Aviation Design's Diamond 70mm EDF - Plans and Build

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
@Kevin
Do you have the sketchup files for this Diamond jet? Can i get a copy please?

Sure - let me check that its up to date and I will attach it to the Zip file that has the tiled plans at the start of this thread. Those plans work fine. I have made some tweaks since so I also need to update the plans. Should get this done over the weekend.

@ Stig
Wow! I can’t believe I missed this! Well done, and it flys great too!

Thanks! I really like(d) flying this plane although it does (did) have a tip stall tendency that you had to be aware of. The version in the build thread was the one I flew at FFW and I had been flying it every time I was at the park since then. Just put it on the short grass, give her 100% throttle and after 15-20 feet take off.

I finally convinced DamoRC Jnr to fly it a couple of weekends ago - he worries about crashing planes that I really like to fly. But I had built a new, slightly modified version and the original has taken quite a beating so it was getting to the end of its shelf life. Unfortunately he had a radio problem (post mortem confirmed that the shielding on his TX antenna had split) and it lawn darted. Initial assessment was that a little hot glue was not going to fix this...

Old Crashed.JPG

The new version was an attempt to make the build easier and hopefully get rid of the tip stall. The tip stall wasn't a huge problem, you just needed to know it was there.

This is the new build.

New Version.JPG

Ignore the tape between the EDF holder and the rear of the fuse. Once I had finished the build I wondered what the ESC and EDF would do on 6S and I can confirm that the Vktech RS Pro 70mm Ducted Fan+ B2839 3000KV that I got from ebay throws all of its magnets at 6S! So I had to cut the EDF unit out, re-glue the magnets and re-install - that's why the rear looks a little messy.

Main changes are a flat bottom, FT style airfoil (using the same planform that is in the current plans), a single layer horizontal stabilizer with a simpler elevator setup, and the fact that I did not score and bend the turtle deck pieces, I just removed the paper on the inside and rolled them. Also cut a hatch in the top which works nicely.

Single Layer Tail.JPG

Top Hatch.JPG

Good news is that there is no tip stall with this wing - you can bank and yank as hard as you want, and slow way down without dropping a wing-tip - love flying this version.

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Thanks Slingshot

Rev 3 of the plans uploaded to the second post in the thread. The zipped file included a tiled pdf, the DoubleCad file, and the Sketchup model.

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
A guy at our flying field had a 70mm EDF and so I built him a Diamond. I have not seen it fly but he had a friend of his recorded some video following him around the field. I thought this was worth sharing - there are some cool shots in there.

DamoRC

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Sky Sword?

So there I was at work checking my email as I often do and saw a new Hobby King ad and thought of this build.

177547.jpg 177722.jpg
Is it me or does this bear a remarkable resemblance to your build?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Holy cow! $430? That's insane for a sport jet EDF! You could get almost any of the super scale freewing EDfs at that price.

jaredstrees

How does that vetch rs pro 70mm hold up under 4s? I'm thinking of picking on up for a winter build, but $26 sounds too good to be true!

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
How does that vetch rs pro 70mm hold up under 4s? I'm thinking of picking on up for a winter build, but $26 sounds too good to be true!

I have had no problems with them. I got two and flew them in a Diamond, the A-4, the Reichenberg and the Ohka (obviously not all at the same time) always on 4S.

What is your winter build gonna be?

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Its ~50 inches long, ~37 inch wingspan, uses a 70mm EDF (5 blade, 3200KV) and a 2200mAh 4S. All up weight is ~32 oz.

The sketchup file is included in the plans posted at the top of the thread. So you could just scale it down from there (note the flattened parts in the Sketchup file were modified after flattening so they don't 100% match the parts in the 3D model).

Would be cool to see someone try a 50mm version of this.

DamoRC

Therry

Hello, I am building the diamond right now and want to know where the CG is located. I can't find it on the plans.

Therry

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Hello, I am building the diamond right now and want to know where the CG is located. I can't find it on the plans.

Rctherry65

Sorry Therry - keep meaning to update these plans and include the CG.

The CG is 6.5 inches forward from where the tailing edge meets the fuse.

Any pics of the build?

DamoRC