Anybody else scratch building tonight?

leaded50

Legendary member
made a couple under wing bombs for my warbird... 250mm long..

Attachments

• DSC_0131.JPG
    DSC_0131.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 0

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Working off the Sidewinder plans, with a couple small adjustments to the dimensions and build style the fuse is coming together nicely...
20200407_194730.jpg 20200407_200027.jpg
20200407_200107.jpg 20200407_200117.jpg
The wing gets notched out in the bottom two layers deep to receive the tabs on the fuse, and hole cut for aileron servo. Fits together like a glove...
20200407_200136.jpg

20200407_195912.jpg

The skewer Spar there was an after thought. I should have done that on the inside before i laminated the layers together. I thought it would be ok without it being a short wingspan, but a little pressure testing on the bench and it warrants some kind of reinforcement. So there was a little late in the game surgery.

The firewall will be glued and taped directly to the front of the nose, there is no hood around the motor top or sides, just wide open, so this shortened the nose of the fuse by an inch or so, but overall length stays the same. The bottom will be wide open as well for easy access to everything. I haven't decided if I am going to do a push to positive or pull to positive on the elevator servo placement yet. That's a bit of a head scratcher for now.

K3V0

Elite member
6AC43649-7498-4D60-8EAA-AD7B4D2ED7F8.jpeg
Whew! I’m still trapped at my in-laws in Milwaukie, Or. I went kinda crazy for a while and actually started to do some RC rock crawling.
6A9DE168-92D6-4393-AFF0-3F55D9E33215.jpeg
But last week, I ordered a case of FTFB and started on a Mini Guinea!
47499BAE-760A-4B17-BA90-1D312E4DB8E3.jpeg

As you can see I’m sharing the build space but at least there’s currently peace at the table. I didn’t get any poster board for the plans so I’m using beer/ and cheezit cartons.
Be well, everyone!

OliverW

Legendary member
View attachment 165575 Whew! I’m still trapped at my in-laws in Milwaukie, Or. I went kinda crazy for a while and actually started to do some RC rock crawling. View attachment 165572 But last week, I ordered a case of FTFB and started on a Mini Guinea! View attachment 165573
As you can see I’m sharing the build space but at least there’s currently peace at the table. I didn’t get any poster board for the plans so I’m using beer/ and cheezit cartons.
Be well, everyone!
Maybe you could make a trip down to Carl Henson Field before you leave!

Figure9

Elite member
When you have lemons:

To bail out the Cub (When I go back to build that Cub it will be called War Baby) I was having trouble with I decided to build a wing I have experience with, this is my 3d long wing for a motor glider type. Low power requirements, easy handling, high lift, slow flyer.
This 48” wingspan on this high lift profile wing is folded by removing a .250” strip of the paper along the inside leading edge fold line. No leading edge bevel, no leading edge glue, nothing fancy. The spar is a double thickness .75” X 30” flat foam with a .065” X .5” X 24” balsa doubler in the center between the spar & the lower wing surface for strength & flexibility at the center section where the halves are joined. There is no spar from the ailerons out to the wing tips, the fold provides the needed strength & allows flexibility for maneuvers or high Gs.
Will it flap under high G loads, sure. That’s not unusual for glider style wings. Will it collapse under high G loads, not likely. With the balsa in the center section.
I power these motor gliders with a B motor. That’s about right for training & slow flight. The wings like this one that I’ve flown before like to roll & loop, I haven’t tried to spin or snap-roll one yet due to my entry level flying skill. The last one I built & put on a Simple Stick fuselage had a symmetrical cross section but current isolation rules, social distancing & closed outdoor facilities, including at our club field, have stopped me from seeing if it will fly well inverted.
The fuselage will be approximately 25” inches long, I haven’t designed tail feathers yet & I might extend them beyond the fuselage somewhat. All I did was cut away the parts of the Cub fuselage that I was having trouble with & flipped the fuselage design over upside down. The wing will be mounted as a high wing on the flat surface that would have been the belly of the Cub.
Figured I’d make Lemonade.

Last edited:

Figure9

Elite member
I finished the Lemonade build. The Cub wing was a total loss & I didn’t want to go back down to Staples to print up another set of plans just to start over. I decided to convert the build into something I have more experience with & also an airplane that flies at the level of skill I have as an RC flying newbie.

Lemonade is a 48” wingspan motor glider with only elevator & ailerons for flight controls. The B motor is plenty for me at this time. The Cub’s fuselage is reduced to a teardrop & flipped over upside down. Balance came out almost perfect. Can’t wait to fly my two motor gliders when the quarantine & social distancing ends & the state opens our parks where my club field is located.

slowjo

Master member
I started a new build, I recently moved and have not been able to find any of my batteries for two months, first in storage then trying to find where they were misplaced, now that I've found them I thought I'd start with a relaxing slow flyer, I'm building a modified speedster, but should be bright enough for me to see : )

Attachments

• speedster 2.JPG
    speedster 2.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 0
  • speedster.JPG
    speedster.JPG
    105.9 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I started a new build, I recently moved and have not been able to find any of my batteries for two months, first in storage then trying to find where they were misplaced, now that I've found them I thought I'd start with a relaxing slow flyer, I'm building a modified speedster, but should be bright enough for me to see : )
The speedster is an awesome plane!!