200% FT Viggen

dberg97

My son wanted a giant Viggen. I upscaled the FT plans, doubled the thickness of the rudder and main wing, added functional canards, and powered it with twin 70mm EDF. It high alphas at low speeds, is almost impossible to stall, and does some incredible maneuvers thanks to the canards.

Attachments

• IMG_0561.jpeg
    IMG_0561.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
My son wanted a giant Viggen. I upscaled the FT plans, doubled the thickness of the rudder and main wing, added functional canards, and powered it with twin 70mm EDF. It high alphas at low speeds, is almost impossible to stall, and does some incredible maneuvers thanks to the canards.
how did you switch to Depron or keep with DTFB. either way, how many sheets of what did you use?

dberg97

All DTFB. I didn’t keep an accurate count of foam required since my stock has many partial sheets. I do know that I needed to edge join 4 20x30 sheets for each layer of the main wing (8 total), the fuselage was 3 sheets edge joined (I think), and the rudder (also doubled) was the majority of two sheets. 16 total sheets would be my best guess. I should also mention that I added two carbon fiber arrow blanks as wing spars. You can make out their shadows in this pic. You can also see the Velcro in the battery box which was set up for 2 4s. It flew on this setup, but the performance is significantly better with one 6s.

Attachments

• IMG_0560.jpeg
    IMG_0560.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Thanks... That informs a choice to decide to do
It or not ... Van measurements commencing

dberg97

It has a 55” wingspan. Flying with a 6s, it has no issues in flight. My son can almost hover it. I’ve considered trimming 3” off each side of the wings so it fits in the back of the vehicle, but we just leave the tailgate open as it’s just a short drive to the field.