Anybody else scratch building tonight?

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary
Also made a nutball!
I used the alpha power pod holder on the top so I could use the tt power pod. I’m using a f pack motor with a 2s

Edit: i can’t get the picture to work. I’ll try again in a bit.
DA8930F2-08EE-44B4-BFFE-2FBBF4C2E688.jpeg

It finally worked

Last edited:

AgentC

Elite member
Version 1.3 of my Timber Scout coming along quite nicely, I think.
IMG_20220519_235857.jpg IMG_20220519_235902.jpg

Funny thing is, I've destroyed and needed to rebuild this plane three times now, whereas the Prototype in the background is still alive and kicking after just as much (if not more) abuse...

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Its master series plans scaled down to 750mm very minor adjustments made for material thickness. 2x 1207 5000kv motors. Which is overkill to be honest. Could easily be half the kv
what material are you using, like what thickness of foam? wouldnt dtfb be too heavy for such a build?

Jade_Monkey07

what material are you using, like what thickness of foam? wouldnt dtfb be too heavy for such a build?
Its regular Adam's dtfb the plans call for removal of half the paper for forming.about a sheet and a half. So it ends up at 250g flight weight. If I were to do it again I would change how the tail is doubled and add a spar to a single sheet instead. I would shrink the airfoils height a bit. Its much too tall and has "too much lift" an airfoil that is more streamlined. I would also use gorilla glue on as much as I could(weight isnt an issue but less weight is always a good thing). I did add a leading edge bbq spar to the wing. landing in tall brush like I often do eats up the wing after a while. It feels chunky in the hand but it cruises at 1/3 throttle so weight isnt a problem.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

just need to come up with 3 modes and I think this will be ready to go.

Last edited:

luvmy40

Elite member
Flerken Black Scratch.jpg

Cut and built the Flerken today with Black on White Adams Readi Board. I'm glad I went this route instead of build the SBK I bought.

I found this to be a challenging build. Some, no doubt due to my level of experience, but I believe the the fact that the black on white foam board is measurably thinner than the white on white Readi Board. This lead to fitment and alignment issues at every turn. It is also much more difficult to peel the paper off or strip the foam out of the channels, and then, the paper curls and crinkles instantly.

I also have to say that just because Josh Bixler makes it look easy, does not mean it IS easy!

Attaching the wings was by far the most challenging part of the build. Even more so than trimming the nose and other fuse pieces to fit.

All in all, I think it turned out OK. Not clean and beautiful(hot glue and packing tape by the pound!), but OK.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
View attachment 226125

Cut and built the Flerken today with Black on White Adams Readi Board. I'm glad I went this route instead of build the SBK I bought.

I found this to be a challenging build. Some, no doubt due to my level of experience, but I believe the the fact that the black on white foam board is measurably thinner than the white on white Readi Board. This lead to fitment and alignment issues at every turn. It is also much more difficult to peel the paper off or strip the foam out of the channels, and then, the paper curls and crinkles instantly.

I also have to say that just because Josh Bixler makes it look easy, does not mean it IS easy!

Attaching the wings was by far the most challenging part of the build. Even more so than trimming the nose and other fuse pieces to fit.

All in all, I think it turned out OK. Not clean and beautiful(hot glue and packing tape by the pound!), but OK.
That is beautiful!!

luvmy40

Elite member
I put a Mini Speedster together tonight after seeing a couple posts about it. I have to dig through my stuff to see if I have a small enough motor and/or ESC for it.

This is my first attempt at working with poster board turtle decks. I have to say, I am not a fan. Either my poster board is much thicker than what Mr. Bixler used in the build video, or I am just terribly inept with it.
Mini Speedster.jpg

Brian B

Elite member
Anyone ever seen a flying model "Phantom Cruiser" from Space Ghost? It could be cool with EDF tucked underneath with split intakes, 1/2 from below, and other intake hidden in the back edge of the logo up top. Surprised to not find any RC versions on the web. Think it would work?

e0c2dec1ec7a72cd3e97b490c04679be--vintage-robots-space-ghost.jpg