Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Wildthing

Legendary member
View attachment 164354
I’m starting over with another modded Simple Stick. I’ll call it The Phoenix. I like the reduced size fuselage, about minus 25%. 1st one flew really nice for the short duration I kept it airborne. Of the models I’ve built that my club members buddy boxed for me, they commented on how well they flew, how easily they’d roll & loop & how they flew straight & level on the maiden launch needing almost no trimming. I’m quite proud of that. Except for my first Bloody Baron that rolled viscously & the buddy box guy said was suitable only for experts, needed an assistant to trim the roll out of it. Then I realized that I had left it on high rate but told him it was low rate. o_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: On low rate it was trimmed & stable but still a bit too much for me. Buddy box guy brought it down in one piece & I still have it to fly again.
Thereafter, I’ve been building slow flying motor glider styles & this one will be like that too. I‘ll build a long tapered wing & also a cardboard shipping box to transport the plane in the bed of my Ranger. Other than that, nothing fancy. I want to take my time building it & get it in the air on a calm early morning.

If you find the rates to much even if it is on the low rates , make the low rates your high rates and do some new lower low rates.

ScottSteward

Yessir! FT Simple Cub. 😎

Attachments

• 20200403_102028.jpg
    20200403_102028.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200403_184239.jpg
    20200403_184239.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200403_184205.jpg
    20200403_184205.jpg
    947.7 KB · Views: 0

Figure9

Elite member
If you find the rates to much even if it is on the low rates , make the low rates your high rates and do some new lower low rates.

That is what I did because there was no reason to maintain setting that tested even the best flyers in the club. Dialed it way down to where I could handle the low rate & eventually work my way up to a lower high rate.

Last edited:

Figure9

Elite member
Just a wild idea I got to fair the fuselage into the wing’s airfoil shape top surface. We’ll see how it works out & if it burns the motor. Still plenty of air gap & the motor cooling inlets are in clear air.
8F75FBBE-8DD0-445D-9B28-0E04007097BF.jpeg
0D080432-E521-4E77-9EC8-39F3FB13FFD1.jpeg

Still keeping it simple with design. Monocoat tape is so-so in my opinion, but I have plenty of it & will keep working with it.

Figure9

Elite member
The wing plan is drawn out, top & bottom profile laid out & cut. Getting ready to tape & glue the center section, install the balsa stiffner & the single layer foam spar. Check the white-out where I started to draw the profile backwards for the taper cut. I used the Simple Stick wing as the basis for my modification. The fold will be Ed’s Noob Toob Armin wing technique, removing the paper from the inside side of the upper section & rolling it a bit.
9B539519-0C16-4649-B8E0-EFA119D37B35.jpeg

Figure9

Elite member
That’s enough for today. Waiting for servos to arrive.
46E723CA-92AA-4EBF-A4CC-E365B87BA0FD.jpeg

7AD13393-97CA-413B-B16C-3B79C83A1FC5.jpeg

The wing is eliptical 48” span. Narrowed fuselage & wing root arc into the upper airfoil surface profile for reduced drag. ‘B’ motor should provide plenty of power. Loops & rolls should be easy, inverted flight OK for those than can do it. :unsure: Tail structure is stronger than my destroyed Slow Ride modified Simple Soarer so the tapered wing tips might even let it snap roll. What’s most important is that I hope it will be an easy, straight & level flyer.