An Old Fart, venturing into the final frontier of RC!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Alright... yall gotta stop with the mre talk. Im gettin bubble guts just reading about them.

Im glad to have been in the Navy just for that reason hehe.

On the mixing and radio talk. Open tx basically limits you to how complicated you wanna get.

Them other radios are wysiwyg. No out if the box thinking. You are limited by physical switches and a few standard cross channel mixes.

As far as compatibility goes these days any real radio has a module bay and they all have modules to cover all of the protocols.

If you wanna buy your radio once go with taranis and grow into all it can do. If you want simplicty and are willing to have to "upgrade" limited function every so often look at other gear.

And yes. I AM A GENERIC MOTORS GUY. :geek::eek::devilish:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
@sprzout - OrangeRX and LemonRX?????? :eek:
THIS is why I've told younger guys in Ground Vehicle RC, "Yeah, I've been in RC for nearly 4 Decades, I'll never know it ALL!!"

It's true though. Products change, Protocols change, Technologies definitely change.
...... And here I go again!! Same old Great Hobby - but radically different in operation!!! :unsure::eek: I was also a 1:1 Pilot. A surprisingly little of my experience can be transferred to RC Flight.
I'm ALREADY hearing terms that are new to me as well....

SO... what ARE the "fruit RX's"???? Just a compatible off Brand??

That's exactly what they are. :) OrangeRX is a brand put out by HobbyKing; the receivers can be cheap (I'm hesitant to call them REALLY cheap because of hidden shipping costs that will pop up depending on where it's shipping from, plus I kinda despise HobbyKing - long, sordid story for another day, another rant), and they're of decent quality. OrangeRX can supply FrSky, DSM2/DSMX (Spektrum), and FASST (Futaba) protocols.

LemonRX is another brand out there that offers DSM2/DSMX receivers that are compatible with Spektrum. Some people don't like them because they are fairly stripped down and nearly naked, when compared to a true Spektrum receiver, or OrangeRX receiver, but they're some of the lightest equipment for receivers because of it. A 6 channel receiver is $12.25 (pre-shipping) without a diversity antenna, and $15.25 (pre-shipping) with diversity. Postage depends on where in the U.S. they're shipping to (I'm Zone 2 from them, in San Diego; you might be the same, being in Tucson, but I'm making a wild guess on that; if so, it was $4 additional for shipping 4 receivers to me).

A lot of people say that you're running risks going cheap on the knock offs. Maybe so. But if you're building a foam airplane, odds are you're trying to cut costs. :) I've had no problems; I hear others that have, but when I start questioning what they were doing, they had some sort of failure at the limits of line of sight - they could barely see where the plane was flying, and I think that it's more that they couldn't see the plane rather than the radio signal dropping out.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Alright... yall gotta stop with the mre talk. Im gettin bubble guts just reading about them.

Im glad to have been in the Navy just for that reason hehe.

On the mixing and radio talk. Open tx basically limits you to how complicated you wanna get.

Them other radios are wysiwyg. No out if the box thinking. You are limited by physical switches and a few standard cross channel mixes.

As far as compatibility goes these days any real radio has a module bay and they all have modules to cover all of the protocols.

If you wanna buy your radio once go with taranis and grow into all it can do. If you want simplicty and are willing to have to "upgrade" limited function every so often look at other gear.

And yes. I AM A GENERIC MOTORS GUY. :geek::eek::devilish:
All this talk of MREs is causing a little retrospective jealousy within me. During my service period I started with surplus WWII ration packs and actually thought the Vietnam era ratio packs to be almost gourmet food. Self heating MREs how soft we have become!

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
All this talk of MREs is causing a little retrospective jealousy within me. During my service period I started with surplus WWII ration packs and actually thought the Vietnam era ratio packs to be almost gourmet food. Self heating MREs how soft we have become!

Have fun!

Give them time.....
They'll have Burger Kings that pop up in the middle of DZs with the push of a button!! :eek::ROFLMAO:

PoorManRC

Master member
@sprzout .......... Aren't we all here because we're trying to save money, but still want to have fun!!?? ;)

I admit that I buy cheap Korean Knockoffs. I'll just do whatever I can to NOT have it shipped from Asia. The wait is irritating!! :mad::mad:

Thanks to the generosity of a brand new friend, I'm going Flysky... ANY savings on extra RXs, or any necessary items, will ALWAYS be appreciated!! (y)(y)

In the end.... what are we really risking anyway? With FliteTest kits, about $5 in Foam Core Board!! Well, and the hours that we put into them. If we can save a Buck or 50 - why NOT?

....... @makattack LMFAO!!! :LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

basslord1124

Master member
@basslord1124 - Thank You!! I don't know if the Rudder/Hstab mixing, or the Aileron/Hstab mixing that I was mentioning is considered a "cheat" or not. Again, I haven't flown ANYTHING but a 27mm Park Flyer.... but knowing about how the real ones fly, automatically getting a little Up Stab when turning, should make beginner flying a little easier, right??

Actually I know some modern Horizon Hobby planes (Sport Cub S and Apprentice) both have a mix of throttle up/elevator up already pre-programmed into their systems. So you will obviously get a good take off with those. I think its programmed in their plane's beginner mode. We have a Sport Cub S and never noticed it until someone brought it up. Hows that for a cheat. ;-)

PoorManRC

Master member
@basslord1124 - I'd call that an EPIC Cheat!! Good idea though......

..... Until that guy grabs another Aircraft, assuming that they're a better Flyer than they are, because they didn't bother READING their Manual.
I think that's a great idea! I just hope they make it clear to the buyer, that their flying has been "enhanced"... :ROFLMAO::p:eek:

I was reading my Manual.... Seems that Aileron and Hstab mixing is not only doable, but fairly easy too!! Just roll a wheel, push a button, roll the wheel again, choose percentage of each Servo, hit Enter!! (y)(y)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I remember going hunting with my uncle and him always going under the hood of the 68 dodge power wagon to grab a hot coffee or sandwhich.

Military trains you to adapt and use what is available. Just be passin all this forward to your own kids.

Video game stories dont make for proper traditional telling of our lives.

PoorManRC

Master member
I remember going hunting with my uncle and him always going under the hood of the 68 dodge power wagon to grab a hot coffee or sandwhich.

Military trains you to adapt and use what is available. Just be passin all this forward to your own kids.

Video game stories dont make for proper traditional telling of our lives.

Truer words were never spoken!!! (y)(y)
The Military does a Great job of training self reliance and survival Skills.
At least I HOPE they still do.........

I don't even want to know about grown up Millennials (GOD help us!), reminiscing about their Gamer Identity...
Or worse, getting their KIDS to follow in their tiny footsteps. :(o_O

[There ARE a few exceptions, thankfully. It's just sad, because good, ambitious, hard working, well disciplined young Adults, USED to be the Norm] :confused:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT

I don't even want to know about grown up Millennials (GOD help us!), reminiscing about their Gamer Identity...

[There ARE a few exceptions, thankfully. It's just sad, because good, ambitious, hard working, well disciplined young Adults, USED to be the Norm] :confused:
It is the same here! What used to be tough and strong men are being replaced with a generation who think aggression is toughness and violence proves strength.

A totally different world nowadays! (They wouldn't last 5 minutes in the world I grew up in:rolleyes:).

Have fun!

PoorManRC

Master member
It is the same here! What used to be tough and strong men are being replaced with a generation who think aggression is toughness and violence proves strength.

A totally different world nowadays! (They wouldn't last 5 minutes in the world I grew up in:rolleyes:).
Have fun!

That's RIGHT!!! I went to High School in 1980........ And kept a Rifle in my Truck! NO big deal. I was one of at least 50 Others. Nobody Cared!
And Nobody would even THINK of messing with it.

TRY THAT TODAY!!!! The DEA would be all over you! If you survived unscathed from that - then the "News" will paint you to be the most EVIL human who ever existed!! Everyone would look at you like you're a MONSTER....
Thanks to the Internet, there would be nowhere to escape it, and your permanent Record would be ruined - so you could NEVER EVER get a Good Job, for your entire Life!!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
That's RIGHT!!! I went to High School in 1980........ And kept a Rifle in my Truck! NO big deal. I was one of at least 50 Others. Nobody Cared!
And Nobody would even THINK of messing with it.

TRY THAT TODAY!!!! The DEA would be all over you! If you survived unscathed from that - then the "News" will paint you to be the most EVIL human who ever existed!! Everyone would look at you like you're a MONSTER....
Thanks to the Internet, there would be nowhere to escape it, and your permanent Record would be ruined - so you could NEVER EVER get a Good Job, for your entire Life!!
In a way I admire the "Gun Culture you have in the US. Here guns are extremely difficult to obtain, (not that I want or need one). Here our police are heavily armed, all wear bullet vests and can kill, legally, anyone they "Feel" is a threat to them. I tell people who think of moving here that the "Lucky" country is really a dangerous place to live now!

I also admire the stand Trump has taken on the Fake news. In my days the media reported the news and did not try to make it!

OHHH! How times and the world have changed!

have fun!

Mode 1

One thing about those with a Gamer identity... they learn to fly in hours and are great pilots in days. Apparently, all that gaming translates really well to RC and thumb skills/coordination. Of course, they'll never build their own plane as that's "work" :)

kilroy07

Legendary member
Lol, I liked the freeze dried pork patty, but you HAD to eat it dry!
But I agree chicken al king was the worst, but didn’t it come with the FD peaches? :love:

Ah, the memories....

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
One thing about those with a Gamer identity... they learn to fly in hours and are great pilots in days. Apparently, all that gaming translates really well to RC and thumb skills/coordination. Of course, they'll never build their own plane as that's "work" :)
Yeah they definitely have great dexterity! But then everything comes at a cost! All that time sitting before a screen has stunted their people skills. Reading people and anticipating their reactions was a hard learned part of my childhood. Something you can't get from a computer screen!

My sons used to invite me to play "Call of Duty" with them and laughed at how easy I was to find and kill. So I bought my own machine learned the maps and got some stick time in. Now my sons refuse to play because I can shoot as good as them but I seem to know their movement patterns and can find and kill them before they even know I am coming! Military service has its benefits even with computer games!

The only time when being old is a serious issue is when you die! Even with flying I can fly rings around my son and have actually taken to teaching him advanced flying techniques and maneuvers! Heck I even have to build/repair his planes for him!

The most IMPORTANT thing you need to remember about being young is one day you will be old - IF YOU MAKE IT!

Have fun!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Lol, I liked the freeze dried pork patty, but you HAD to eat it dry!
But I agree chicken al king was the worst, but didn’t it come with the FD peaches? :love:

Ah, the memories....

Ah yes, the freeze dried fruit cocktail was a good item... i remember drinking that syrup after reconstituting it... even in the snowy mountains in the cold of Winter in Germany! Definitely the only way to eat the pork pattie was without reconstituting it, and it worked to keep you from having to dig a hole in the ground for a few days, at least! :D

I think the worse thing about MRE's now that I recall, was going back to the barracks from the field, and hearing the sounds of tribulation coming from the latrines...