Bücker Bü 180 Student Swappable - design, build, and review log

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
I need to start cutting foam on this one. Can't make up my mind about which one I should build first.........nnBucker or nnChipmunk.

I'd say flip a coin and get building. You really can't go wrong. I had a blast. I got my best video today, too.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks guys! :-D

Jaxx if you're having trouble choosing I'd say first you'll want to decide what type of flying you wanna do. The nnBucker is capable but really it's a lazy fly. The nnChipmunk is more of an all around performer, it will hover and glide but it can also kick it up a notch with no issues.

Last edited:

Jaxx

Thanks guy! :-D

Jaxx if you're having trouble choosing I'd say first you'll want to decide what type of flying you wanna do. The nnBucker is capable but really it's a lazy fly. The nnChipmunk is more of an all around performer, it will hover and glide but it can also kick it up a notch with no issues.

In that case, I think I'll go with the nnChipmunk first, then build the nnBucker after that. I recently started going to this field near my house. It's not a club, just a place where guys meet up and fly. They are always amazed by my foamies (they all fly store-bought models). They call me the Flite Test Master, or something like that. I think they are going to love these two planes.

Hey Nic, did you make plans for the canopy on your 100% spitfire?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
In that case, I think I'll go with the nnChipmunk first, then build the nnBucker after that. I recently started going to this field near my house. It's not a club, just a place where guys meet up and fly. They are always amazed by my foamies (they all fly store-bought models). They call me the Flite Test Master, or something like that. I think they are going to love these two planes.

Hey Nic, did you make plans for the canopy on your 100% spitfire?

Haha, that's totally my experience too. Some just call me flitetest. I think you'll love the nnChipmunk! Make sure to post a thread!

I don't have plans for the canopy but I can get them made here soon.

Jaxx

Haha, that's totally my experience too. Some just call me flitetest. I think you'll love the nnChipmunk! Make sure to post a thread!

I don't have plans for the canopy but I can get them made here soon.

I'm going to start airbrushing these builds. Can't wait to see how they react. I will definitely post a thread. Just let me know whenever you get the canopy plans done. I know you're a busy guy, so I really appreciate it.

JohnRambozo

Nice! Look forward to seeing it.

Here it is. I'm not sure if its still processing. Hopefully HD will be available soon. I saved it in an HD format. This was filmed with my tx iphone mount. Getting better with the angle. I still couldn't see the screen because of glare.

Last edited:

Jaxx

I can't believe you recorded the video yourself. The plane flies great! What power setup are you using? After seeing the yellow paint you used, I want to paint one of my planes yellow.

JohnRambozo

I can't believe you recorded the video yourself. The plane flies great! What power setup are you using? After seeing the yellow paint you used, I want to paint one of my planes yellow.

That's my third attempt at filming while flying using my tx mounted periscope. It makes filming amazingly intuitive. I just turn my body to face the plane. The amount of up and down movement is very minimal. It does still take some concentration but not nearly as much as holding a camera in your hand.

I'm using the Suppo 2217/7 1250kv with Suppo 30A ESC. The ESC isn't great, so I'm only spinning an 9x4.7SF prop. Anything faster overheats the ESC. I'm going to replace it with a better quality ESC soon so I can go a little faster. Even still, the plane is plenty stable, as you can see, at only 50% throttle. I never gave it more than that in the video.

I've actually been told there was a mixup at the factory where some Suppo 20A's were mislabeled as 30A. I tried a new one on the Bucker with a 9x6E and didn't just overheat, it cooked, then smoked my motor. Luckily the motor seems to still be working.

Jaxx

It's amazing how well that filming aparatus works. I like the Dynam ESCs. They seem to work well. Thanks for sharing the video. I'm thinking about getting the Turnigy HD ActionCam with a GoPro head mount to film my flights.

JohnRambozo

It's amazing how well that filming aparatus works. I like the Dynam ESCs. They seem to work well. Thanks for sharing the video. I'm thinking about getting the Turnigy HD ActionCam with a GoPro head mount to film my flights.

I'm sure a head mount is as intuitive as it gets. I will admit there were a few moments where I was unsure what I was doing. haha. Although that may not have been because of the video... I tend to have those moments anyway.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Here it is. I'm not sure if its still processing. Hopefully HD will be available soon. I saved it in an HD format. This was filmed with my tx iphone mount. Getting better with the angle. I still couldn't see the screen because of glare.

Looks great man! One of the guys from RC groups lost his nnBucker the other day while trying to teach a friend to fly ;'( I am glad your's is still going strong!

My original is actually no longer in existence. I got about 20 hours out of her and then gave her to egunderson from the forums. I wasn't there when it happened, but he said she didn't go down easy.

JohnRambozo

Looks great man! One of the guys from RC groups lost his nnBucker the other day while trying to teach a friend to fly ;'( I am glad your's is still going strong!

My original is actually no longer in existence. I got about 20 hours out of her and then gave her to egunderson from the forums. I wasn't there when it happened, but he said she didn't go down easy.

Oh no! What do you mean, "lost"? Was it destroyed beyond repair or flown out of sight never to be seen again?

I try to keep the nnBucker immaculate. Its my fancy plane. haha. My Spit is the beater. It has been crashed and repaired so many times, there's probably more hot glue than foam at this point.

jayz 84

My original is actually no longer in existence. I got about 20 hours out of her and then gave her to egunderson from the forums. I wasn't there when it happened, but he said she didn't go down easy.[/QUOTE]

That was cool you gave her away but sux it dident make it. I just killed my 67% spit yesterday doing highspeed
Runs weaving in and out of the pine trees miss judge my distance.alls i saw was pine cones flying everywhere;)

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Oh no! What do you mean, "lost"? Was it destroyed beyond repair or flown out of sight never to be seen again?

I try to keep the nnBucker immaculate. Its my fancy plane. haha. My Spit is the beater. It has been crashed and repaired so many times, there's probably more hot glue than foam at this point.

Crashed o.o

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor

That was cool you gave her away but sux it dident make it. I just killed my 67% spit yesterday doing highspeed
Runs weaving in and out of the pine trees miss judge my distance.alls i saw was pine cones flying everywhere;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah I'm gonna start doing that with my first builds, after I fly them a bit and make sure they are solid, I'm gonna give it away. I am hoping others will get to enjoy my designs too, and sometimes the best way is to just give someone a plane, haha.

JohnRambozo

Runs weaving in and out of the pine trees miss judge my distance.alls i saw was pine cones flying everywhere;)

Yeah I'm gonna start doing that with my first builds, after I fly them a bit and make sure they are solid, I'm gonna give it away. I am hoping others will get to enjoy my designs too, and sometimes the best way is to just give someone a plane, haha.[/QUOTE]

I can see it now, "Win an original nerdnic: The Contest".

Jaxx

JohnRambozo,

Did you use NerdNic's design technique for designing the H-1 and creating the plans? What software did you use?