Aura 5 lite with Radiomaster TX16S

MattS1967

Has anyone had problems trying to get a flying wing to program right using an aura 5 lite board and a radiomaster tx16s transmitter with a spectrum satellite receiver? I created a flying wing model with elevons following the steps to create one. But when I bind the radio to the receiver, I can't seem to get both ailerons to work as elevators. When I pull down and push up, it still acts like ailerons and not elevator. I have tried going into elevon mode on the aura 5 and when I go to elevon mode, only one aileron will move when I try to go side to side, and only one moves when I try to go up and down. Any solutions or suggestions?

Thanks

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Has anyone had problems trying to get a flying wing to program right using an aura 5 lite board and a radiomaster tx16s transmitter with a spectrum satellite receiver? I created a flying wing model with elevons following the steps to create one. But when I bind the radio to the receiver, I can't seem to get both ailerons to work as elevators. When I pull down and push up, it still acts like ailerons and not elevator. I have tried going into elevon mode on the aura 5 and when I go to elevon mode, only one aileron will move when I try to go side to side, and only one moves when I try to go up and down. Any solutions or suggestions?

Thanks
normally with a stablizer like that, you setup the TX in 4 channel mode and do the flying wing mix/setup in the stablizer. So your radio should be sending throttle, pitch, roll, not elevon mix.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
....Any solutions or suggestions....
The Tx need to be setup as a standard plane, aileron and elevator. Do the elevon mixing on the Aura.

Try reversing the aileron, reversing the elevator and switching which servo is in which channel. There is one combination of reversing and switching that will work. There is no instructions as the correct combination. It will depend on which direction you installed the servos. Keep trying different combinations until it works.

Last edited:

MattS1967

The Tx need to be setup as a standard plane, aileron and elevator. Do the elevon mixing on the Aura.

Try reversing the aileron, reversing the elevator and switching which servo is in which channel. There is one combination of reversing and switching that will work. There is no instructions as the correct combination. It will depend on which direction you installed the servos. Keep trying different combinations until it works.

Thanks Jason and Merv, I'll give that a shot.

MattS1967

Ok, have tried swapping servo wires, have tried switching directions on the controller and still no luck getting this plane set up correctly. Ok, I tried setting up an elevon plane in my transmitter, and used a regular spektrum receiver, and I swapped the aileron plugs and it works fine. I tried it with the aura and still didn't work right. So I am thinking that either the aura and the radiomaster have a conflict between the two. Going to try and fiddle around a little more with it to see if I can get the two to work together.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...when I go to elevon mode, only one aileron will move when I try to go side to side, and only one moves...
Reread the original post.
If only one side is responds to aileron and the other side responds to elevator. The Aura is NOT in elevon mode.

If you are tired of struggling with it. You can always setup elevons the old school way, using a Vtail mixer like this one. The way we did it this way prior to the modern Tx.
99D92830-4898-45F7-8C76-4E37D8D2304B.jpeg

Last edited:

dap35

Elite member
Ok, have tried swapping servo wires, have tried switching directions on the controller and still no luck getting this plane set up correctly. Ok, I tried setting up an elevon plane in my transmitter, and used a regular spektrum receiver, and I swapped the aileron plugs and it works fine. I tried it with the aura and still didn't work right. So I am thinking that either the aura and the radiomaster have a conflict between the two. Going to try and fiddle around a little more with it to see if I can get the two to work together.
Set your TX model with 2 ailerons, 1 rudder, 1 elevator - NO MIXES on the TX. While you can configure the Aura 5 with out your PC, I find it easier to install the aura config utility and connect your PC to the Aura via the USB cable. Then go through the wizard to set the the model config on the Aura as a wing with 2 elevons and a throttle.

MattS1967

Ok, so I got them working right now. Now I just need to get the different stabilization modes to work right. In the 6 axis mode, when I shift the plan from side to side, the ailerons move in the wrong direction to level it, but the aileron travel in the right directions with the sticks. And the front and back pitch moves the ailerons in the right direction to level it out from front to back. So there must be something I need to watch more in the vids to correct this issue..

dap35

Elite member
Double check the how the orientation of the aura board is configured in the tool. I think by default, the satellite connection points to the front of the plane, and the pins point up. But you can change the settings in the config tool to match your installation.

dap35

Elite member
Hmmm... I would go into the config tool and double check how the board orientation is set. I have set mine incorrectly before.
I assume you have the left elevon in port S1 and right elevon in port S2. The only other thing I can think of is the wing type. There is an elevon type A and type B. Type A has the servos on the top surface, type B is on the bottom.

dap35

Elite member
I looked at some old emails I had from support at FlexInnovations - I had a similar problem with my first install. Apparently, I had reversed the rudder channel in my TX, and while I did get normal operations, stabilization went the wrong way for the rudder.

MattS1967

Thanks Dap, I will try that tonight. I have it set on Elevon A, not B. Hoping that fixes the problem. If it does, then I know which setting to set up my EDF Jet wing as well, since the servos are on the bottom of that one as well.

L Edge

Master member
Reread the original post.
If only one side is responds to aileron and the other side responds to elevator. The Aura is NOT in elevon mode.

If you are tired of struggling with it. You can always setup elevons the old school way, using a Vtail mixer like this one. The way we did it this way prior to the modern Tx.
View attachment 211977

Did you know that the V-Tail mixer is an excellent way (no programming needed) to produce thrust vectoring using the throttle and rudder ports only. Concept is:

Since elevator deflection are the same direction , that is your constant, so that controls your fixed RPM's and allows syncing the motors together for flight. Rx--throttle
Since ailerons are deflections are opposite direction, that is where the RPM's of one motor increase and the other decreases.
Hence, you have a thrust vectoring system or yaw for the turns.
Order is Rx, v tail mixer, to the ESC's.
Works excellent with EDF's.

Additional Advantages.
1) Motor trim tabs adjustment gets both motors to start together.
2) Rudder trim tab allows you to sync the motors in the air to give you that sound.

If you try it and need help, just give me a shout.

Here is a setup showing how responsive it is in the winds and crosswinds.

MattS1967

I looked at some old emails I had from support at FlexInnovations - I had a similar problem with my first install. Apparently, I had reversed the rudder channel in my TX, and while I did get normal operations, stabilization went the wrong way for the rudder.

Ok, set it up for elevon b and still the same issue. The stabilization is still backwards for the side to side, but the travels on all surfaces are going in the right directions. I am just to have to turn it off and fly normally until I can get a new radio and try setting it up on a spektrum. It will fly for now, I just won't have any stabilization on the plane.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Could you explain how it applied for flaperons?
A V-tail takes 2 inputs & 2 outputs. One input, the flap channel, will output the same signal to both outputs. The other input, the aileron channel, outputs the the opposite signal to each output. One side goes up & the other side down.

This is exactly what you want for V-tail, elevons and flaperons. One channel doing the same thing to each output and the other doing the opposite thing to each output.

L Edge

Master member
A V-tail takes 2 inputs & 2 outputs. One input, the flap channel, will output the same signal to both outputs. The other input, the aileron channel, outputs the the opposite signal to each output. One side goes up & the other side down.

This is exactly what you want for V-tail, elevons and flaperons. One channel doing the same thing to each output and the other doing the opposite thing to each output.

To me the V-tail is combining the rudder and elevator, offset it and each segment is known as a ruddervator. We used V-tails for pylon racing to reduce some drag of the typical rudder and elevator. Flaperons are something different.