of guys who used to fly profile 3D off the sea wall in the evenings. Was that you?

You may already be aware of this but, If you fly multirotors there is a small group of 250 racers in Devon.

http://www.fpvhub.com/index.php/topic,44130.msg222788.html#msg222788

http://www.fpvhub.com/index.php/topic,44171.msg222876.html#msg222876

gowen

I've taken the plunge and ordered some of the orange foam board. With postage it works out about £2 a sheet. Estimated delivery is between the 12th & 28th of September. It will be interesting to see if it is as light as the white board.

viggen

hi gowen
not it wasnt me.westward ho,have stopped all flying on the beach.some one got put in hospital after they walked throught there flaged off flying zone..shame realy..let me know when your next this way.it would be nice to fly with some else with ft planes

do you know where they meet in devon?

i looking forward to updates in the foamboard..its its half the weight and just as strong.my planes will be crazy fast and light.

Last edited:

claymore

UK alternatives to dollartree foam

Hello, I am also in the UK and have been using a few alternatives to the Dollartree foam.

The hobbycraft Westfoam is heavy but most of the weight is the paper covering , you can remove this by soaking, but is is a bit long winded and messy, just as a point of interest I have listed the weights below

Hobbycraft WESTFOAM 5mm thick 100mm x 100mm = 5 grams

with the paper removed both sides = 2.3 grams

with packing tape on both sides = 3.1 grams

6mm Depron = 2.6 grams

SELETEC insulation 5mm from B&Q (light green colour) = 1.55 grams (no longer available) simular to depron

SELETEC floor insulation 4.4mm from B&Q = 1.43 grams (currently available ) light green colour
with foil layer removed

I havent built anything with the the newer SELETEC foam yet, the old one was ok, simular to depron and realy cheep, built loads with it. The newer one does not appear to be quite as stiff but may be OK for lighter models.

The packing tape improves the Westfoam in strength and waterproofing a lot and there are also lots of coloured tapes available that give a good finish.

If anyone could weigh a piece of Dollartree foam 100mm x 100mm I would be most interested in the result

Hope this is interesting to someone,

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
Maybe someone on the forum in the U.S. could make some easy money here, in theory all they'd have to do is contact goadams and work out a deal for buying in bulk then just list the 50 board boxes on ebay and tick the box to be included in ebays Global shipping program. eBay then does all the hard work with regards to shipping and import charges, I believe all the seller has to do is pack them well and ship them internally in the U.S. to an address provided by eBay. After all, that's exactly what that seller of Bazic board is doing.

That said though goadams did also tell me that they are working with FliteTest to enable them to become international sellers of the stuff anyway at some point.

Ha ha, That would be a big business, all I would need is a small warehouse to store the foam board and the army of slave children to ship the orders... well I have two boys I guess that could do.《evil grin》moohaha MOOHAHA!

Last edited:

RipGroove

Ha ha, That would be a big business, all I would need is a small warehouse to store the foam board and the army of slave children to ship the orders... well I have two boys I guess that could do.《evil grin》moohaha MOOHAHA!

Well what are you waiting for?! lol

FatsGW

You can get it in a case of 100 of 22" x 28" from the same seller as well. Flitetest uses 20" x 30". It shouldn't be a problem if you're scratch building though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAZIC-22-...Case-of-100-/251956986774?hash=item3aa9ce8396

I'm from Singapore, so in total it costs US $64.40 (foamboard) + US $19.28 (shipping) = US $83.68
about US $0.83 per board? thats cheaper than buying straight from dollartree :rolleyes:

I wonder how long it will take to finish 100 pieces of foamboard though. Anyone from Singapore wants to share? :cool:

RipGroove

My foam arrived, the 20"x30" sheets weigh 115 grams, so that proves that it is indeed Adams Readi-Board, good news!

Now the bad news, even though before purchasing I told the seller that it was being shipped internationally and that extra packaging care need taking it seems that it was just shipped out in its original box, which may or may not have been OK BUT as I wasn't home when it was delivered the local courier company decided it would be OK to just throw the box over a 7ft gate and leave it there in the (slight) rain! So what I've ended up with is some "dog earing" to every piece of board and also some very slightly damp boards. Some of this blame can be put on the seller as it should have been packaged better BUT I believe that most of this damage occurred when it was thrown over the gate. This item should have been delivered to someone in person and SIGNED FOR which if that had actually happened there may well have been a lot less damage. In reality I can probably use all the boards if I am clever with where I lay my plans.

I will of course get on to the seller with regards to the packaging and also to get some shipping details so I can try to make a claim from the local courier.

Last edited:

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
I am glad that you got it. I am sorry that you received it in that state. Hope you get it sorted with the courier and seller. Pretty sure you will be able to make that foam work.

Keep us posted on what you build.

RipGroove

Yes I think it will mostly be fine, it could have been a lot worse if it was out in the rain for any longer! My main grievance is with the local courier as I'm sure most of the damage was done by them. Granted the seller could have also packed it a little better also. Either way I'll be starting my first FT plane soon so will probably post a build thread, mainly because I'm sure I'll have some questions along the way.

xMeox

NOTE: poster board is not the same as foam board!! the link is not the stuff we want!

You can get it in a case of 100 of 22" x 28" from the same seller as well. Flitetest uses 20" x 30". It shouldn't be a problem if you're scratch building though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAZIC-22-...Case-of-100-/251956986774?hash=item3aa9ce8396

awesome found and thanks for sharing!! less than 1 Euro per piece incl. shipping and fees :)
i dont know if i ever will use 100 pieces, but compared to the prices I pay for the heavy foamboard in austria, its still cheap as hell :)

Last edited: