Aero L-39 Albatros V2 - EDF Jet

dehager

Laying out the markings prior to printing on the good decal paper.

Capture.JPG

IMG_1212.jpg

dehager

A big thank you to Grifflyer for the design !!!

The decals and a few panel lines are complete and it is ready for the maiden flight. The marking are my loose interpretation of the real aircraft. The final weight came out to 357.0g (12.59oz) and the flying weight is 483.0g (17.04oz) with a 3S 1550mAh battery. The decal artwork was scavenged from the internet and edited in Inkscape. Not sure when the maiden will be as we are all in lock down here in Pennsylvania, USA. My local field is out in a rural area so we will see.

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG IMG_1228.JPG IMG_1229.JPG IMG_1237.JPG IMG_1223.JPG

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
A big thank you to Grifflyer for the design !!!

The decals and a few panel lines are complete and it is ready for the maiden flight. The marking are my loose interpretation of the real aircraft. The final weight came out to 357.0g (12.59oz) and the flying weight is 483.0g (17.04oz) with a 3S 1550mAh battery. The decal artwork was scavenged from the internet and edited in Inkscape. Not sure when the maiden will be as we are all in lock down here in Pennsylvania, USA. My local field is out in a rural area so we will see.

View attachment 164721

View attachment 164722 View attachment 164718 View attachment 164719 View attachment 164720 View attachment 164723
That really turned out beautifully just like all your projects! You really have a high level of perfection on your models - they look way better than mine ever do! Great job! (y):D

dehager

A big thank you to Grifflyer for the design!

Thank you all for the comments and support during the build! Yesterday was the maiden flight and overall the launching and flight was excellent. It was a little breezy with a crosswind and the plane handled it well. The 3S 50mm EDF worked well and suits my small flying field. With the exception of launching, most of the flight was at 50% throttle so I am more than pleased with the performance. Flight time with a 3S 1300mAh 45C battery was approximately 4 1/2 minutes and 5 1/2 minutes with a 3S 1550mAh 45C battery leaving about 25% capacity. I will have a better idea on battery performance when I actually get to spend time flying.

Final weight - Empty Weight - 357.0g (12.59oz) no battery / Flying Weight 483.0g (17.04oz) w/ 3S 1550mAh

Here is the maiden flight video. As usual it is short, less than two minutes of just the important info and highlights to keep your attention.
YouTube - Aero L-39 Albatros Maiden Flight 04/07/2020

1586380132470.png

Guy S.

Thank you all for the comments and support during the build! Yesterday was the maiden flight and overall the launching and flight was excellent. It was a little breezy with a crosswind and the plane handled it well. The 3S 50mm EDF worked well and suits my small flying field. With the exception of launching, most of the flight was at 50% throttle so I am more than pleased with the performance. Flight time with a 3S 1300mAh 45C battery was approximately 4 1/2 minutes and 5 1/2 minutes with a 3S 1550mAh 45C battery leaving about 25% capacity. I will have a better idea on battery performance when I actually get to spend time flying.

Final weight - Empty Weight - 357.0g (12.59oz) no battery / Flying Weight 483.0g (17.04oz) w/ 3S 1550mAh

Here is the maiden flight video. As usual it is short, less than two minutes of just the important info and highlights to keep your attention.

View attachment 164955
Looks great in the air!

Last edited:

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

View attachment 164955
That flies and looks beautiful!!!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

View attachment 164955
Lovely plane! :)

CanopyOfStars

@dehager Incredible work, looks awesome!

I had finally some time to continue piecing mine together. Turns out that for me the canopy is really the most difficult part to get right. Even though it folds and forms nicely, making it fit is a real pain. I'm on my second canopy attempt now, and it still doesn't align seamlessly. Need to try something else. Otherwise I've really enjoyed putting this together.

I also installed a rudder, since it doesn't add much weight. Rudder will be fun especially on FPV. I have to next figure out how to make some control horns, can't really print anything since the libraries are all closed.

Hopefully I can do the final assembly later today or tomorrow, after which I can move on to electronics.

P_20200407_195104.jpg P_20200407_223629.jpg P_20200408_190413.jpg

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
@dehager Incredible work, looks awesome!

I had finally some time to continue piecing mine together. Turns out that for me the canopy is really the most difficult part to get right. Even though it folds and forms nicely, making it fit is a real pain. I'm on my second canopy attempt now, and it still doesn't align seamlessly. Need to try something else. Otherwise I've really enjoyed putting this together.

I also installed a rudder, since it doesn't add much weight. Rudder will be fun especially on FPV. I have to next figure out how to make some control horns, can't really print anything since the libraries are all closed.

Hopefully I can do the final assembly later today or tomorrow, after which I can move on to electronics.

View attachment 165325 View attachment 165326 View attachment 165327
That looks awesome!!!

Guy S.

@Grifflyer really did a great job on the 50 and 70 mm versions. My 70mm flies great on 4S but my 6S version when it is done should HAUL. I did add a rudder to the 70mm and I was glad I did in 20 mph gusting winds. Can't say enough good about this design.
I haven’t been able to get a good look at the 70mm plans yet. They seem to be raster, not vector so I couldn’t load them in Fusion 360 to take any measurements. Quick question, is the entire plane scaled up to accept the larger fan? Or are the changes only to squeeze the 70mm in without changing overall dimensions? Thanks,
Guy