Aero L-39 Albatros V2 - EDF Jet

dehager

Being saddled between New York and Philadelphia there is a lot of drama in our community. Lots of calls and support, not much modeling today. Fuselage is taking shape...

Until tomorrow, everyone please stay safe!!!

IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0964.JPG

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Just started my attempt at this. Thanks @Grifflyer for the work and plans for this great looking model! My first foam board build, let's see how it goes.

Done preparing the fuselage parts, gonna start gluing next. I was planning to make some sort of GPS enabled FPV version of it, hopefully it won't end up weighting too much.

View attachment 163561
Awesome!!
It's quite a heavy bird as is, so if you plan on adding extra electronics, I'd suggest removing some internal paper.

CanopyOfStars

Did some assembly last night, and I'm quite happy with the results so far! Everything fits pretty well even though I did sometimes do some sloppy cutting.

I think the only thing I really messed up so far a bit is the EDF, as I realized that the cables should probably be pointing downwards instead of up to let them run through somewhere. I figured that trying to fix it now would just break the structures, so I ended up carving a small opening for the cables to pass above the mount and the doubler.

Hoping to finish the fuselage tonight as much as I can, and then move on to the wings.

P_20200329_024551.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Did some assembly last night, and I'm quite happy with the results so far! Everything fits pretty well even though I did sometimes do some sloppy cutting.

I think the only thing I really messed up so far a bit is the EDF, as I realized that the cables should probably be pointing downwards instead of up to let them run through somewhere. I figured that trying to fix it now would just break the structures, so I ended up carving a small opening for the cables to pass above the mount and the doubler.

Hoping to finish the fuselage tonight as much as I can, and then move on to the wings.

View attachment 163752
I embedded some small carbon fiber rods in little bits of foam to the outside of the elevator and ailerons as they are very fragile. Your build is coming on great!

CanopyOfStars

I embedded some small carbon fiber rods in little bits of foam to the outside of the elevator and ailerons as they are very fragile. Your build is coming on great!
Thanks for the tip! I have some 6mm tubes, although they are kinda too thick and reserved for another project. Need to evaluate the situation later🤔

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic

View attachment 163752
It's looking great!! Running the cables like that is totally fine.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Slow day but making progress. One of the good things about using slower glues is that it forces you to slow down and enjoy the build. Those of us older builders who remember Ambroid and Duco will appreciate that. If you don't like the ugly brown glue lines you could use yellow (Titebond II or Traditional) or white glue (Elmers) but the Titebond III has very good open time.

My helper is telling me its time to quit for the day... Until tomorrow, everyone please stay safe!!!

View attachment 163236 View attachment 163233 View attachment 163237 View attachment 163235 View attachment 163234 View attachment 163238 View attachment 163241

Tenkara... And I thought Tri-Copters were hard.

Beautiful build. Looking forward to seeing this once it is completed.

dehager

A good day of building. I need to finish up mounting the control horns, push rods, tail cover and figure out the CG for radio placement. It needs a coat of Minwax before painting as it is DTFB. The wing tanks were cut from a stack of foam board with the paper removed. I had originally built the plan tanks but didn't like the boxy shape. These actually came out 0.30g lighter.

Until tomorrow, everyone please stay safe!!!

IMG_0995.JPG IMG_1027.JPG IMG_1026.JPG IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1028.JPG IMG_1029.JPG IMG_1030.JPG IMG_1032.jpg

dehager

Canopy with magnetic hold down, control horns and push rods with an adjustment loop are complete. The CG is roughly figured with a 3S 1550mAh battery. Patiently waiting for it to stop raining so I can waterproof it with Minwax. I usually paint with water soluble paints and can do so indoors but not with the Minwax.

A quick check on the weight prior to painting shows it being 339.0g (11.96oz), flying weight is 465.0g (16.40oz) with a 3S 1550mAh battery.

IMG_1070.JPG IMG_1061.JPG IMG_1064.JPG

dehager

I am currently limited on the paint selection I have on hand so I will be using Walmart variety craft paint. Fortunately all of the colors are matte. I have decided on a two tone camouflage with yellow accents commonly found on these aircraft in Europe. Let the fun begin...

Hope everyone is staying safe!!!

IMG_1183.JPG IMG_1185.JPG

Guy S.

A quick check on the weight prior to painting shows it being 339.0g (11.96oz), flying weight is 465.0g (16.40oz) with a 3S 1550mAh battery.
This got me curious about the weight of mine. I can’t say I was super carful to keep the weight down while building. Thick poster board thrust tube. 1.2mn push rods, 12g 3d printed wing tips, 4 small magnets for the canopy, etc.....
375g without battery. 539g ready to fly with a RDQ 1300mah 100c 4s.
If, no when I crash this one and rebuild. I think I’ll use a few of the things you did on your build and see about dropping a few grams.
Nice build. It looks great.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
This got me curious about the weight of mine. I can’t say I was super carful to keep the weight down while building. Thick poster board thrust tube. 1.2mn push rods, 12g 3d printed wing tips, 4 small magnets for the canopy, etc.....
375g without battery. 539g ready to fly with a RDQ 1300mah 100c 4s.
If, no when I crash this one and rebuild. I think I’ll use a few of the things you did on your build and see about dropping a few grams.
Nice build. It looks great.
Mine is 554gm ready to fly 4S 1300MAh battery, it flys great!!!

very nice build , Since I have tons of time at home i would like to build one.
is there anyone who can help me to find a pdf file so I can move parts in the plan to save some space in plan and paper that i am going to print on. the file on the first page does not allow me to edit anything on adobe acrobat that I use to edit all my flitetest plans.

dehager

very nice build , Since I have tons of time at home i would like to build one.
is there anyone who can help me to find a pdf file so I can move parts in the plan to save some space in plan and paper that i am going to print on. the file on the first page does not allow me to edit anything on adobe acrobat that I use to edit all my flitetest plans.

Guy S. graciously posted updated files on the ERC TimSav Facebook page. Here are the files if you are not joined and have access.

Attachments

• Vector Plans.pdf
    15.5 KB · Views: 0