Baa Baa Black Sheep, Have you any wool? Yes Sir, Yes Sir three Planes full!

Jimun

Elite member
In the web-based software do a search for public or shared projects, use the tag airplane. Hopefully it will show a couple of my designs. You can't add tags, so airplane was as close as I could get. :rolleyes:

I'll post the ones for my Spitfire in a second. (at least give you a starting point.
I think I've got the scale about right, when you cut you'll want to set the number of copies to 2 (that should give you enough roundels.)
I don't see a way to view public or shared projects. They show a community but in searching I did not see yours. There is a setting to check for the public to see it. Maybe I just don't see how to find it yet. I will keep searching. I did lay out some roundels in coreldraw and exported to svg. I am watching videos on working with vinyl so I can give it a try.

kilroy07

Legendary member
I don't see a way to view public or shared projects. They show a community but in searching I did not see yours. There is a setting to check for the public to see it. Maybe I just don't see how to find it yet. I will keep searching. I did lay out some roundels in coreldraw and exported to svg. I am watching videos on working with vinyl so I can give it a try.
So, it used to allow copying a URL...
This time it looks like facebook and pintrest... (Neither one I am a fan of...) But I hate pintrest less, so try this;
https://www.pinterest.com/timothycwright0/flite-test-vinyl-decals-for-spitfire/

That should take you to the cricut link, where you can click on my name and see the other designs.

Jimun

Elite member
My 1st attempt at cutting and applying vinyl.:)

Corsair 16.JPG

The color was off on the roundels. I might pull these off and try again later. I did not get out and fly this weekend, just to busy. If I don't work on Friday I plan on the maiden for the Corsair.:D

Jimun

Elite member
Well here is my maiden guys:). I did a test glide to check CG and it seemed to be ok.:unsure:

Am I the 1st one to do this to the Master Series Corsair?:eek:

This was painful but it still made me laugh.:LOL:

I had a z-bend in a control horn that was clicking when it changed directions and I think one of the push rods was binding up a little on me. I think I was tail heavy. I will look to see if I can put her back together and make a couple of adjustments to fix her up again.

On the plans it says CG 2". Does that mean 2" back from the leading edge of the wing?
Let me know what you guys see so I can get this to fly right. Thank you in advanced.

I think I will be starting the Spitfire now to. So many projects.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Well here is my maiden guys:). I did a test glide to check CG and it seemed to be ok.:unsure:

I had a z-bend in a control horn that was clicking when it changed directions and I think one of the push rods was binding up a little on me. I think I was tail heavy. I will look to see if I can put her back together and make a couple of adjustments to fix her up again.

On the plans it says CG 2". Does that mean 2" back from the leading edge of the wing?
Let me know what you guys see so I can get this to fly right. Thank you in advanced.

I agree, it was definitely tail heavy I think.
I balanced mine right where the front spar was.

Wait, I see your problem now... the cockpit was painted over and the pilot couldn't see out! :ROFLMAO:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

Definitely tail heavy. I was really impressed with your saves at the launch. That looked like a battle! The damage didn't look too bad in the video. I hope you're able to get her airborne again.

The two inch CG does mean back from the leading edge. I take the CG location with a grain of salt, though. Bixler would be the first to say that all builds are different. I can't nail down the CG until the plane has been flown. With my TT's as the exception, every single plane I've made has needed nose weight. It may just be the way I build them.

bracesport

Legendary member
@Jimun - very impressive regardless - I thought the saves were great then it looked like it was flying OK till you said it was a handful - Your build was sterling! ;)

I had some crashing recently that was mysterious until I found a component on the BEC that had broken free and was only intermittently making contact with the board - then I realised why it was falling out of the sky! :D

mayan

Legendary member
@Jimun I think you did a great job regardless the crash in the end. You’ve built a beautiful looking plane, saved it more than once on launch and did a few nice rounds with it. I think your crash was mainly due to stress you were under trying to bring her in when she started heading towards the cars. I can only wish my maiden goes as well as yours did.

Hope to get my maiden in soon.

Jimun

Elite member
Here is what the push rod guide for the rudder looked liked.

Corsair 24.JPG

There were a lot of curves the rod had to do to get to the servo. So I punched some new holes to get more of a straight run through the fuselage.
Here is a picture that shows the old hole and the new one with the new guide in it.

Corsair 25.JPG

bracesport

Legendary member
@Jimun - I have long resigned myself to expect my planes to come home in at least that condition - however hitting an immovable object with any speed is never great :eek: - I have used a couple of FBs including the Adams Rediboard (DTFB) - The DTFB is certainly the lightest (sometimes a tad too light) with the SPIT build board being under 5mm thick - the 'master series' techniques build a beautiful plane, but the consequences (like any craftsman builds) are costly (in this case costly on your time)!

I was super impressed with your maiden regardless of the outcome and can see how much progress you have made with your flying - I was thinking about @CarolineTyler 's post for her forward-swept wing jet, with the comment about the high expo's that were used in the maiden - I have been wondering whether there is something to learn here with the Corsair? :D

Jimun

Elite member
Here is the progress of the repairs I made today. I felt to post these pictures to help newbies like me and others to see that with a little bit of thinking, and asking when needed, you can repair the FB planes to fly again.

No more binding of the push rod.:)

Corsair 31.JPG

I cut and glued some FB to support the break.

Corsair 26.JPG

I did several test fits to make sure I could line it up correctly before I added the glue at this step.

Corsair 27.JPG

Added the glue and pushed together and lined it up and double checked it be fore adding the tape to hold it while the glue dried

Corsair 28.JPG

Glue is dried and the joint looks good. Now to add some packing tape to enforce it more.

Corsair 29.JPG

Corsair 30.JPG

I then worked on the wing by glue all the loose parts back together. I found I had cracked a spar to so I had to glue it back together as well.

OK it does look flyable again.:D But I can't find my hatch cover. I think I left it at the crash site. I will go by there and see if by chance it is still there. If not I will have to build a new one.

Corsair 32.JPG

I did work on the CG some. This plane seems to want to drop the nose or tail with the slightest change in the weight or balance points. I have tried to get it to stay at a balance so I could see where it lined up. But any change it would just begin to go nose down or tail down. I am just using my fingers for now. I have been thinking of using some dowels or pencils stuck in some wood. I just haven't got to it yet.
I did add a couple of ounces of tire weights. Do you guys think this is good of should I do something else?