Avro CF-100 Canuck - Twin 70mm EDF

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Incredible work!

Did you do the Cockpit like a pumpkin? looks pretty, but how are you mounting it?
 

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Incredible work!

Did you do the Cockpit like a pumpkin? looks pretty, but how are you mounting it?

Thanks!

This is the canopy modeled in Sketchup.....

Canopy Close up.jpg


...and this is how it looks unfolded.

canopy unfolded.jpg

Once I had it folded, I beveled the edges and simply glued it directly onto the fuse.

DamoRC
 

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
The matched pair of ESCs arrived so I am able to get her finished off - hopefully maiden tomorrow.

Now with a pair of 60A ESCs and 2 x 2200mAh 4S batteries her AUW is confirmed at 4lb 5oz. I am going to have to do some hacking on her to add more intake area for the EDFs as the pair of them are only producing just over a 1lb of static thrust! Ain't gonna fly at that thrust to weight.

DamoRC
 

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Are you going to be hand launching it? if so...how;)

Yes - and with great difficulty I imagine.

I could try skid launching it (used to do this with the Diamond, full throttle on the ground and pull back on the stick when she seems to be moving fast enough) but this won't work if the grass at the field is long. So I think a pretty good "chuck" will be in order.

DamoRC
 

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Howdy.
How do you unfold the net of the canopy, or any other shape, in Sketchup? I've never figured out how to do this. Thanks.

I use a plugin called UnfoldTool. You can find a copy at this post.

Put the tool (UnfoldTool.rb) in your Sketchup Tools folder. When you start Sketchup the tool should be available for you to select under the Plugins menu.

To use, you select the tool and then start clicking on the surfaces you want to unfold in order. Something like the canopy is a little complicated to unfold because you need to unfold the "strips" separately but keep them joined together.

DamoRC
 

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
She flew!

Cut some "gill" like intakes into the nacelles and managed to get her up to ~3.5 lbs of static thrust. Also managed to shave some weight off by removing a chunk of the excess motor wiring so final AUW was ~4lb 2oz. She flies nice, but slower than I would like given the power she should have. Managed to get a roll and a loop in. I will add thrust tubes to the EDFs this week.

Thanks to Adam for the launch and Dan for taking the vid.


DamoRC
 
Last edited:

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Looks like it flies nice but it also looks like it is at the edge of a stall because of the speed/size.
 

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Looks like it flies nice but it also looks like it is at the edge of a stall because of the speed/size.

Thanks Ketchup!

Apart from the couple of times where I deliberately slowed her down with a lot of up elevator to see what her stall tendencies were, I think she flew pretty well.

Had her up twice today and flew her pretty aggressively and really enjoyed it. Both times I did the hand launch myself and I think my back will be feeling it tomorrow. She's a beast to throw with enough speed so the launches are definitely on the edge of stalling.

Going to do some more work on the intakes and install thrust tubes to see if I can get her to fly faster.

DamoRC
 

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
If it rains one day, will the grass at bay lands be dry the next day around 10 am (or at least as dry as usual)? I want to know if it will be possible to fly this weekend, Thanks!
 

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
If it rains one day, will the grass at bay lands be dry the next day around 10 am (or at least as dry as usual)? I want to know if it will be possible to fly this weekend, Thanks!

For these types of questions, just PM me. Sent you a PM re weather and Baylands.

DamoRC
 
Last edited:

EDinCT

Member
I like how you were able to make the rounded fuse on this. I’m hoping to learn how so my next build won’t be all square. What kind of paint did you use? You have given me an idea for my build! :)
 

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I use the Rustoleum Spray cans that you get at home depot. I tried two different "silver / chrome" type paints when building the Ohka. The Chrome paint seemed to do the job best in terms of a nice bright silver. Only problem with it is that, although it looks like metal when it hits bare foamboard, it looks more like Chrome when you spray it onto taped areas or stray patches of gorilla or hot glue.

Here is the front of the cans... IMG_3331.JPG

and the names of the paint on the back of the cans...

IMG_3332.JPG .

This is a pic of the wing, taken at an angle so that you can see how the taped aileron looks a lot more shiny than the rest of the wing.

IMG_3333.JPG

DamoRC