Baa Baa Black Sheep, Have you any wool? Yes Sir, Yes Sir three Planes full!

mayan

Legendary member
I know it's been a looooooooooong time since I brought up my interest in this plane on this thread, but I had a lot happen at the time that I was about to begin the build. My interest in the plane never really left...just had some other stuff going on. :)

Glad to say that I am picking up where I left off. Originally was going to be scratchbuilding, but I decided to mix it up and support the FT guys in these crazy pandemic times and purchase a speed build kit. Figured it would help me get it together a little faster too. The kit should be here Friday and I'll probably start on it over the weekend.

I'm pretty stoked to learn some new build techniques and make a beautiful (well as beautiful as I can) Corsair. I had pondered doing retracts originally, but I think I may pass on it. Let the fun begin! :D
I actually recommend you do the retracts if you can this model so deserves it.

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks @Jimun and @PoorManRC ! And yeah I've heard she's a nice flyer too.

I think doing the speedbuild is a good approach to start on these new techniques. Then maybe later I can scratchbuild one.

@mayan ...I know, it's one of those planes that should have them! It's still early and I may change my mind (Lord knows I change my mind a lot anyways!). I'll have to do some digging around to see if I could find some for a decent price. Guys on this thread, I believe, were using some sort of Dynam retracts.

mayan

Legendary member

I think doing the speedbuild is a good approach to start on these new techniques. Then maybe later I can scratchbuild one.

@mayan ...I know, it's one of those planes that should have them! It's still early and I may change my mind (Lord knows I change my mind a lot anyways!). I'll have to do some digging around to see if I could find some for a decent price. Guys on this thread, I believe, were using some sort of Dynam retracts.
There was one place that I saw that explained how to DIY and make them can’t recall where though. If it hits me I’ll post it here.

PoorManRC

Master member

Even some decent static Landing Gear would be good...
But of course, Retracts would be so cool 😎

Berekiah

Retracts on this Corsair add a lot to this build. Looks, Scale, and Versatility to name a few. It does have its downsides however. The weight is a factor, and you find out pretty quickly why take off's and landings are difficult on a tail dragger while dealing with torque.

I started with they Dynam retracts and they worked well for around 5 medium hard landings. Then the gears stripped and they were useless. I have switched to the more expensive eflite metal retracts which are working well, but have added much more expense to this model. If I had to do it again I would love to find a DIY approach that is lighter and easier to maintain.

All this to say if I did it again I would add retracts every time :)

basslord1124

Master member
Just out of curiosity, which Eflite retracts did you use @Berekiah ?

I'm looking there just to get an idea. In the end though, I'll probably do a DIY thing if I settle on retracts.

I've honestly never done retracts on a plane before, so this would be a first for me.

Berekiah

Just out of curiosity, which Eflite retracts did you use @Berekiah ?

I'm looking there just to get an idea. In the end though, I'll probably do a DIY thing if I settle on retracts.

I've honestly never done retracts on a plane before, so this would be a first for me.

I used the ones you can find here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGVNNYY/?tag=lstir-20

They are a bit longer then the ones for the dynam Corsair below, but a lot stronger so far.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNPBHQ9/?tag=lstir-20

basslord1124

Master member
Got the speed build kit and had already begun putting it together. Only pic I have at the moment...

corsair spar and wing.jpg

Since this pic has been taken I have gotten both upper wing skin sections finished. Leaving the bottoms off until I decide on the retract thing. The build techniques aren't too bad to get used to.

5546dug

Thanks,
I did design and 3d print the mounts. They have slots that I glued the cut spar ends into with gorilla glue and also fit against the cross piece to act as a fillet. It ended up very strong, if not stronger than before. The rear wheel was tricky indeed. Although not ideal, I again printed a swivel mount for the wheel that came with the dynam retracts. I also printed a limiting stop to keep the swivel from turning more than 90° in any direction. It could easily be made steerable, if I had done it before the fuselage was assembled by attaching it to the rudder pushrod, however with the fuselage assembled and already having difficulty with the rudder pushrod sticking, I didn't want to screw it up. Perhaps a version 2 will happen when this one crashes😜
I forgot to take pictures of the tailwheel assembly, as I was too excited to finish, and at the moment it is masked off for paint. But here are some more pics of the mounting bracket. View attachment 140915
View attachment 140916 View attachment 140917 View attachment 140918
jVos

do you still have the STL file for this mount?
doug

JVos

jVos

do you still have the STL file for this mount?
doug
Yes I do. After they print you will need to notch out the tabs to fit the spar and also print some shims. But if you are willing to fiddle with it I can share them 👍

JVos

Yes I do. After they print you will need to notch out the tabs to fit the spar and also print some shims. But if you are willing to fiddle with it I can share them 👍
Just don't forget to print a mirror for the opposite side and at least 4 wedges to adjust the angle they fit in the wing.

Attachments

• retract mount v1.stl
    69.8 KB · Views: 0
  • retract wedge v1.stl
    10.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190729_182700.jpg
    20190729_182700.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190729_230203.jpg
    20190729_230203.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190729_230140.jpg
    20190729_230140.jpg
    965.4 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I finished and maidened the Corsair today!! It flies amazing - so smooth and scale! I flew it with the radial C pack motor and a 2200 3s and the power was perfect! I'm going to paint it up this week! I'll get pictures when I get a chance.

DRT

It has taken quite a while to get my Corsair all together, but here it is in all its glory.

View attachment 144826

Above was my first pic after a long night of getting all the decals placed on and final detail work done before the next day's maiden. Below are a few pics of the Corsair as I got it ready for its maiden flight in order to preserve something in case things go wrong...
Bruh, this is amazing! Reminds me of the real deal! 2 things: Where did you get the decals and what are the details on the landing gear? (Edit, found earlier in this thread about the landing gear, it seems nobody has them anymore. still didn't see anything about the decals)

Last edited:

Berekiah

Bruh, this is amazing! Reminds me of the real deal! 2 things: Where did you get the decals and what are the details on the landing gear? (Edit, found earlier in this thread about the landing gear, it seems nobody has them anymore. still didn't see anything about the decals)

Sorry I didn't see your post till now. For the decals I used Callie Graphics 1/11th scale. Also even though I used the Dynam landing gear initially they collapsed after 5-6 flights so I had to replace them with Eflite's gear which is more expensive, but they have lasted better.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGVNNYY/?tag=lstir-20

basslord1124

Master member
Got some work done on the fuse while I wait on the retracts to come in...

corsair_fuse_pieces.jpg

corsair_formers_resize.jpg

I don't think the build process has been all that bad. I have still been trying a mix of hotglue and Titebond wood glue which can be a little trickier than other builds due to the pieces possibly shifting more. So...I am using more hotglue than Titebond at times.

As John mentioned in the build video...the rear part of the fuse was a tough one to work with. Managed to wrinkle the paper on mine a good bit, BUT in the end it should be ok.

If I keep the progress up, I should have more of the fuse done tomorrow.

mayan

Legendary member
Got some work done on the fuse while I wait on the retracts to come in...

View attachment 170131

View attachment 170132

I don't think the build process has been all that bad. I have still been trying a mix of hotglue and Titebond wood glue which can be a little trickier than other builds due to the pieces possibly shifting more. So...I am using more hotglue than Titebond at times.

As John mentioned in the build video...the rear part of the fuse was a tough one to work with. Managed to wrinkle the paper on mine a good bit, BUT in the end it should be ok.

If I keep the progress up, I should have more of the fuse done tomorrow.
Looks good so far I would though highly recommend you sheet the inside of the main fuselage with a 1mm sheet of balsa wood for extra strength :).