Anyone Know Where I Would be Allowed to Fly?

bmc341999

I am a newbie in flying planes. I don't own one yet because I don't know where I would be able to fly it if I got one but I really want to fly one. Where are you allowed to fly RC planes?

earthsciteach

Cool. I think the best two options are to fly on private property with permission or at an RC club. I don't belong to any club. I fly mostly in a small field behind my house or at schools in the district where I teach. You can also fly in public parks, unless rules prevent that. The biggest thing is to use your common sense and don't endanger anyone with your plane.

bmc341999

Ok , thank you

So if I fly it at a park, it's ok as long as it doesn't say I can't or does it have to say I can?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Yes, it would apply to any type of model aircraft. The main thing is when you are just learning, is to get as much wide open area as you can find. Preferably with no people anywhere near you. While you are learning, loss of control at some point is almost a given and if anyone is around, Mr. Murphy will make sure you hit them. Not a good thing if you like to fly and want to keep doing it. Just use your head and try to fly where you have nothing to worry about running into. You will be nervous enough without extra stuff adding onto that.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Parks should be fine. Only fly when no one is there. Especially since you are just starting out.

And make sure you have more room than what is recommended for the plane you are flying.

The bad thing about parks is you're probably going to have people come up to you and talk to you while you're trying to fly. You may even get sarcastic cheers when you crash. So, its not only for the safety of others, but for your own benefit to only fly when no one is there. Until you get good enough that you know you're not going to crash into anyone and you're fine with an audience.

rcspaceflight

The FT Flyer can be good, or the FT Old Fogey. But something smaller like the Hobby Zone Champ would probably be better. It depends on how big of an area you can find.

Indoor or micro type of planes can be good. They're more sensitive to wind, but can stay in a much smaller area. But maybe you'd be able to find an indoor flying area close by. That may be a better option with the horrible winter we've been having.

rcspaceflight

How hard is it to build a plane from scratch?

I wouldn't say it's hard. It can take a while and you're probably not going to build the plane quite right the first time you build one. It's going to take practice to get good at building, but is worth doing for the added aspect of the hobby and the money savings. The hardest part is getting good at using an exacto knife (or razor blade). And learning to NOT burn yourself with hot glue.

It can be worth learning how to scratch build, but it's not for everyone. But you become much more confident in being able to fix a plane if you built it.

rcspaceflight

Watch a few of Flite Test's episodes on how to build a plane and see if it's something you'd want to do. Probably watch the FT Old Fogey, FT Flyer, and maybe watch one of the long, complicated builds like the Spitfire. If you're willing to spend the time to watch them.