Anyone having trouble with the ft alpha

TopGun2105

Hi my plane has been giving me a little trouble I have been flying the ft alpha and the motor seems to be getting super hot so hot that I couldn’t stick my finger on it and I’m convinced that it puffed up my battery by a tiny bit and I is also pretty warm and I only have a 2-3 minute flight and they are still fairly new I’m running a 850mah 30c 3s lipo with a 2204-2300kv motor and a 5045L three blade propeller the plane is also a little under powered I’ve checked the propeller orientation with the numbers facing the direction that the plane is going

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Hi my plane has been giving me a little trouble I have been flying the ft alpha and the motor seems to be getting super hot so hot that I couldn’t stick my finger on it and I’m convinced that it puffed up my battery by a tiny bit and I is also pretty warm and I only have a 2-3 minute flight and they are still fairly new I’m running a 850mah 30c 3s lipo with a 2204-2300kv motor and a 5045L three blade propeller the plane is also a little under powered I’ve checked the propeller orientation with the numbers facing the direction that the plane is going
I built 2 of those and kind of had the same issues. I also found it to be underpowered but in the end I figured that I was overweight and that was causing the issues. I tried the Mini FT-22 after that with the same motor and battery and it was much better, and a much simpler build.

TopGun2105

I built 2 of those and kind of had the same issues. I also found it to be underpowered but in the end I figured that I was overweight and that was causing the issues. I tried the Mini FT-22 after that with the same motor and battery and it was much better, and a much simpler build.

TopGun2105

Did the planes controls also feel slow because I flew with the recommended throws and I was pooping my self I couldn’t control the plane so I gave it around 45 degrees and even then it took me about one second just to do a roll

TopGun2105

TopGun2105

Did the planes controls also feel slow because I flew with the recommended throws and I was pooping my self I couldn’t control the plane so I gave it around 45 degrees and even then it took me about one second just to do a roll

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
yep, as much as I wanted I just couldn't get that plane to go right

Gray Harlequin

I have both the charlie and bravo wings flown on an alpha fuselage. I haven't had the motor heating issues, but they do feel a bit underpowered (possibly the prop). I will agree totally with the lack of control authority. I have my elevons at max travel to get decent control. I will say that the much narrower bravo wing rolls much faster due to the shorter wingspan. One thing that I noticed was that it was nearly impossible to fly inverted. After running the dimensions through a CG calculator, the CG that FT recommends seems to be too far forward. I moved it back to just in front of the servos and it flies better.

TopGun2105

I have both the charlie and bravo wings flown on an alpha fuselage. I haven't had the motor heating issues, but they do feel a bit underpowered (possibly the prop). I will agree totally with the lack of control authority. I have my elevons at max travel to get decent control. I will say that the much narrower bravo wing rolls much faster due to the shorter wingspan. One thing that I noticed was that it was nearly impossible to fly inverted. After running the dimensions through a CG calculator, the CG that FT recommends seems to be too far forward. I moved it back to just in front of the servos and it flies better.
I’ll try that thanks

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Your prop is too big. You should try a 6030 2 bladed prop. That should sort out all your issues

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Your prop is too big. You should try a 6030 2 bladed prop. That should sort out all your issues
So you are telling him his prop is too big and you want him to use a bigger prop? Sounds like sound advice :unsure::unsure: not. Ran both of mine on 6x4 props. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
So you are telling him his prop is too big and you want him to use a bigger prop? Sounds like sound advice :unsure::unsure: not. Ran both of mine on 6x4 props. Any other suggestions?
i think he meant that the pitch of the prop and the blades are too much for the motor.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
so he's running a 5045 tri blade prop (equivalent to about a 6545 2 bladed prop).... im suggesting he goes to a 6030 2 bladed prop...

will.fred.tx

I beefed up the power on mine & it screams! No problems and getting 86 mph calculated speed in level flight at full power.

FT Radial 2205 2300kV motor

50 amp ESC

850 mA 4s 100C lipo.

6x4.5 e prop (2 blade)

Added a little weight to tail to balance out the 4S pack.

I would not recommend and higher propeller pitch or a 3 blade prop as I feel this setup is at the max of the envelope without burning up the motor.

I'll paste the YouTube link for the Maiden flight below.

Attachments

• 20230401_112117.jpg
    20230401_112117.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 0
  • VideoCapture_20230401-115415.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230401-115415.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 0
  • VideoCapture_20230401-115327.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230401-115327.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 0
  • VideoCapture_20230401-140652.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230401-140652.jpg