Aura 5 Price; Wow !

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I was caught off guard when I went to the FT store to do some window shopping and wanted to see about an Aura 5. Wow ! $59.95 now. I remember when the Aura 5 was $49.95 in the year of 2021. That's a $10 jump. If you buy an Aura 5 ($59.95) and a Lemon satellite Rx ($16.99) you will have a total of $76.94. That's when you ask the question to yourself, is it worth the cost ? Doesn't Horizon Hobby have a system for some of their planes that have Safe and AS3X ?

Do you you have opinions ?

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Hi Everyone,

I was caught off guard when I went to the FT store to do some window shopping and wanted to see about an Aura 5. Wow ! $59.95 now. I remember when the Aura 5 was $49.95 in the year of 2021. That's a $10 jump. If you buy an Aura 5 ($59.95) and a Lemon satellite Rx ($16.99) you will have a total of $76.94. That's when you ask the question to yourself, is it worth the cost ? Doesn't Horizon Hobby have a system for some of their planes that have Safe and AS3X ?

electronics prices have been going up crazy lately.

my father got called from the dealership he purchased his new truck from and was offered more then he paid for it not to long ago.

If that worries you, I don't recommend checking prices at the gas station right now.
ugg... gas that was ~3.30 is now over $4 in the last week or two.

bisco

Elite member
Hi Everyone,

i got the aura and lemon last year for $60 ish. i would take a look at spektrum but they likely have gone up as well, and they were high to start with.
they do not have a simple plug and play like aura, but there are others

alan0043

Here is a price on a Spektrum AR636 6 channel AS3X $79.99. Found this today (03/08/22). $3.05 more then the Aura 5 set-up. :)

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Hi Everyone,

I am going to try out the lemon RX receiver and auto-level stabilizer, with gyro mode (basically same as aura but cheaper (40 dollars) if you are unhappy about prices, try that out. it is also 7 channel

SSgt Duramax

If you want a cheap gyro just to smooth things out (doesnt have auto level and auto launch though) those nx3 gyros work well enough for 15 bucks. I havent been able to get them working on my wing though. I use them on my smaller models.

When you are talking 60-70 bucks that is decent flight controller money. Then you get GPS, fence mode, and RTH, and an OSD if you want to fly FPV

Like I kind of want to buy an aura and support FT, but for $10-20 more I can have a gps, osd abilities and a flight controller that literally everyone outside of this community uses and is well supported.

Wes B.

Site Moderator
Staff member
Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately due to the price of the components going up we had to bump up the price. Hoping that as supplies get a bit easier to source the price can come back down. It stinks but sadly its the way for most flight controllers in the fixed wing and multirotor space right now.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Hi Everyone,

As others have mentioned, average year over year inflation on the national level was approaching 5% - before the huge spike in energy inflation hit at the end of 2021. Now it’s even higher. If you want to buy something and you can afford it, buy it now. It’s only going to get more expensive. Everything is going up. Having lived through the “stagflation” of the late 1970s, I’ve seen this movie before…

ColoFlyer

Does it have SAFE? cause the aura has something similar.

I started using the Spektrum AR630 receivers lately $79 on Amazon. They work great with my Spektrum transmitter, and have all the Safe and AS3X functions that work just like on my faithful Apprentice, plus I can just flip a switch and turn off the Safe when I want to. There are quite a few videos on Youtube on Forward Programming these receiver, including ones put out by Spektrum.
But make sure you check to make sure you have one of the newer transmitters at least Gen2 and that your transmitter is compatible with the forward programming function.

Spektrum AR630 Receiver on Amazon

SSgt Duramax

As others have mentioned, average year over year inflation on the national level was approaching 5% - before the huge spike in energy inflation hit at the end of 2021. Now it’s even higher. If you want to buy something and you can afford it, buy it now. It’s only going to get more expensive. Everything is going up. Having lived through the “stagflation” of the late 1970s, I’ve seen this movie before…
Facts... may as well buy it up. The places most of these things are made aren't on the best terms with us, and we are at their mercy as we have little domestic production. Same situation with oil. Plus it takes oil to make things move. That costs increasingly more. However I wouldn't suggest tying a large portion of your portfolio in inexpensive Chinese made electronics. They'll be obsolete in no time.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient

Was at 7.5 over the last year as of Jan. We hit 5.0% back in May last year.

print money, block people from working, keep interest rates low -> inflation.

That late 1970 - been talking to my parents about that and intrest rates on houses being over 13% and other stuff didn't sound great. Only difference then is that less people were deep in debt then then now (what ever happened to teaching kids to live in their means and that keeping up with the Jones isn't how to live a life).

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Was at 7.5 over the last year as of Jan. We hit 5.0% back in May last year.

print money, block people from working, keep interest rates low -> inflation.

That late 1970 - been talking to my parents about that and intrest rates on houses being over 13% and other stuff didn't sound great. Only difference then is that less people were deep in debt then then now (what ever happened to teaching kids to live in their means and that keeping up with the Jones isn't how to live a life).
👍

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I noticed this on even the simplest of things. A radiomaster receiver at Buddy RC was $10 a year ago and has now doubled. Keep in mind that it is not JUST the cost of the components but also the shipping containers of the stuff too. The cost of shipping around the world has escalated and I know for a fact that there are significant delays for some companies because of the shipping issues alone.

If you are worries about a $60 stabilizer on a $4 airplane then perhaps invest in more foam and learn to fly without one. I've managed just fine for two decades. There are varying opinions of these devices from seasoned modelers but the overall consensus is that they are great for introducing folks to the hobby but too quickly become a crutch. The more quickly you realize that crashing is just as integral to the hobby as flying and building, the faster you will grow as a pilot. This is also true of over-powered aircraft. Some folks never learn to really fly an airplane, only flying the prop.

I will fully disclose that I have ONE airplane with a Flex Innovations Aura 8. It is a model that is so rare that you would be lucky to find one in your life. Great Planes Gee Bee Super Sportster. Not the little foamie, the one with the big fiberglass fuselage. I fly ALL of my models and I want it to stay around for a while. It is known to be slightly unstable at lower airspeeds which makes landings more difficult. I realize that every model has an expiration date but this model, I felt, could use a little added insurance. I paid $50 for the board at a discounted price at an event where Flex gave me the demo of it and I invested my time and energy into their product. For an airplane that is worth well north of $500, a 10% insurance policy seems like a bargain. This is the only model I have built stabilization into.