Anybody else scratch building tonight?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Sitting at about 59g at the current build status.

1626978578853.png

quorneng

Master member
The Sea Hawk nose section added.
Canopy1.JPG

The canopy and part of the top skin act as the battery hatch and to give access to get everything in
Canopy2.JPG

A simple two colour scheme. Dark Sea Grey upper, Sky below.
07May21a.JPG

07May21b.JPG

The ESC is mounted into the cockpit wall with is cooling fins just ahead of the RH inlet.
ESC40A.JPG

The battery box for the 1800 mAh 3s is slightly offset to the left to counter the weight of the ESC.
LemonRx.JPG

Despite the inefficiencies of the ducting it actually flies quite well. Gentle and predictable not unlike the full size.
With clean aerodynamics and a very low wing loading it glides like .... a glider!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The Sea Hawk nose section added.
View attachment 204126
The canopy and part of the top skin act as the battery hatch and to give access to get everything in View attachment 204127
A simple two colour scheme. Dark Sea Grey upper, Sky below.
View attachment 204129

View attachment 204130
The ESC is mounted into the cockpit wall with is cooling fins just ahead of the RH inlet.
View attachment 204131
The battery box for the 1800 mAh 3s is slightly offset to the left to counter the weight of the ESC.
View attachment 204132
Despite the inefficiencies of the ducting it actually flies quite well. Gentle and predictable not unlike the full size.
With clean aerodynamics and a very low wing loading it glides like .... a glider!
That looks like it flies really nice!

Brian B

Elite member
This is my "cooldown build" before I start cutting out parts for another big project. My prediction is 110mph on 4s, 120 with an irresponsible prop. View attachment 204066 View attachment 204067 View attachment 204068 View attachment 204069
Every LE and TE is tapered for minimum drag, including the little bit of foam which sicks out next to the firewall (even the hatch tape is shorter than normal) and I didn't do the scale paint job for orientation's sake.

Ooooo, nice. Foamboard? You made the plans yourself or are they an availability download?

quorneng

Master member
I think you mean SR 71.
Its figures are not that high.
The B52 has a wing loading of 120 lbs/sq ft and a thrust to weight of 0.31
The AN225 has a wing loading of 136 lbs/sq ft and a thrust to weight of only 0.23!

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I think you mean SR 71.
Its figures are not that high.
The B52 has a wing loading of 120 lbs/sq ft and a thrust to weight of 0.31
The AN225 has a wing loading of 136 lbs/sq ft and a thrust to weight of only 0.23!
Oh wow, I never looked at those. I was more meaning how it was able to achieve those speeds with that power.

quorneng

Master member
Oh wow, I never looked at those. I was more meaning how it was able to achieve those speeds with that power.

The aerodynamics of supersonic flight are complex indeed.
Remember Concorde had the fuel to cross the Atlantic at Mach 0.85 or Mach 2 but not at any speed in between as the combination of drag and engine performance was too inefficient. Concorde had a take off thrust to weight of only 0.33

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
The aerodynamics of supersonic flight are complex indeed.
Remember Concorde had the fuel to cross the Atlantic at Mach 0.85 or Mach 2 but not at any speed in between as the combination of drag and engine performance was too inefficient. Concorde had a take off thrust to weight of only 0.33
Yeah, the aerodynamics side of this is what I usually try to stay out of. It’s too complex for what I do. If it flies, it flies is usually what I use. Exept on my ultralight designs.