Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Brian B

Elite member
Winding down the B-58 project (flies sweet), I think I've settled on my next build. Martin B-10. 56" wingspan with 9" props, and the below-pictured Interwar paint scheme to match my Army Stearman. A bit odd looking now, but in '32 it was groundbreaking. Considered the first "modern bomber", it featured all metal construction, internal bomb bay, retracts, powered gun turrent up front, enclosed cockpit and gunner stations, and at 238mph it was faster than just about any contemporary fighter. I got a big WarBird event coming up at our field March 11, so I'll try and surprise all the Foam, Balsa, and ARF flyers with what can be done with DTFB! Drawing up plans now. Wish me luck.
13484f397f43442a3f1625e2b85e72ad.jpg

I like soldering. I just don't like doing Y harnesses.
Yeah I guess you're right. Now I need a Y-harness for this Widgeon and I have a vague recollection of what a bother it was to make the last one. I'm thinking I might be able to find one I can salvage around here somewhere...

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Yeah I guess you're right. Now I need a Y-harness for this Widgeon and I have a vague recollection of what a bother it was to make the last one. I'm thinking I might be able to find one I can salvage around here somewhere...
Just buy some... They're dirt cheap and save a lot of time

SSgt Duramax

But the more you do it the faster you get. I don't like buying everything if I know I can just do it myself.
Ive been thinking of just buying that gauge of wire and doing it myself. It would really save if I build a 4 engine plane and hook all the ESCs up to one plug.

Last edited:
Yeah, trying to remember... I think it was the simple issue of soldering two wires to one pin on an XT30. Something like that. Just cumbersome is all.

SSgt Duramax

Yeah, trying to remember... I think it was the simple issue of soldering two wires to one pin on an XT30. Something like that. Just cumbersome is all.
Use about a half an inch of larger gauge wire and join them before. My electrical experience is about 70% automotive, 20% household, and about 10% RC. I've made junctions like that for fuel injectors and sound systems too. Your junction doesn't have to be right at the connector.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
Use about a half an inch of larger gauge wire and join them before. My electrical experience is about 70% automotive, 20% household, and about 10% RC. I've made junctions like that for fuel injectors and sound systems too. Your junction doesn't have to be right at the connector.
Ditto, I work on manufacturing machinery & controls where all the connections are in tight spots so anything that makes connections easier is a good thing. Don't forget the heat shrink tubing.

chris398mx

Master member
Winding down the B-58 project (flies sweet), I think I've settled on my next build. Martin B-10. 56" wingspan with 9" props, and the below-pictured Interwar paint scheme to match my Army Stearman. A bit odd looking now, but in '32 it was groundbreaking. Considered the first "modern bomber", it featured all metal construction, internal bomb bay, retracts, powered gun turrent up front, enclosed cockpit and gunner stations, and at 238mph it was faster than just about any contemporary fighter. I got a big WarBird event coming up at our field March 11, so I'll try and surprise all the Foam, Balsa, and ARF flyers with what can be done with DTFB! Drawing up plans now. Wish me luck.
View attachment 216235

Here is the one I built. I think I have some plans I built from if you want them as reference or a starting point.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...se-scratch-building-tonight.60613/post-566628

I'm drawing up something.
Screenshot 2022-01-21 114559.png

It's reminiscent of a P-40 but that was an accident. Also has a form like a Golden Age racer. That was intentional. Loads of wing, like the FT Scout. I measured - the Scout has so much wing it's like a kite.

It reminds me of a lot of things but it's an original development. For example: at a specific wingspan and surface area I drew half a dozen wings, and this is the one I chose just because it looks aggressive & cool. It uses all the techniques we've seen before in FT planes, but I drew it up fresh, not from any particular plane. I guess I was after something that flies like a FT Scout, but better looking like a racing plane, and something unique because I won't be happy unless I design it myself. :)

Taildragger

Legendary member
I'm drawing up something.
View attachment 216246

It's reminiscent of a P-40 but that was an accident. Also has a form like a Golden Age racer. That was intentional. Loads of wing, like the FT Scout. I measured - the Scout has so much wing it's like a kite.

It reminds me of a lot of things but it's an original development. For example: at a specific wingspan and surface area I drew half a dozen wings, and this is the one I chose just because it looks aggressive & cool. It uses all the techniques we've seen before in FT planes, but I drew it up fresh, not from any particular plane. I guess I was after something that flies like a FT Scout, but better looking like a racing plane, and something unique because I won't be happy unless I design it myself. :)
what CAD program are you using?